Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Place your bets.......

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky1
    See above

Debates like this always end up in nothing by the way.
    There's a different between not being racist and being too blind to recognise a problem.
    What most people don't seem to get... if you are not willing to admit there is a problem with the other party as well. You're just as bad as those people who blame everything on someone else, only you're doing the opposite.

It is a fact that there is an immigration problem. Not only in Britain, also in Belgium, the Netherlands etc... And we're not getting any further in solving it just because anyone who speaks up and dares to say something negative gets shot down immediately.
    I did see the above, and noticed this:

it is almost impossible to do business there if you're white...
    To clarify, I, and other people in my company have loads of other contracts with Indians or Pakistani. So I think that we know by now what kind of things they require.
    So which is it. Either it's almost impossible or other people in your company have loads of contracts.

There are communities that I do work for which are much harder to relate to than the Asian community, for example, and their heritage has been Welsh for centuries.

This is not an immigration problem, it's a problem inherent in society - a problem which is not insurmountable if you're willing to put in the research and find out exactly what these people want from you.

I can see the problem to which you refer, but it's nothing to do with race, it might just be because you're wearing a suit, or your car is a bit flash or because you didn't know how to set up an appointment properly. It can be for any number of reasons but the best way to avoid these barriers is to learn about them properly before you try to get any money out of them.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    LMAO! I love it when you guys get all politically correct, when you all know damn well that when a pakistani family takes over a small town corner shop, 99% of the time the staff will be shunted out...........and before you jump on me, we've also been lied to, when they first enquired about buying it, the hours and staff and accomodation above was to stay the same.
    How it stands now, Azz is out in 2!! months , he has a baby girl and another on the way and only been there 6 weeks.
    Hours are to change, staying open later and expecting us to work it.
    They said they had no family, yet today they turned up with 2 brothers, a sister and 4 kids.

So to me, reguardless of whether or not they can do what they want (which they can) as far as I can see they have used lies and deceet to get the shop.
    Not a good start.

And I tell you now, if we staff go, at least 50% of trade will go with us, that's a fact whther you dispute it or not, people don't just come in for their shopping, they come in for a chat, for a giggle......it's a small shop with 90% the same customers every day , not a robotic supermarket.

Thats all a bit babbled but I'm just pointing a few things out.

I'm not rascist, I merely state fact how it is in the town I live in. A small town with maybe an Asian community of 100 people if that. So before anyone goes on about where they live it's different...just think, you're not in Sheringham and you don't know what my town is like.

Thank you, I will now step down from teh soapy box

Jonno

3. Lounge   -   #33
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Isn't Azzz a bit young to be the head of a family

I see where you're coming from Jonno - and once again, I don't think you're racist
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Lounge   -   #34
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i agree with manker. i dont think racism or political correctness has any sway getting to own a shop. however small shops are often family run things regardless of race or background.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    No you muppet, not Azzz..........Azz

Nah, he's the other lad I work with, he's 21, and he's major paranoid about losing his job, I'm not that bothered cept for the fact that I do enjoy it a lot, I have a lot of fun at work most of the time and the hours suit me perfect.

Jonno

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Tweedy old crow
    I am talking about a specific area. Not about a specific group.
    We have no problems getting new contracts or maintaining existing contracts in other areas, but it is a problem there.

Don't you think that the effort should come both ways? To be honest, I had to try very hard to get accepted here when I first moved here, so I know what racism feels like.

But ok, let's not call it a racial problem, yet a cultural one then at least.
    It's like JP was saying, there are situations where you cannot win because of something in their view they are not willing to change.
    And I don't think that is right or fair.
    When you say that I should put the research in to find out what these people want from me, well I do. In a more accurate way and more in detail than you can imagine for reasons that do not only refer to the sales part of my job.
    I'm sorry to say, but the effort is usually one way. And to state otherwise it to belittle a community that has a bit of a problem at the moment. And that in my eyes, is even worse that being racist.

How do you think people would react if there were a community of nothing but white christians who refused to do business with none other than white christians? How long would it last before words as nazi would surface? It's the same idea...

It shouldn't be like this. Not from either sides.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    I would just like to point you all in the direction of the jokes made in the cartoon program about this chap..........

Jonno

Edit: Damnit, pic no work....... Link
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 02-15-2005 at 03:11 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    where i live people from different cultures work for each other, its just easier that way. even if there is swastikas painted on a wall at the train station and "BNP OUT" painted on the pub

9. Lounge   -   #39
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I am talking about a specific area. Not about a specific group.
    We have no problems getting new contracts or maintaining existing contracts in other areas, but it is a problem there.

Don't you think that the effort should come both ways? To be honest, I had to try very hard to get accepted here when I first moved here, so I know what racism feels like.

But ok, let's not call it a racial problem, yet a cultural one then at least.
    It's like JP was saying, there are situations where you cannot win because of something in their view they are not willing to change.
    And I don't think that is right or fair.
    When you say that I should put the research in to find out what these people want from me, well I do. In a more accurate way and more in detail than you can imagine for reasons that do not only refer to the sales part of my job.
    I'm sorry to say, but the effort is usually one way. And to state otherwise it to belittle a community that has a bit of a problem at the moment. And that in my eyes, is even worse that being racist.

How do you think people would react if there were a community of nothing but white christians who refused to do business with none other than white christians? How long would it last before words as nazi would surface? It's the same idea...

It shouldn't be like this. Not from either sides.
    Yup, I can see what you're getting at but with one major disagreement. You're selling something so it should be you putting in all the effort. When I get a sales rep here I do business with the one that I like the most - the one who makes me laugh or takes me out to a decent restaurant.

Not that I get to pick and choose that much, but I'm fooked if I'm going to make an effort for someone who wants to make money out of me.

It's the other way around if I'm after someone's money tho' - I'll make all of the effort and expect none in return.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Tweedy old crow
    Yeah true. You can reach a much bigger clientele if you have more than one ethnic background in a business. It only has benefits for everyone

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast