Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoking In Public Banned

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Thats a tad extreme Vid

yes it is and i make no appology for it.
    Dave made the point that we have a choice to enter a bar etc. where smoking is permitted, and he is correct, i see his viewpoint and understand it even though i disagree with it. However would you say that as a non smoker i should be forced to not use the sidewalk etc. if i wish to avoid second hand smoke?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    yes it is and i make no appology for it.
    Dave made the point that we have a choice to enter a bar etc. where smoking is permitted, and he is correct, i see his viewpoint and understand it even though i disagree with it. However would you say that as a non smoker i should be forced to not use the sidewalk etc. if i wish to avoid second hand smoke?
    Well I'd like to bring up the traffic pollution point here but I think someone has already said earlier on that its a moot point so i'm just going to shush and say I think its extreme & wrong.

Its certainly more ventilated outside than any pub's smoking section would be

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Well I'd like to bring up the traffic pollution point here but I think someone has already said earlier on that its a moot point so i'm just going to shush and say I think its extreme & wrong.

Its certainly more ventilated outside than any pub's smoking section would be
    yes i was the one that raised it ...one doesn't excuse the other.

I will say that i also find it totally unaceptable that with the technology we have today we are not producing engines that are all but polutant (harmful polutant) free. I am not making a case to excuse one and allow the other...all poluters should clean up their acts.

I admit i am being hypocritical as we drive several large poluting vehicles. We have the best anti polution fittings available however they fall way short of what i would like to see as standard.....

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Many times i have been walking on a crowded sidewalk behind a smoker. The fact that it was outside didn't stop the smoke going up my nose.
    Studies have shown conclusively that liberals attract cigarette smoke.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Poster
    I smoke, but am extremely conscious of not smoking in the presence of non smokers.

One of the things that concerns me about laws like this is regulating compliance.

If you are going to pass a law such as this, I would hope a lot of thought would go into the added manpower needed by the police force which will be responsible for compliance.

I don't know. Seems like an overwhelming task when there are a lot of other crimes to see to.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    If you are going to pass a law such as this, I would hope a lot of thought would go into the added manpower needed by the police force which will be responsible for compliance.
    try to look at it as an opportunity for new jobs to replace those lost due to technology advancements and outsourcing

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Studies have shown conclusively that liberals attract cigarette smoke.
    obviously.

Who or what in it's right mind would wish to be anywhere near a conservative?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Poster
    try to look at it as an opportunity for new jobs to replace those lost due to technology advancements and outsourcing

Save a tax dollar here, expend another one there, huh?

By that same logic: You know, I really would like to quit smoking. But if I did, it would cut back on the cigarette tax money going to support our state health insurance, etc. I hate to cut into that subsidy.
    Last edited by Everose; 01-11-2005 at 01:08 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    No, try to look at it for what it is:

Your nanny government at work.

Boab-your farting days are coming to an end.

Government coercion will be in full swing when they legislate the No Farting in Public slate, while the "health" lobbies discover that a diet of pea-soup lowers cholesterol levels in pigs, and ram through a mandatory regimen of same for you-know-who.

Sounds like a real gas to me.
    Last edited by j2k4; 01-11-2005 at 01:42 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    No, try to look at it for what it is:

Your nanny government at work.

I have a nanny government?

by that i take it that you think drugs should be legal?...oh and drink driving.

but lets look at that from the other angle....

Limit rights to sue for damage to our health while at the same time make sure that government doesn't interfere with the right to polute or partake in any activity that is harmful to the health of others.

but you are right... i don't want mercury and arsnic in my drinking water...but rather that than have the government poke its nose in to stop it happening.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast