Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suicide Bombing Video (no gross stuff):

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Did you not read my last post?

Do the bombings of the USS Cole and bombing of US Embassy’s in Africa ring a bell?

Zarqawi gets injured and who names a replacement for him? AQ.

I can’t make it more plain as day for you and if you still can see it its because you don’t want to.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i'll read into it...

i've just read the first google result for "history of al qa'ida". it's really the history of osama bin laden. according to that it's the network many several groups use to co-operate with each other.

so now i'm unsure, is there such a thing as member of al qa'ida? is it a generalisation or a group?
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 05-27-2005 at 07:08 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    You will probably get many different opinion, depending on how people look at this. How they define an organization or a collaboration etc.

Below is one opinion on how they are structured.

Al-Qaida / Al-Qaeda (the Base)
    Al Qaeda Organizational Structure

This chart is derived from STAFF STATEMENT NO. 15: Overview of the Enemy by the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks upon the United States.

This organizational structure should not be read as defining a hierachical chain of command for specific terrorist operations. It served as a means for coordinating functions and providing material support to operations. Once a specific operation was decided upon it would be assigned to a carefully selected clandestine cell, headed by a senior al Qaeda operative who reported personally to Bin Laden.

* Shura/Advisory Council - Usama bin Laden's inner circle; they direct the overall strategy of the organization.
    * Sharia/Political Committee - Responsible for issuing fatwas.
    * Military Committee - Resposible for conceiving and planning operations, as well as managing training camps.
    * Finance Committee - Responsible for fund-raising, and the concealment of assets.
    * Foreign Purchases Committee - Responsible for the acquisition of foreign arm and supplies.
    * Security Committee - Physical protection, intelligence, and counter-intelligence.
    * Information Committee - In charge of propaganda.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Here is another

Al-Qaeda (Arabic: القاعدة - al-Qā'idah, "the foundation" or "the base") is the name given to a worldwide network and alliance of militant Islamist organizations. Originally built around the cadre of Saudi-funded Arab fighters who flocked to join the mujahideen resistance movement against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, it seeks to establish, via military and terrorist tactics, a radical form of Islamist ideology to supplant both current regimes in the Middle East and eventually Western society as a whole. The group places itself in confrontation with the United States, because the U.S. and other liberal democracies stand between Al-Qaeda and the achievement of its extremist objectives. Another reason for their conflict with the United States is their perception that certain aspects of Western culture and values are incompatible with Islam. Al-Qaeda has masterminded and inspired terrorist attacks against both civilian and military targets around the world.

Al-Qaeda gained worldwide notoriety after the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.. The group is led by Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri, although al-Qaeda's exact size and organizational structure are unknown. According to Vincent Cannistraro, former top CIA counter-terrorist official, "Zawahiri is the guy-he's the operational commander...number one, on the right hand side of Osama." The International Institute for Strategic Studies states in a 2004 reports that more than 18,000 "potential militants" are scattered around the world operating in more than 60 countries which could be recruited by Al-Qaeda. In terms of real numbers, some question whether this murky entity has more than a handful of true members.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    You couldn’t be more wrong again. First and foremost put down you copy of Fahrenheit 9/11 and get a clue. AQ took responsibility for the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000.

Bin Laden started a training facility in the late 80’s and called it AQ. It was the main headquarters for all the terrorist to train and learn tactics that they are using now.
    As I understand it, AQ is a bit like a franchise. Bin Laden volunteered to fight in Afghanistan to drive the Russians out. He stayed on and set up training camps to continue the fight in Chechyna and other places. He has a specific goals of creating an Islamic Republic in Saudi Arabia and surrounding countries and the removal of all foreign influence in the region. The attack on 9/11 being part of the last goal.

Other groups share these goals to a greater or lesser extent. I read somewhere that Bin Laden had reservations about Zarqawi's lot coming under the banner of AQ but has basically had to relent has Zarqawi has a fair degree of credibility in the Islamic World - although I suspect there still may be question marks over his sanity - he is a tad psychopathetic even by terrorist standards. Another example is the Spanish bombings carried out by a Moroccan Group with only vague links to Bin Laden but happy to carry the franchise.

It is this loose arrangement that makes AQ so hard to fight as most the groups have no idea who else is in it. The estimates of how many were trained in Afghanistan over the years varies wildly but it is generally accepted that most returned back to their own countries long before the invasion and rather than being controlled directly are pretty much free to set up their own organisations. The plus side of this is that attacks are spoadic and unco-ordinated and the down side is that if you crack one cell it doesn't take you anywhere.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Money Fist's Avatar Che-Che get the yayo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip The Jacker
    He could have blown up that car next to a building without killing himself with it.
    LMAO
    if he can wire up a bomb like that im sure he could of as well
    guess he was thinking about heaven too much
    hahahaaha moron

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    its a shame that people have to blow themselfs and other people up to prove a point.
    but when looking at the full pic, they are pretty angery we all are in todays world, and that is sad. its people sticking there noses into other peoples affairs that started this and its the inoccent that have to suffer, i think its wrong to use the kind of force that has been used in the last couple of years and that is from all sides, american ,british and musslim.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i don't think muslim is a side.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i don't think muslim is a side.
    im sorry didnt really mean side, just couldnt think of the right word as there are alot of places invoved, didnt mean to offend

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Todays entry in the non-sequitur contest is ....

Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    .... I'm muslim so I can say this with confidence (although I'll admit I'm not the least bit religious) ....
    I often think the interweb has finished surprising me, then I read it again.
    I realize that's a pretty stupid statement by yours truly. What I meant is I know enough about my religion to know that suicide bombings are wrong, let alone killing innocents to "free your land".

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast