Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphic novels and movies

What is your opinion on the movies that are being inspired or copied from popular graphic novels?
    There are many examples like Scott Pilgrims, Kick Ass and Tintin(which is soon to hit the box office).
    Do you prefer the novel with their original colorful characters or your favorite movie star in those avatars?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    The movie can never replace original graphic novel. V for Vendetta is the example. Graphic novel was one of the best I ever read, but movie completely destroyed the point.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    I think a good movie can add a lot to some comic books. But a lot of times, the writers focus on the visual look of the comic, instead of the story behind them. I think too that superheroes should be on tv and not film, since their adventures are serial, not individual.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Movies have always borrowed from comics and graphic novels. The film itself really depends on whether or not it is true to the original book or not. Sometimes it's great that filmmakers can "fill in the blanks" with live action sequences but when we read comics/gn we put our own voices, pacing, etc. into them. Films do that for us and it's not always "right."

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Comic to movie transitions will always fail, even though standalone and branding aside, each can be mutually exclusively great.

The problem is the medium transition. Comics are from a time where people explored and re-explored concepts that movies attended to decades earlier: Think a comic commenting on the state of affairs of a man at a newspaper stand as a reader proxy. Now think about a movie doing the same in 40's. Even though comics were the rage up to the early nineties, they can't add anything new to movies, and the only reason they were mass adopted was because of what you can do frame-to-frame. Maintaining a character's expression between scene transitions, juxtaposing two different scenes on the same page, so on and so forth. A medium conversion will always do injustice to the creativity of how the comics originally played out because like it or not the characters were designed to be page-based. That and [EDIT:] a majority of north american movie goers always want a happy ending. Things couldn't be farther from the truth in the comic world, which is why things like Hellboy should definitely stay in print and only as such.
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 11-21-2011 at 06:49 AM.
    Ellipses go here.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Comic to movie transitions will always fail, even though standalone and branding aside, each can be mutually exclusively great.

The problem is the medium transition. Comics are from a time where people explored and re-explored concepts that movies attended to decades earlier: Think a comic commenting on the state of affairs of a man at a newspaper stand as a reader proxy. Now think about a movie doing the same in 40's. Even though comics were the rage up to the early nineties, they can't add anything new to movies, and the only reason they were mass adopted was because of what you can do frame-to-frame. Maintaining a character's expression between scene transitions, juxtaposing two different scenes on the same page, so on and so forth. A medium conversion will always do injustice to the creativity of how the comics originally played out because like it or not the characters were designed to be page-based. That and [EDIT:] a majority of north american movie goers always want a happy ending. Things couldn't be farther from the truth in the comic world, which is why things like Hellboy should definitely stay in print and only as such.
    It's amazing that you can put so much unnecessary thought into things and still be so consistently wrong.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    It's amazing that you can put so much unnecessary thought into things and still be so consistently wrong.
    Don't have the energy to liberate your opinion, or were you simply content with the day's work of putting people down on movie fora?
    Ellipses go here.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Fora, like why not just wear a t-shirt that says "I'm a pretentious bastard " and simplify things?

As for my opinion ,succinctly I think it goes something like "they are called adaptions for a reason".Or maybe "Movies are either good ,bad or someplace in the middle and not adhering to the structure of a totally different media doesn't have a whole fucking lot to do with which of those categories they wind up in.

Wait on second thought I've never really liked people trying to swim on dry land since the whole exercise takes away from the grace and athleticism of what Nature intended.Fucking artless land swimmers.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    But sometimes the movie will completely alter what ws done in the comic, such as Kick-Ass. I guess you could call it an adaptation, Mark Millar called the movie based on his comics a "chick flick".

10. Lounge   -   #10
    I think Movie that inspired from Comic there has a point that when a comic is getting enough popularity then it is going to end by the movie. because some people who unknown about the comic they also informed by easy way .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast