Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indie Music

pusher's Avatar The New Moral
    ccmixter.org

but you may have to dig through a lot of crap to find a treasure.
    The color of this signature is really blue. If you see otherwise, please adjust your monitor settings.

2. Music   -   #12
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Indy is a music discovery program that learns what you like, and plays more of it. And it's free.

Indy makes it easy for you to find great new independent music. Just download Indy and double-click: as it plays songs, you rate what you hear. Indy quickly learns what you like and gets really smart about sending you more music you'll like. Let Indy help you find your place in the collective conciousness as you help other people find theirs.

Why Indy Rocks
    You aren't just a target market - Indy can help you find your own path to the music you like. There are tons of great bands out there that don't have big labels promoting them; Indy helps you find them. And once Indy downloads a track, you can add it to your music collection, listen to it whenever and wherever you want. For musicians, Indy gives you a chance to reach a whole new audience that's excited about what you're playing. Best of all, it's free for everyone!

How Indy Works
    Indy uses an advanced collaborative filtering system to predict what kind of music you'll enjoy hearing. As you rate songs, Indy finds out what you do and don't like. It compares your preferences with the ratings of all the other Indy users. For example, if you rate a song highly, and another user also likes the same song, Indy guesses that you'd probably like other music that they enjoyed. As you rate more songs, Indy will gets better and better at picking songs that you'll really enjoy.

Indy contains no adware or spyware.

http://indy.tv/
    Last edited by Vargas; 06-13-2005 at 12:37 AM.

3. Music   -   #13
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    that reminds me,Vargas, of that groovy musicplasma search.

not strictly for Indie music, but it's quite helpful to diversify your musical taste.
    just plug the name of a band you kinda like into the search field, and you'll get connected membranes of similar music, which you can explore until you're completely lost

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Music   -   #14
    www.pitchforkmedia.com
    just found the site recently good info on new albums

5. Music   -   #15
    p2pnet sounds really cool

6. Music   -   #16
    you can read about a bunch of indie bands (and electronic music as well) on this site:

http://www.welovemusique.com

7. Music   -   #17
    Djtima's Avatar ^__^
    try Spoon... there a good indie band also as trajillo said Interpol...

Tima's : [ Devart - AudioScrobbler - Xfire ]

8. Music   -   #18
    Don't trust Pitchfork Media for reviews. They're a bunch of pretentious pricks. But it's good for news.

9. Music   -   #19
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    See, the thing about people who listen to indie music, they're generally elitist bastards and think their musical taste is above everyone else's. This includes me, I won't deny it. But seriously, it gets to a point where when someone says that there's no good music coming out anymore and then they say that their favorite band is My Chemical Romance, it makes you want to strangle someone.

BUT I DIGRESS. Anyway, you can find out about a good amount of indie music on Pitchfork Media, or alternately you can go to the VG Cats forum and ask for me and this guy named Echoes to help you out in discovering some bands.
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

10. Music   -   #20
    the music reviews on stylusmagazine.com cover some of the same ground as pitchfork, but i think they generally have more interesting things to say about music than pitchfork does. either way, indie review sites can pretty wordy and don't always offer a lot of simple comparisons ("this band sounds like [band] mixed with [another band]"), and then when they do offer simple comparisons they're simple comparisons to bands that a newbie would never have heard of anyway. the writing on a site like pitchfork tends to be dense and often unnecessarily beatnik-ish, too.

OH WELL. at least it's easy to find out about indie music nowadays. BACK IN THE DAY, there was no worldwideweb (or it was just being born and there was barely any info on it) and you had to listen to college radio at 2am in the morning, read through huge piles of fanzines & catalogues, and order everything in the mail because they didn't carry slanted & enchanted, spiderland, fuck pussy galore, or there's nothing wrong with love at the mall. it used to take a lot of effort, just to be an indie fan.

i guess trouserpress.com is a good resource for a newbie, but i reckon it'd get exhausting just clicking randomly through their pages looking for interesting things. prolly better just to buy the paper version of "the trouser press guide to 90s rock" and thumb through it once in a while, which would lead you to a lot of the stuff that's directly influenced what's going on currently in indie music.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 06-13-2005 at 05:49 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast