Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I got a DMCA letter

Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall of Pain
    I called my ISP, and the guy from cox was saying same thing you did, he said if he got it he would laugh and frame it on the wall. He said a lot of people get these....

I mean....I have the movie on DVD at home....

btw, if i am being sued how can i know?
    If you own a real copy of the movie then there is nothing they can do.You just say you downloaded it for a backup.
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    damnit, I wish filesharing was safe

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy27
    If you own a real copy of the movie then there is nothing they can do.You just say you downloaded it for a backup.
    I shared it because bittorrent makes you share

.......so there are two letters? Damn

BTW, I don't check my email that often and I received this 2 weeks ago, and I was downloading after they sent me that until I found out I got it. It was a bad copy of the movie too.

How did that guy receive 3 of them, if the second means that you're getting sued.

And, how much will I have to pay if I get sued for one bad copy of a movie?

I read an article about these DMCA letters and it says that I was cought by a robot, and using that COX will never give out my information, so I guess I'm safe.......but I bet they will be watching me now.
    Last edited by Hall of Pain; 01-30-2005 at 07:28 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall of Pain
    I shared it because bittorrent makes you share

.......so there are two letters? Damn

BTW, I don't check my email that often and I received this 2 weeks ago, and I was downloading after they sent me that until I found out I got it. It was a bad copy of the movie too.

How did that guy receive 3 of them, if the second means that you're getting sued.

And, how much will I have to pay if I get sued for one bad copy of a movie?

I read an article about these DMCA letters and it says that I was cought by a robot, and using that COX will never give out my information, so I guess I'm safe.......but I bet they will be watching me now.
    It's quite possible...if not probable. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    You have been given sound advice by Peerzy,Realitiy and others listen to it.

Stiff upper lip!

Peace bd

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Does that mean you get these letters if you share through bittorrent or kazza. Wot if you just download rarely like once or twice a week and they are old files like old songs and movies old ones. Does this apply. Also will it apply if you download tv programs that haven't aired in a particular country but dont share it.
    Last edited by Flametongue; 01-30-2005 at 09:43 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Flametongue
    Does that mean you get these letters if you share through bittorrent or kazza. Wot if you just download rarely like once or twice a week and they are old files like old songs and movies old ones. Does this apply. Also will it apply if you download tv programs that haven't aired in a particular country but dont share it.
    It doesn't matter, if you share you get caught, thats it. Old files too.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Why are you sharing a bad copy of the movie?

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Why are you sharing a bad copy of the movie?

Hmmm, I had no idea that it was bad....and Bittorrent forces you to share.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    if you mean you were sharing while you downloaded yes. but once its done you can stop & remove the torrent. if you found it was bad once you finished, you should have stopped & deleted it.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    if you mean you were sharing while you downloaded yes. but once its done you can stop & remove the torrent. if you found it was bad once you finished, you should have stopped & deleted it.
    I wasn't there. BTW, I heard somewhere that you need to share as much as you downloaded or bittorrent will go slow for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast