Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Schoolgirl wins Muslim gown case

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    i'd love to see a westerner do it over here

The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    There are also health and safety issues which would mean that female students wearing the jilbab (sp) would not be able to take part in certain lessons (e.g. science - due to the dangerous conbinatin of bunsen burners and flowing material).

Of course this then raises issues of sexism and the oppression of women (being denied an education, etc, etc)

... and before you know it the legal system / media / religion has opened a whole can of worms, and rather than concentrating on the REAL issues that are going on in this world such as thousands of people starving to death every day whilst the corporations of the world bleed us dry, we end up discussing whether a 16 year old CHILD should be able to wear a long dress or not.

There i'll take a breath now.
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    If she`s sixteen won`t she be leaving school in a few months anyway:troublemakers:

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    What about the child of naturalists? Do they have an equal right to go to school naked?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda
    There are also health and safety issues which would mean that female students wearing the jilbab (sp) would not be able to take part in certain lessons (e.g. science - due to the dangerous conbinatin of bunsen burners and flowing material).

Of course this then raises issues of sexism and the oppression of women (being denied an education, etc, etc)

... and before you know it the legal system / media / religion has opened a whole can of worms, and rather than concentrating on the REAL issues that are going on in this world such as thousands of people starving to death every day whilst the corporations of the world bleed us dry, we end up discussing whether a 16 year old CHILD should be able to wear a long dress or not.

There i'll take a breath now.
    If they had told her she had to wear the uniform then this wouldn't be an issue.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    If they had told her she had to wear the uniform then this wouldn't be an issue.
    They did.

She knew the school rules when she began attendance there 2 years ago, if her regious views were so strong that she felt she could non abide by the rules once she 'became of age' and was 'required' to wear the jilbab, she should have chosen to attend a school that would allow her to wear it - as in fact she does now! rather than costing the tax payer a fortune with this circus she has pointlessly created.

(my wrath is aimed at the situation, not at you Busyman )
    Last edited by brenda; 03-04-2005 at 04:15 PM.
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Sometimes I feel that belonging to a minority gives people an automatic license to misbehave.

Which makes me very jealous.

I remember the things some blokes got away with in school 'cos they weren't born here. They had such fun calling our girls whores and making derogatory statements about us.

The same blokes also threatened a friend of mine 'cos he had a sticker with a flag on it on his car, which they claimed was a racist symbol, and they got away with it.

For a while there, when I was younger, institutions and private citizens would get accused of racism if they showed our flag in public.

What makes me angry is that the people in power let them get away with it, including the accusations, rather than putting a stop to all the silliness. They tip-toed around the issue. And it seems to me that there has long existed a tendency in our society, and in others like it, to turn a blind eye to the bad aspects and misbehavior of those originally from another culture, as the authorities somehow think that they are avoiding discrimination when they are in fact letting some people get away with things that aren't allowed for those of us without minority status.

Every time I see something like this I feel despair.

I'm not saying that people should not be allowed their own ethnicity, but I don't think they should be allowed to hide behind it, or gain an advantage because of it.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-09-2005 at 04:46 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda
    They did.

She knew the school rules when she began attendance there 2 years ago, if her regious views were so strong that she felt she could non abide by the rules once she 'became of age' and was 'required' to wear the jilbab, she should have chosen to attend a school that would allow her to wear it - as in fact she does now! rather than costing the tax payer a fortune with this circus she has pointlessly created.

(my wrath is aimed at the situation, not at you Busyman )
    What I meant was if theyhad told her after she made a stink about it.

They should have said, "Fuck youz, goes somewheres else then!!!"
    The school sold out their ideals behind having the UNIFORMS in the first place.

They shouldn't even dem shits they wear 'uniforms' anymore.

Ifyouagreeclothes.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-04-2005 at 04:51 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    I once had an issue with a neighbour regarding right of access . When we changed to wheelie bins our neighbour wanted to take their wheelie bin through our back garden to their garden. Prior to the wheelie bins there was and still is a place for bins at the front of all the houses. The matter went to the local council. They agreed that we were in the right to refuse access. When I said that our neighbours were 'coloured' the reply was 'That is different. There are different laws for coloured people. You will have to allow them access'.

After consulting our lawyer, a six foot fence resolved the issue. I was not being awkward. My wife spends hours and hours in her garden. Pulling a full, or empty wheelie bin across it would have ruined it. This was not a race issue but the Council was making it one. Equality should mean just that equality. The right to do the 'same' as the residents of your adopted country. Not to change those rights to suit 'your' ethnic or religious bias.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab
    'That is different. There are different laws for coloured people.'
    That is completely ridiculous. I'm sure the person that told you that was lying - how would any authority pass a law that gave everyone except white people the right to drag a bin across someone else's back garden
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast