Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Dragons den

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert00000
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles

These are called Capital Allowances and are what are allowable against taxable profit. A business can depreciate its assets anyway it likes, over 1 year or over 20, reducing balance or straight depreciation. However, it matters not one jot to Gordon Brown, as for tax purposes one must use the Treasury CAs and the set rates provided. Investing in Capital Assests purely to soak surplus cash and prevent it being taxed is ok but it will play havoc with your "return on capital employed" ratios.

Sometimes assets are sold, such as a company car, If, on disposable, the value of the realised asset is greater than the written down CAs value then a taxation balance is charged.

The only things that one is allowed a 100% write off in year are computers - and this for only small businesses (Treasury defintion of business size only).

Of course operating expenses are deductable from Gross Profit ... shoes (safety, for the use of) being a good example.

One also has to be careful with investments in items classed as Goods and Chatels (i.e. the missus) as these will be subject to Capital Gains tax on their disposal if a profit is realised.

There are all sorts of other things going on such as rollover, 1980s tax rebasing (twice), change of use etc., which we should all just walk away from and pretend they don't exist.

I hope this makes everything as clear as a pint of Guiness.
    Finally someone who knows what he is talking about. It corresponds with the advice i obtained.
    Yeah, it corresponds with the 'advice' Dan (me, pished) wrote while drunk.

Muppet
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #82
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Dragons Den is back! ftw

They had a little subtle dig at Rachel Elnaugh about previous business success right at the end, which also ftw

Rachel Elnaugh is allegedly using her "substantial personal fortune" to finance any investments she might want to make during the course of the series

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789