Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you guys think?

Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by zacspeed
    A mate has asked me to look out for a cheap system, what do you guys think of this for the money (£478)?
    z.
    Jesus!!...
    that works out to be about $1500 NZ

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh!
    Jesus!!...
    that works out to be about $1500 NZ
    1265 NZD. Your conversion is out by almost 20%.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by zacspeed
    A mate has asked me to look out for a cheap system, what do you guys think of this for the money (£478)?

PROCESSOR - AMD 2800:
    What flavor of chip is this? I'd be willing to bet that it's a Sempron, AMD's new budget CPU.
    Basically a gutted Athlon XP, AMD is attempting to pass these dogs off as the "next greatest thing" when in fact, they are simply a stopgap between socketA and the a64 platforms.
    Socket A is an attractive option today IF you realize that it's basically at the end of it's life and are willing to forgo 64-bit architecture for a while. The platform has matured and there are several very good boards still available. Just be sure that you are getting a real Athlon and not it's dumbed down sibling.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Wtf , my system (look in sig) only cost 730 USD ( exluding shipping ) and that's like only 400 GBP ?? You can definetely get alot more with 478 GBP .... I'd look into atleast an AMD Athlon 64 2800/3000, another motherboard (a good one around 80$, which would already come with a sound card) and of course, a better video card (atleast 9550, or even 9600)...
    Last edited by Formula1; 02-07-2005 at 10:30 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Parts are more expensive in the UK. That price seems about right but i would push for an AMD64 bit as thats the way to go, anything 32bit thats AMD will be out of date soon enough.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    zacspeed's Avatar Pheasant plucker
    Thanks for the advice you guys! I knew your vast knowledge wouldn't let me down

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12