Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: time to upgrade Again

The raptors are genernerally useless unless your running a small file or database server where you have very High I/O, on standard apps and games their performance does not justify their price, basically for most people they are a waste, and money would be better spent on size. PATA vs. SATA no performance increase once again when using only one drive, but benifit of SATA is each drive has dedicated bus, so if your gonna have multiple HD's then SATA makes sense. The different cache sizes, 2MB, 8MB, 16MB once again, are good only for fast transfers of smaller files, and High I/O, any kind of streaming data transfer wouldn't care what buffer you have...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Quote Originally Posted by SingaBoiy
    Might as well get a hd with 15,000 RPM.
    i thought about doing that myself, but by the time you buy the drives and the freaking controller, youre in it for quite a few bucks, plus all the diff scsi, like ultra, and some other shit.....blah, to hard and expensive for me to bother but like i said earlier about the raptor. I also feel its a bit pricey for the size, but i can tell the difference, because my buddy and mine comps are the same. i have a 40gb 7200 thats about half full, and so is his raptor, and there is def a difference between them imo. he notices it when hes on my pc. he had the same drive i currently have, so to be fair, we waited until he had more apps and more stuff on the drive to see if it slowed down, and yes it slows performance from a fresh install, but with marginally the same load on each pc, his is way faster even still. thats why i was thinking of getting one. or i may get one of the ones with the new NCQ technology, which i read is sposed to make regular sata drives perform close to the raptors for much cheaper. seagate has em here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-040&depa=0 you guys know anything about these type of hdds?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    or i may get one of the ones with the new NCQ technology, which i read is sposed to make regular sata drives perform close to the raptors for much cheaper. seagate has em here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-040&depa=0 you guys know anything about these type of hdds?
    Yes, I just built a PC that had two Seagate NCQ enabled SATA drives ( along with a bunch of other goodies).
    Just like the Raptor, I don't know how one would actually define the effectiveness of this technology.
    The PC is a rocketship, and far exceeded the customer's expectations, but how can one isolate the NCQ ability of the HDDs and say that it is good or bad or indifferent?
    I don't know.

*BTW, we finally did get the Plextor SATA DVD-RW working in this rig.
    All it took was setting it up in the RAID controller and enabling RAID in the BIOS. Why this worked is a mystery to me, but it did.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    i did a little reading on the matter of raptors, and it seems they are not all they are cracked up to be in most real world situations, but they are good drives, just may not be worth all the cash.hmmmm......google really is your friend......wonder why my friends pc has betterness over mine after he changed to the raptor will have to investigate further.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    i did a little reading on the matter of raptors, and it seems they are not all they are cracked up to be in most real world situations, but they are good drives, just may not be worth all the cash.hmmmm......google really is your friend......wonder why my friends pc has betterness over mine after he changed to the raptor will have to investigate further.
    One reason is your 40 GB HD is a couple years old, even if you got it within the year the actual design is 2 years behind the curve, and thus will be slower, if you compare the raptor to any current name brand 7200RPM HD with 8MB cache then you'll see they're pretty even for most applications, the raptor will win in all small file high I/O categories, but most people do not run file servers or database servers from their homes...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Just because yall have the same board and same chip, doesnt mean performance will be the same. He might have better drivers, and you mentioned gameplay, that has a lot to do with graphics card. He also might defrag once a week, you might not ever. He might have just done a fresh install of windows..just some other things to look at.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    1)Make (WD, Maxtor and so on)
    2)Size (20GB, 120GB, 300GB and so on)
    3)RPM (5400, 7200, 10000)
    4)Cache (2Mb, 8Mb, 16Mb)
    5)Type (SATA, IDE)

Make isnt really important, i find they all work as good as each other, i go for the cheapest usually. Size is how big you want it. RPM is speed, 7200 is pritty much what everyone has, you can spend more money and loose Size but increase your RPM to 10000. Cache is also the speed it works. 2Mb is pritty weak and 8Mb only costs maybe £5 more. 16Mb is amazing but is only on SATA drives. IDE is the standard, CD Rom's use it most HDD's use it. SATA is a new type of connection it needs drivers but the drive preforms much faster.

So the perfect HDD setup imo is:

Drive 1) 40GB 'Raptor' 10000 RPM 8Mb Cache (I think thats the highest cache they do)
    Drive 2) 160Gb/200Gb SATA 7200 RPM 16Mb Cache

Thats 200Gb/240Gb of space with a very fast loading windows and a second drive for downloads and games that will preform extreamly well when loading files (Games) and un-raring and burning files.
    ok thats a big help thanks
    but the problem is i dont want to TRF my OS backup to a new HDD and use it as primery and use my current for files, last time i did this kinda of shifting everything pretty screwed up and i lost my HDD(it just stoped functioning for no particular reason) thanks god i had made a new backup just incase something goes wrong. what i want is to install a good HDD(quiet, fast and reliable) just for My files.

next is MOBO and Prossesor, forget about AMD... thier reputation is pretty bad here and i personaly dont think thier as good as Intel.
    suggest a good MOBO and latest pentium.

u guys may think how am affording the prices, well as some u may know am working in bank and we have some clients in computer whole saling field so i can get these stuff very cheap, so price is not a big matter
    Last edited by bawa@Klite_user; 02-18-2005 at 05:28 AM.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Well I would go for the Seagate 300Gb Sata HDD here

A 74Gb WD Raptor here

A 3.6Ghz P4 here

I dont know much about Intel Mobos, but you cant go wrong with this one im sure here

I know you wont be buying from here but this is just so you can look at them.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Edit: Nevermind...
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 02-18-2005 at 01:19 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    Well I would go for the Seagate 300Gb Sata HDD here

A 74Gb WD Raptor here

A 3.6Ghz P4 here

I dont know much about Intel Mobos, but you cant go wrong with this one im sure here

I know you wont be buying from here but this is just so you can look at them.

Asus MOBO's r not good enough, we used to have them in school and u know schools usually go with cheapts
    ill go with GigaByte with Intel Cheapset

Edit:
    About the HDD i think a 160Gb is enough for me.
    can somebody tell me whats diffrent in these two
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-034&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-038&depa=0
    Last edited by bawa@Klite_user; 02-18-2005 at 01:59 PM.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast