Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti Virus?

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    You said you DID'NT want the best. So don't get Kaspersky personal, cause it's the best.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    started with norton until its heaviness bored me, im using avg now but am concidering kapersky.

\-->Free Antivirus<--/
    Don't want to pay for protection? Make sure to check out the competition...

>AVG<
    http://www.grisoft.com/

1. Slow scans, somewhat frequent updates, sometimes misses viruses or can't remove them
    2. Bloated interface, pretty high memory usage
    3. 10-15 megs of memory

AVG seems to have turned into a big company producing newer but worse quality antivirus protection...
    Uninstalled

>Avast!<
    http://www.avast.com/

1. fast scans, frequent updates, nice interface
    2. good custom install, nice over-all look
    3. 10-15 megs of memory

Best free av I've tested so far...
    Stays on Computer

>Antivir<
    http://www.free-av.com/

1. More minimal than avg, simple interface but kindoff ugly, win98 style
    2. Finds more viruses than avg, but still has problems removing some
    3. 10-15 megs of memory

Next in line right after avast, wonder if this will change...
    Uninstalled

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    the fact it high jacked my recycle bin and loads of other things. I know its the best 'statistically' but im not looking for the best really, im looking for somethingthats nice and easy on the eyes, no annying pops or changing my system. I've only had MS AntiSpyware thingyy installed for 10 minutes and im considering uninstalling it as its constantly poping up, it said Kazaa Lite was spyware and that so was MSN Plus (i made sure i didn't install the ghey advert bar)

Norton products can be configured at the install to control your Recycle Bin and whether or not to protect those files. By choosing which elements or tools you want on your system.

At the moment, since K-Lite is essentially an "illegal" build of the original Kazaa application, MS antispyware does not recognize any of it's contents as actual non-malicsious files. It is not even actually saying that any of the elements are spyware- just that they are purported as being "associated" with spy/adware applications. You can option to have your future scans omit K-Lite if you set it that way. The same with MSN. Whether the adware is actually installed or not, the application is basically reporting to you a warning of a potentially known risk. Adaware SE Professional is structured the same way, I have noticed. Even Spybot S&D does alittle of this practice too. In the end, it boils down to individual users having a basic understanding and knowledge of what is installed on the their systems and making informed choices from it. I have to believe that on down the road, anti-spyware developers will evolve their applications to a point where the heuristics are capable of making those decisions for us- such as how modern anti-virus programs behave now. It is all still a relatively new area to delve into for everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12