Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teenaged Daughters Pregnant? Blame the Schools.

iamtheoneandonlyone's Avatar Andromeda Ascendant
    If you can't have safe sex, why do it? I though teenage kids were smart enough to think that.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Right, well, I'm a wee bit more alert now. Not much, but a wee bit.

Regarding the benefits: It seems like an awful lot of money to be receiving, especially considering they aren't paying for rent.

Regarding the mother's parenting choices, or lack thereof: How oblivious would you have to be in order not to notice your 12 year-old daughter is seven months pregnant? Generally, at that stage, there's no disguising it. The almost 40 year-old "boyfriend" is a whole other bundle of trouble. As for her being astonished her daughters became pregnant so young...if she had *her* first at 20, she would've been pregnant at 19, which isn't "old" by any stretch of the imagination.

Regarding sex ed in schools: vidcc already said it, "...the parent or guardian hold total responsibility for their kids behaviour. If this woman felt so strongly that sex ed should be better and start earlier she should have done it herself."

The sex ed program in my school district is actually very good. The same nurse goes to all the schools starting in the elementary grades (where it's more of a hygiene class than anything else) and continues up through to grade 12. The kids really do get to know her, and she sees the kids grow up. It's far more personal than someone they don't know coming in, and she establishes a good rapport with them. That said, it's not being taught that sex is "normal, acceptable and expected" to children in kindergarten. It's more along the lines of thinking that "if you're going to do it, these are the consequences, and these are the ways to be responsible about it" to older kids. The woman isn't handing out condoms to everyone and anyone, but if the older students ask about it, she will make them available (or give them the information they need to procure their own). She is a public health nurse, after all.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    The thing is this mum let her kids 14 year old boyfriend stay over when she was 11 ffs.
    I am so surprised that no one has mentioned this fact yet and you have all centred on giving out condoms instead.

Surely this mother is commiting some form of child abuse by allowing them to sleep together at such a young age?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    The thing is this mum let her kids 14 year old boyfriend stay over when she was 11 ffs.
    I am so surprised that no one has mentioned this fact yet and you have all centred on giving out condoms instead.

Surely this mother is commiting some form of child abuse by allowing them to sleep together at such a young age?
    you don't think it was covered by statements like this ?

Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    the parent or guardian hold total responsibility for their kids behaviour
    the condom debate was relevent to the mother blaming the school and not herself which is what the thread is about.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If she let them sleep together, she cant blame the school or anyone else.

I notice she claims "They would have done so anyway"..

Well, this is possibly true... when they're gonna, they're gonna.

This doesnt mean she has to encourage it though she didnt even make sure they were using protection if they were sleeping together, thats not just bad parenting, thats neglect.

So, yes Dan... she should be done for assisting Child Abuse, or possibly charged herself.

She neglected her care in both ways, not just the failing to teach sex education to her kids (Its NOT a school responsibility, although they try.. they cant win on how or when they teach this subject) but also in encouraging the behaviour by default.

Magic, that £31,000 figure includes the value of the free rent/council tax etc.. I think the figure received in cash is closer to £20,000.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 05-26-2005 at 06:04 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The tabloids love these "moral panic" stories. If one delves through the years or even reads Victorian social commentators one will find identical tales of "moral turpitude". In short this is not a sign of our times or a reason to become a survivalist.

There will always be a degree of variation from the social norms no matter how rigid those might be. This mother will not read the Daily Mail and declare " I see where I have gone wrong". However, neither will she or hers become an icon for our age.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm
    Anyone who is opposed to abortion I challenge you to this, you must raise all of the kids of the teenage mothers in the country. Well split them equally up towards all the self-righteus "pro-lifers."
    Seems like a good idea.

Alternately, if they did not tell the doctors what it was they would stitch it up. That would solve the problem.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday

you don't think it was covered by statements like this ?

the parent or guardian hold total responsibility for their kids behaviour
    No not really.

the condom debate was relevent to the mother blaming the school and not herself which is what the thread is about.
    Yes it is but in my mind that takes the back burner compared to letting your 11yr old sleep with her boyfriend.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Dan, if they are gonna they are gonna.

No one can stop a girl when she decides its time to open those legs, there will be a que of boys willing to help her.

However, if she was allowing it to happen in the house (Its Controversial, however its safer than some places i can think of).. she was:

1/ Negligent in not having taught her child basic Sex Education.

2/ In the perfect position to make sure that they were using protection.

She did neither..

Thats how she neglected her child. There is an argument that allowing it to happen in the home was a good idea, if she couldnt change her daughters mind. However by the looks of it, she didnt even try to teach her the basics, never mind change her mind.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 05-26-2005 at 06:46 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    No not really.
    why? Doesn't your point come under the heading of what a responsible parent sould do? We have set the blame on the parent...do we have to go into every item of bad parenting?

Yes it is but in my mind that takes the back burner compared to letting your 11yr old sleep with her boyfriend.
    Nobody has said that it is acceptable, all we have been doing is staying on thread, as usual it will veer off to related areas but just hasn't done so. There are many parts of the story. The complaint about finance, the complaint that the school didn't do her job for her... and yes the age factor. it hasn't been ignored...simply the discussion has centred around this
    Teenaged Daughters Pregnant? Blame the Schools.
    We can discuss multiple parts

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast