Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: A sad commentary on the current state of affairs

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    "I feel bad for leading America into a war with multiple objectives, only to find out that concern over the chief objective was subsequently mitigated or ameliorated by circumstances that cannot be discerned with a degree of specificity satisfactory to my political enemies"
    I'd give him a round of applause if he could say that three times. Really fast.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    If he could say it once I would be impressed.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    J2
    The point being a MISTAKE was made. It matters not if it wasn't intentional. The buck stops with him, this isn't a responsibilty forced upon him...he actively applied to have the responsibility.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    If he could say it once I would be impressed.
    I'm working on that; give me some time.

He keeps tripping on ameliorate, much as he does on new-kew-ler.

It keeps coming out "amercuthiolate", best I can tell.

He has assured me that he would like to say it, almost as much as he wishes that he could say it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    i'd give him applause if he could actually pronounce all of that.

edit: j2 obviously has less distractions so can post faster today and beat me to it
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-01-2005 at 10:12 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    J2 ...this isn't a responsibilty forced upon him...
    Just so, but...

In his capacity as Chief Executive, it is difficult to force anything on him, besides which, when was the last time you heard a President (especially one holding majorities in both houses, as well as every other politically relevent card) apologize for anything?

I honestly can't remember if Slick Willie apologized for banging interns with a cigar, but if he did, the last I remember before that was Nixon, and if any President ever owed an apology for screwing up, it was Carter.

If it is not a matter of serious and sincere political expedience, no apology is ever forthcoming.

I say this not necessarily as a statement of belief with regard to Bush, but as strict political reality.

ALL presidents play the percentages, and there is no percentage in handing out apologies willy (sorry)-nilly.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Appendum:

I also recall a thread stating that any "weapon" can be described as WMD, and thats why they were using that phrase... a rifle can be a "WMD" if you kill enough people with it.

Cant find that thread either though, and i like that one..

The correct term is NBC.

We all know what WMD means. One bomb, one small specimen, clandestine delivery, millions killed.

That whole thread was specious and I know the one you are talking about.

Bush admits there are no WMD, so he did NOT distort the description of a "conventional weapon" to label it as anything other than what it was. Even the old warhead that was found to contain "sarin" or something was dismissed as a non-issue and from a long ago war. The missles that flew beyond the allowed range were also dismissed.

Had he stated we found WMD and presented these items, than you might of had something.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    You asked for posts by members, so i gave a few threads...

For me? I said i could not recall.. however this was in one of those threads.. posted 15th Feb, 2003..

That good enough for you?
    When you go on to state that the whole world knew there were no WMD except those in the US, I take exception to that.

I would think such common knowledge would show up on protest signs and at least one person here would have had the balls to start a thread "I predict no WMD".

Maybe there was more doubt back than our retrospective vision now sees.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Just so, but...

In his capacity as Chief Executive, it is difficult to force anything on him, besides which, when was the last time you heard a President (especially one holding majorities in both houses, as well as every other politically relevent card) apologize for anything?
    I find that interesting considering the thread was started to point out the lack of honor these days.... surely this man of "values" would set an example
    I honestly can't remember if Slick Willie apologized for banging interns with a cigar,
    Why should he?

the ONLY person he owed an applogy to was hillary

but if he did, the last I remember before that was Nixon, and if any President ever owed an apology for screwing up, it was Carter.

If it is not a matter of serious and sincere political expedience, no apology is ever forthcoming.

I say this not necessarily as a statement of belief with regard to Bush, but as strict political reality.

ALL presidents play the percentages, and there is no percentage in handing out apologies willy (sorry)-nilly.
    please clarify this for me.

You start a thread mourning loss of honor, then you justify the lack of honor by using precedents.
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-01-2005 at 11:14 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    It's spelt Presidents.
    no it's not

precedent
    1. An act or instance that may be used as an example in dealing with subsequent similar instances.
    2. Law. A judicial decision that may be used as a standard in subsequent similar cases: a landmark decision that set a legal precedent.
    2. Convention or custom arising from long practice: The President followed historical precedent in forming the Cabinet.
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-02-2005 at 12:06 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast