Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: forgetting your roots

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I was put behind bars too at that time.
    rumour has it you have been propping them up since...especially during happy hour
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-18-2005 at 02:41 PM. Reason: fix quote marks

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    rumour has it you have been propping them up since...especially during happy hour
    Bad quoting, bad quoting..
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    I thought this was going to be something about blondes and bleaching.

Mind you, people who forget that are probably the ones spending too much time chatting in the happy hour bar.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Bad quoting, bad quoting..
    I was fixing it as you posted.

What do you think on the subject though? (It would be nice to get more American views)

Does this boy and his father have a point (with the reasons he gave) or do you think I have one?

Even if you believe this boy has a point should he get away with boycotting school?
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-18-2005 at 05:19 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    (It would be nice to get more American views)
    I posted my view yesterday but it vanished after the board update.

Ignorance is bliss I guess. If the family would look into their family origin they would probably be surprised.

My family originated from Nova Scotia way back when. They along with all the other Cajun’s were kicked out of the country and settled in Louisiana.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    I posted my view yesterday but it vanished after the board update.

Ignorance is bliss I guess. If the family would look into their family origin they would probably be surprised.
    Yes i read it. You added more this time.

My family originated from Nova Scotia way back when. They along with all the other Cajun’s were kicked out of the country and settled in Louisiana.
    Seems you have something in common with the Aussies

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    I was fixing it as you posted.

What do you think on the subject though? (It would be nice to get more American views)

Does this boy and his father have a point (with the reasons he gave) or do you think I have one?

Even if you believe this boy has a point should he get away with boycotting school?
    I was just joshing around. I usually stay away from threads that don't interest me.

It is rather simple to me. It's just like the neighbor that moves next door and plays music you dislike. The boy and father are used to America being synonymous with the English language. Another language smacks of "theyare taking over" mentality.

Tbh it is a little weird. I don't like when I go to McDonald's (among other places) that the workers there barely understand English. I've always thought we should have had English as an official language regardless of immigration. I understand folks being pissed off. Some folks are here just to use America to send "money home." It discourages interaction and intergration into the greater populous. I have observed this mainly in the Hispanic community.

Nevertheless, I think the boy should be punished for truancy and any work he missed be counted against him (no make-up).

Boycotting is one thing...missing school for that is entirely another.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-18-2005 at 05:36 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    @ busy

I agree...English is the official language and a reasonable standard of vocabulary should be part of becoming a citizen.....There would be no excuse for anything other than English saying the pledge when becoming a citizen.

Having worked in a few places worldwide I appreciate the difficulties of accents

However accents are a different matter altogether.... I'm sure if you travelled to many states you would have a great deal of difficulty understanding people that have US ancestry as far back as the pilgrims.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    @ busy

I agree...English is the official language and a reasonable standard of vocabulary should be part of becoming a citizen.....There would be no excuse for anything other than English saying the pledge when becoming a citizen.

Having worked in a few places worldwide I appreciate the difficulties of accents

However accents are a different matter altogether.... I'm sure if you travelled to many states you would have a great deal of difficulty understanding people that have US ancestry as far back as the pilgrims.
    Shit I have a problem understanding some Scottish accents....

Congress votes everything else on majority (like their raises). Why don't they go ahead a knock this official English thang out?

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    In our house English isn’t the primary language that’s spoken. My parent’s speak French most of the time and when relatives come over that’s all they speak in. My grandparents couldn’t speak much English and could only say the words that they needed to know. All of my relatives and my parents speak well in English but they all prefer to talk to each other in French.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast