Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titan: Is Revealed

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    @vidcc: It is a BBC series called "Top Gear".
    Eh? The series where he lists inventions that the US claimed credit for which were actually attributable to other countries.

I must have missed that episode
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I think the Titan landing is fantastic.

Europe has started to pull its weight in the space exploration stakes and although the Mars lander came a cropper (why do so many Mars landers fail?
    ) the orbiter is sending back really good information.

This latest joint venture is the way ahead and with the USA, Russia and Europe working on the International Space Station we are achieving more off world than on at the moment.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    (why do so many Mars landers fail?)
    Teh Martians shoot em down?
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 01-15-2005 at 07:44 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Teh Martians shoot em down?
    Might be because we'd get all excited about the pyramids that incorporate phi and pi. Also the 'face' with the nemes headdress.

I think the face has been shown in detail now and debunked but the pyramids still look interesting.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Jeremy Clarkson is a clueless petrolhead who once lifted the bonnet of a Jag - but only to show us the new V8 engine.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    thanks for the help chaps...i moved to the lounge so not to spam in here...seems there is more than one actual prog. i am thinking of but with the same (seemingly) unpopular person presenting

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    (why do so many Mars landers fail? )
    The current theory I think is that the air pressure was a lot lower than they were anticipating, so that beagle II's parachutes were ineffective.

I think the whole Cassini-Huygens mission has been fantastic so far, the orbital insertion of Cassini around Saturn last summer was a phenomenal achievement, when you consider the distances (and time lags) involved. Bear in mind also that the entire Huygens landing was automated... It's engineering and programming at it's very finest..

It just goes to show that advanced rufty tufty computers and robots will be better equipped to explore space in the future than frail human beings...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    As there is an atmosphere of sorts on Titan, this is really exciting....I can't wait for more info....the pic of Titan is my desktop as of now...

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    We are entering the world of Star Trek and we just don't know it yet. Understand, as a person educated in grade school during the 70's, this was all sci-fi, we didn't know that any other planet had rings other than Saturn, Black Holes were the things of science fiction novels and B movies, and landing probes all over the Solar System? Ha!

I was interested in Cassini-Huygens when I found out about it in the 90's and to see that all work out really brings out the geek in me. Just amazing to be able to predict to such a degree the time, distance, gravity etc needed to pull this thing off, it truly is mind boggling.

And the very reason I have hope for this race and this planet, because there are some very smart people and one day we will be a very smart race.

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12