Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardware pr0n...w00t!

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    did you do the LBA thing in bios?

i had the same sort of problem copies all the files then when it restarts to do the installation i was getting boot errors, (theres a thread about it somewhere).

i had to go into bios and change some property in your hard-drive settings to LBA, well i think it's LBA
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 04-07-2005 at 11:52 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    No, I didn't, but I'm not getting any error messages either.
    When Windows takes over the install after formatting/ loading files/ reboot, it is apparently losing the HDD and just starts all over.
    Honestly, I would welcome an error message- at least then I'd have some idea what's going on and maybe a way to fix this.

I'll talk to our techs today and see what ideas they come up with...a fresh approach might be all that is needed.

Edit: I slaved my primary drive ( the Raptor I'm trying to load to) to this PC.
    It is formatted and the installation folder is there and full of files. All seems normal.
    I have already recertified the drive and it passes with flying colors so I am discounting hardware problems...as I said, I'm getting no error messages at all.
    Last edited by clocker; 04-07-2005 at 12:15 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    you could at least try

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Saw this too , quote : do you run your sata i raid . if not, donīt install the driver (F6) when install .
    some of the driver are in windows. but you allways have to disabled all ata hd (you can do that i the bios) .
    is only the raid driver that donīt work.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Hmmm, strange...

After assembly, did you clear the CMOS?
    What is the motherboard firmware revision?

Those temps are what I would expect with that heatsink (overkill for the Winchester core).

Check that graphics card cooler before continuing. No need to damage the card from overheating... is there?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Well, all of the hardware would be far sexier if I could get Windows to install on it.
    I'm baffled ( and tired, which isn't helping).

Trying to install the x64Beta XP (which I've been running for the past few months on the old setup, so I don't believe that's the problem...).
    All goes well, Windows can see the HDD(s) and will format and load installation files.
    I can F8 to agree to the EULA.
    When it gets to the reboot screen for the install to continue....it just starts all over again.
    No, I am not hitting "any key to boot from CD".

I had the same thing, when it reboots as fast as you can remove your Windows cd, it will still go into the next step of installing with the enter your cd key and name shit but will popup and say enter cd, thats when you put your Windows cd back in.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    HA!
    I win.

Silly me.
    Turns out, in BIOS, SATA must be enabled (which it was), AND RAID must be disabled.
    I had assumed that if I did not create an array it didn't matter, but apparently it does. I'm guessing that with RAID turned on (?) when Windows begins to initialize the install it looks for an array, not just the nearest HDD, naturally, I didn't HAVE an array for it to find.*
    Ickle, wittle Windows got confused.

Anyway, problem solved.
    Mostly.
    Remember when I said I was tired?
    Turns out I have been using the wrong disc, too.
    I have the latest (and last) BETA build (v.1433), but was using the previous version disc. I discovered this when it would not accept my newest product key.

*sigh*

Oh well, what's another Windows install?
    I'll beat this SOB yet.

*An interesting footnote (to me at least).
    When RAID was enabled, my new Plextor SATA DVD-RW showed up in the drop down menu for "Boot order" in BIOS. I mean, it showed up by name- "Plextor DVD", in addition to the generic "CD-ROM" option that you always see.
    When RAID is disabled, that option goes away and you must set first boot devive to "cd-rom" instead.

Just thought I'd share.
    Last edited by clocker; 04-07-2005 at 02:28 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Personally Clocker i wouldnt have gone with 64bit Windows right now, within the next month or the final version will be out (cracked i mean) an ISO to the final is already on the net (which a non working crack included however) so its only a matter of weeks befor eyou could use the final.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Actually P., I've had zero problems with the version I've been running and it's completely legal for one year.
    Driver availablity has been the only real stumbling block, and that has been improving quickly.
    The plan is to hang in and see what Longhorn turns out to be.
    After all, I just squandered a boatload of cash on a vid card- I may as well use it on a 3D eyecandy GUI, eh?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Personally Clocker i wouldnt have gone with 64bit Windows right now, within the next month or the final version will be out (cracked i mean) an ISO to the final is already on the net (which a non working crack included however) so its only a matter of weeks befor eyou could use the final.
    Do you know where such "final" ISO can be found and what it's filename is?

@clocker. It's good to see that you solved the "RAID" problem.

What happened with the video card cooler?

I guess you don't want ot tell me the BIOS revison. That's ok. I was just wondering if I bought that same board, if it would have the original or the updated one. No matter. I can always flash it.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast