Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Beatles

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@2 April 2003 - 13:35
    j2k4- I go back even further (1950) and yes, they were a phenomonon on Ed Sullivan, but really more for the look and enthusiasm than the music ( hell, you could hardly hear the music&#33. At first they played well crafted, well played pop songs that really weren't that much different than everybody else.
    But then...WTF? They started pulling songs out of thin air unlike anything I'd ever heard. Everybody always cites Sgt. Pepper's as the seminal album, but looking back , the song "Eleanor Rigby" really was totally unlike anything else on the radio at the time. And it still sounds good.
    YES! You've nailed it-Eleanor Rigby was it for me, too. I remember thinking, "Strings? STRINGS?" It was great-Lights came on all over the place.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Music   -   #12
    Poster
    I don't like te beatles , I think they R not from my time. But I am sure they've had a great influence on music history

3. Music   -   #13
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by marine_aart@2 April 2003 - 15:54
    I don't like te beatles , I think they R not from my time. But I am sure they've had a great influence on music history
    Zo te zien hou jij nergens van... niet van Jazz en niet van The Beatles.. waar hou je wel van eigenlijk?

Translation: It looks like you don't like anything... Jazz or The Beatles... what do you like?

This is because a previous reply on a music question!

4. Music   -   #14
    Poster
    Well I like rock/metal/rap/hardhouse/hardcore ok?

translation: nou ik hou van rock/metal/rap/hardhouse/hardcore ok ? stomme vraag, check mijn topic

5. Music   -   #15
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I always find it odd to hear someone say they don't like The Beatles. Anyone with a history of music listening knows that there have been 2-3 generations of artists since the Beatles fundamentally changed the way music is produced. They have influenced(directly & indirectly) virtually every band/artist/genre in the last 30 years(whether they know it or not). With their use of lyrics and recording techniques they've ingrained so deeply in our musical past, it's imperceptible to anyone under that age of 30. They cannot see the trees through the forrest.

6. Music   -   #16
    i'm only 18 just now, so when the beatles were originally performing, i never heard them. however, the Beatles are played every friday in the student union at my uni. normally i'm just in playing pool or whatever and i don't really listen to the lyrics, but the beats and the actual music sounds really good, even today. i think that the music has obviously lost some of its appeal to the younger public, it's audience has grown old with the music, but there is still some appeal for the music in todays generations. and of course, the music of the beatles arguably inspired music of many other artists from the 60's to the present day

7. Music   -   #17
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@17 April 2003 - 20:49
    i'm only 18 just now, so when the beatles were originally performing, i never heard them. however, the Beatles are played every friday in the student union at my uni. normally i'm just in playing pool or whatever and i don't really listen to the lyrics, but the beats and the actual music sounds really good, even today. i think that the music has obviously lost some of its appeal to the younger public, it's audience has grown old with the music, but there is still some appeal for the music in todays generations. and of course, the music of the beatles arguably inspired music of many other artists from the 60's to the present day
    You get it, then-I'm so pleased.
    Historical perspective is necessary, even vital.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12