Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Superbowl

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    The game is just a triviality in comparison to what the event means to the country.
    What does the event actually mean then?

For non sports fans such as myself it means absolutely nothing.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    It's the quintessential meaning of what it means to be an American.
    What? Running like mad, while trying to crush everyone else under your weight?

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

It is a single touchstone which connects us all, irrespective of of who we are, what we have or where we are. The more touchstones a society has the healthier it is.

The Super Bowl actually extends far beyond sportfans and it is not the game which is important, it is the event. Many people gather together and watch the pre-game show and halftime and commericials and may or may not pay attention to the game.

It is a time for everyone to forget about their troubles and pretend that football is something important, if just for a few hours.

What a way to disagree soley for the purpose of disagreement. Sheesh, stop being a twit.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Hang fire there tiger, a joke's a joke but you've gone way too far this time.

I think an apology is in order.
    Perhaps "twit" means something to you, that it does not to me. Twit to me is a "play" insult, to indicate mild annoyance, but not anger. The smilie was there for assistance as well.

To me you could substitute:

"Stop disagreeing for no reason than to disagree, Mr. Poo-Poo Potty Pants

The statements are equivalent.

But then again, you could have been just joking
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-07-2005 at 07:17 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Or indeed fishing.
    That is anti-American!

I actually looked up the word twit and it means "fool". That was a bit harsher than I had intended. I had never actually looked up the definition of that word.

I figured it could be truly offensive elsewhere. Kind of like you guys use the word "twat" quite casually. Too me, that is one of the most offensive, vulgar words one can cast at another. Fightin' words.
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-07-2005 at 07:23 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    See edit above, and I want a full point.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Are you posting in instalments again, twat.

Ooer Missus!

8. Lounge   -   #28
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    It is a single touchstone which connects us all, irrespective of of who we are, what we have or where we are. The more touchstones a society has the healthier it is.

The Super Bowl actually extends far beyond sportfans and it is not the game which is important, it is the event. Many people gather together and watch the pre-game show and halftime and commericials and may or may not pay attention to the game.

It is a time for everyone to forget about their troubles and pretend that football is something important, if just for a few hours.

What a way to disagree soley for the purpose of disagreement. Sheesh, stop being a twit.
    oh you are such a girl sometimes

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. Lounge   -   #29

Whatever!, Vidcc

10. Lounge   -   #30
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

So you are a fan of "non-sports"?

What does that actually mean, then?

"Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast