Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Using the Files You've Downloaded

thanks.Just found out about the .nfo files.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #22
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Nice guide, very nice.

yo

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #23
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    DAMN NFO Viewer v2.10.0031.RC3

DAMN NFO Viewer is an utility for viewing text files containing ASCII Art (e.g. nfo files), and it proved itself to be handy =) So... if you're fed up with starting some DOS-like file manager each time you need to view nfo file, or ain't too happy with the viewer you use, or (worst case) use Notepad - give this little tool a try.

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #24
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    A nice guide IKE....regarding audio,your didn't mention any lossless audio codecs such as Shorten (shn.), FLAC (.flack), and Monkey's Audio (.ape)

Peace bd
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 01-26-2005 at 08:53 AM.

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #25
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie
    A nice guide IKE....regarding audio,your didn't mention any lossless audio codecs such as Shorten (shn.), FLAC (.flack), and Monkey's Audio (.ape)

Peace bd
    Maybe you can help me with some info for lossless audio codecs because I dont know a thing about it

all I have now is:

-Unlike lossy codecs such as MP3, the mathematically-lossless audio codecs provide compression with no loss in quality. They are perfect for archiving digital audio with 2:1-3:1 compression ratio.

-he term "lossless" implies no loss. Lossy codecs (such as MP3 and Musepack) generate smaller files by discarding selected bits contained in the original songs, Lossless codecs, on the other hand, keep all the audio information contained in the original song. Lossless codecs merely shrink the size of the original file/song by compressing it
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 01-26-2005 at 02:02 PM.

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #26
    Lossless is also not scene standard as many people do not see the difference between lossy and lossless. Also MP3 is a small format and has massive support from music players such as Ipod where as Lossless does not. Download DBPowerAmp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/) and install a few of the codecs you need (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm). This program can convert from lossless into MP3 and hundreds of other formats.

Also please remember;
    * Highest Possible Quality - go for a lossless (it looses no sound quality) codec such as Monkeys Audio,
    * Compromise on Space - best lossy would be Musepack above 160Kbps it cannot be beaten,
    * Most Compatible - that would be mp3, it is built into dBpowerAMP so no need to download it,
    * Portable Player - if supported by your flash memory player go for Windows Media Audio and fit more audio tracks, if you have an iPod go for the newest mp4!

Something like that would do
    Last edited by Peerzy; 01-26-2005 at 07:21 PM.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #27
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Add IZArc. IZArc compresses to 11 formats. IZArc decompresses over 30 formats. No other zip utility comes close. And it's freeware!

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #28
    delenca
    This is a great guide. I also like your guide to DVD Recordable Formats. One topic that's not covered, however, is the intersection between these two areas - namely, "software to convert from various video formats and burn to DVD". There are a variety of options out there but there's a wide variety of formats and options that make the process very confusing and difficult to predict. For instance, I downloaded a few soccer games in four different formats, .avi, .wmv, .mpg, and .rmvb. With a few different players and all the correctly installed codecs I can watch all of these formats on my computer. However, I would like to burn them all on DVD and be able to watch them on my TV. That step is much more challenging! What software is the de-facto standard for this process (converting)?

Good job. Any help much appreciated,
    Alex

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #29
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by delenca
    This is a great guide. I also like your guide to DVD Recordable Formats. One topic that's not covered, however, is the intersection between these two areas - namely, "software to convert from various video formats and burn to DVD". There are a variety of options out there but there's a wide variety of formats and options that make the process very confusing and difficult to predict. For instance, I downloaded a few soccer games in four different formats, .avi, .wmv, .mpg, and .rmvb. With a few different players and all the correctly installed codecs I can watch all of these formats on my computer. However, I would like to burn them all on DVD and be able to watch them on my TV. That step is much more challenging! What software is the de-facto standard for this process (converting)?

Good job. Any help much appreciated,
    Alex
    Convert guides can be found here

If you have questions that are not related to the guide please post it in the correct section not in the here

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Lossless is also not scene standard as many people do not see the difference between lossy and lossless. Also MP3 is a small format and has massive support from music players such as Ipod where as Lossless does not. Download DBPowerAmp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/) and install a few of the codecs you need (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm). This program can convert from lossless into MP3 and hundreds of other formats.

Also please remember;
    * Highest Possible Quality - go for a lossless (it looses no sound quality) codec such as Monkeys Audio,
    * Compromise on Space - best lossy would be Musepack above 160Kbps it cannot be beaten,
    * Most Compatible - that would be mp3, it is built into dBpowerAMP so no need to download it,
    * Portable Player - if supported by your flash memory player go for Windows Media Audio and fit more audio tracks, if you have an iPod go for the newest mp4!

Something like that would do

Will this be added to the guide or should i have not bothered?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast