Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The horrible effects of global warming....

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa
    Oh, and try to reduce the impact we are making on the environment. Just in case, like, you know?

Oh, and be nice to animals. (Well, we just should be!)

Go hug a tree, already.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 12:01 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Go hug a tree, already.
    That can be dangerous if there is a squirrel collecting nuts.

If one believes in the global warming theory or not one still can't deny that polution is not a good thing.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    I dunno', I always thought pol was a nice bloke.

Pollution is bad tho'.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by UKResident
    j2k4, as incredible as it may seem, global warming could well bring on another ice age.
    UKResident:

As incredible as it may seem, I am well aware of this odd fact and phenomenon (I am actually reasonably well-versed on the subject), but chose to employ the terribly convenient irony provided thereby to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re.....re-re-re-re-re-re-re-raise the issue, which has been thrashed within an inch of it's life untold times hereabout.

Perhaps you missed this, somehow?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    Hobbes: That particular article was indeed based on local conditions, however, it has global consequences. If stress, in the form of drought, or anything else, can cause forests to emit CO2, changing weather patterns, such as El Ninos, could have catastrophic effects in unexpected ways.
    When I proposed that plants might pick up the extra CO2 and thus grow more vigorously, you posted an article that a particular forest was emitting CO2, suggesting, I thought, that with excess CO2, the plants were not stepping up their usage.

Upon reading the article I noticed that it was lack of water, not excessive CO2 that was the problem, so my premise might still stand that in the presence of adequate water and sunlight, plants might grow more vigorously than before.

We all know that local weather patterns vary, and there are times of starvation and bounty for plants and animals alike.

Since I see no reason for global warming to cause drought, I'm not sure what point you were making.

I agree that anytime one changes the components of an environment it adjusts to a new equilibrium, with sometimes drastic changes.

I just felt compelled to make my statement because it seemed to me that the original poster was mouthing words he did not fully understand.
    Last edited by hobbes; 01-25-2005 at 12:37 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    UKResident:

As incredible as it may seem, I am well aware of this odd fact and phenomenon (I am actually reasonably well-versed on the subject), but chose to employ the terribly convenient irony provided thereby to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re.....re-re-re-re-re-re-re-raise the issue, which has been thrashed within an inch of it's life untold times hereabout.

Perhaps you missed this, somehow?
    Busy at the club, no doubt.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Busy at the club, no doubt.
    No doubt.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    l see, you were just trolling, well that's OK then, after all, you are a Conservative.

Perhaps a 'Trolling' smiley would make your intentions clearer, l shall search for one for you. Here you go ->

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Go hug a tree, already.
    Can't fucking find one...

10. The Drawing Room   -   #60
    l see, you were just trolling, well that's OK then, after all, you are a Conservative.

Perhaps a 'Trolling' smiley would make your intentions clearer, l shall search for one for you. Here you go ->
    Explain? I am assuming that this post is not directed at me since I am NOT a conservative and any claim that I was trolling is patently specious.

My initial post clearly indicted that pollution was a problem.

I went on to say that people not fully vested in the subject were running around like "chiken little's" screaming that the sky was falling.

Where is the CO2 going? To plants. We don't have to wish it away. CO2 is a critical element in the cycle of plant/animal symbiosis. I felt his comments were a bit hysterical.

I was making a point.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast