Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Thread: Good Luck Liv'pool

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Ah but the winner only goes thro' from the pre-qualifying qualifier into the first round qualifier proper. So they would not be going into the champions league proper, just the first qualifier.

Apparently it was the only solution, other than involving a team from another league and nobody could decide which league would get the extra place. So they stuck with England and picked the highest placed team who did not already have a European place.

It makes sense really.

2. Sports Club   -   #152
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Ah but the winner only goes thro' from the pre-qualifying qualifier into the first round qualifier proper. So they would not be going into the champions league proper, just the first qualifier.

Apparently it was the only solution, other than involving a team from another league and nobody could decide which league would get the extra place. So they stuck with England and picked the highest placed team who did not already have a European place.

It makes sense really.
    Ah, but Spurs were higher up the Fair Play League than Man City so they will have a nearest the bull penalty round robin tournament with Aston Villa as stalking horses (Villa being the team with the least amount of yellow cards in the last 5 years) because obviously you can't have a nearest the bull round robin penalty tournament with only two teams.

This for the privilege of playing in the pre-qualifying qualifier against Liverpool or Total Network Solutions (depending on the availability of TNS' pitch). If unsuitable I'm led to believe the pre-qualifying qualifier prelude between Liverpool FC and TNS will be played in a neutral country.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #153
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

It makes sense really.
    Ah, but Spurs were higher up the Fair Play League than Man City so they will have a nearest the bull penalty round robin tournament with Aston Villa as stalking horses (Villa being the team with the least amount of yellow cards in the last 5 years) because obviously you can't have a nearest the bull round robin penalty tournament with only two teams.

This for the privilege of playing in the pre-qualifying qualifier against Liverpool or Total Network Solutions (depending on the availability of TNS' pitch). If unsuitable I'm led to believe the pre-qualifying qualifier prelude between Liverpool FC and TNS will be played in a neutral country.

No they discounted that option early doors, as Sky refused to pay for the TV rights until the match after the semi penultimate round of four. Which made the whole venture ecologically unpossible to modulate.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. Sports Club   -   #154

I'm still wondering how they've been integrated into the first qualifing round. To add an extra team doesn't seem possible
    One of the other teams is playing them in a qualifier, in effect playing an extra game for the right to take the place that team already had.

It was felt that was the fairest way, with only one team suffering, but geting a tie against Liverpool as compensation. Similar to the suggestion t'Welsh team made, as discussed earlier.

5. Sports Club   -   #155
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley

I'm still wondering how they've been integrated into the first qualifing round. To add an extra team doesn't seem possible
    One of the other teams is playing them in a qualifier, in effect playing an extra game for the right to take the place that team already had.

It was felt that was the fairest way, with only one team suffering, but geting a tie against Liverpool as compensation. Similar to the suggestion t'Welsh team made, as discussed earlier.
    Gotcha, thanks. I've read articles about Liverpool til I was sick today but couldn't glean that vital piece of info from any of 'em.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. Sports Club   -   #156
    Interestingly Liverpool are seeded, but do not have nation protection. So it is posible for them to play Everton in the third qualifier (not seeded) but not Man U (also seeded).

I think there is a similar situation in the group stage . They could go in with Chelsea, but not Arsenal (if memory serves).

7. Sports Club   -   #157
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I read that too, I hope they draw Everton and get pwned.

Bollocks. I just hope they get pwned.

8. Sports Club   -   #158

If they draw Everton it will go to penalties and they are good at that.

:coat:

9. Sports Club   -   #159
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley

If they draw Everton it will go to penalties and they are good at that.

:coat:
    :bawa:

Am I that drunk already.

10. Sports Club   -   #160
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    To be honest, this is exactly as I wanted to happen

So what if Liverpool have to start at the first qualifying stage? To be honest, if a champion is destined to win it twice in a row (especially with Liverpool,s luck in the UEFA case), they should start from the beginning.

So what if they don,t get country protection - Just makes it a little more interesting as the nationwide rivalries come out earlier

So what if they have to take out some of their plans to accommodate the CL qualifiers? While a tour of the far east could be great for the coffers after their victory, they,ll survive.

Although I am glad they got through, Liverpool sure were bloody lucky. I just hope they prove it was worth it.

To be honest though, the Mirror,s Brian Reade put it better
    Inevitably there has been some whinging over UEFA's face-saving decision to let their European champions defend their title. But the whingers should have a word with themselves.

For those miffed at Liverpool's special treatment who say the rules are rules. There weren't any clear-cut rules though were there? Just cop-out clauses which relied on others to take responsibility. Hence the farcical mess.

For Evertonians who feel they may lose out on a couple of million quid. Well, if the FA had followed the only precedent, set by Spain when Real Madrid won the cup yet finished fifth, you'd be in the UEFA Cup now.

For Kopites who feel cheated because their heroes go in at the first-round stage, meaning they must play a few extra games in July. If they'd turned up for a few of the games in March and April Liverpool would not have been in this embarrassing situation in the first place.

This is a political compromise between two sets of red-faced, buck-passing suits. But justice has been done. The European champions will defend their title just as the past 49 champions have been allowed to do.

And those still whinging should realise that for the first time ever, one nation has been invited to have five teams represent them in Europe's premier club competition. And that country is England.

Twenty years after we were booted out of all continental football and treated like lepers.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast