Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USA vrs England

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420
    Quote Originally Posted by claire2005

its not soccer its fooball, dear me, you have to understand that you cant change the name of our favorite sport, its football
    I call it soccer as we're on an international forum so it saves any confusion.
    As far as I know, in the english-speaking parts of the world, it's only the americans that actually call it "soccer", 'sides, what we call it translates directly into "football" as well, so I'll just go with tradition, and keep calling it football. Ha-haa. Maybe it ain't the world that should adapt if it's just ~the one country that uses the other word, you know?
    Last edited by Snee; 05-30-2005 at 12:06 PM.

2. Sports Club   -   #32
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    As far as I know, in the english-speaking parts of the world, it's only the americans that actually call it "soccer", 'sides, what we call it translates directly into "football" as well, so I'll just go with tradition, and keep calling it football. Ha-haa. Maybe it ain't the world that should adapt if it's just ~the one country that uses the other word, you know?
    SnnY's right. The only countries that call it soccer are the USA & Australia (link).

Even FIFA, the world's leading authority of the sport, is called the Fédération Internationale de Football Association
    Last edited by Illuminati; 05-30-2005 at 12:36 PM.

3. Sports Club   -   #33
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati
    SnnY's right. The only region to call it soccer IIRC is the Americas.

Even FIFA, the world's leading authority of the sport, is called the Fédération Internationale de Football Association
    Yes, but it still avoids confusion. Let people call it "puntsphere" for all I care, I just get annoyed that some sad-case will always jump on anyone who dares to call football "soccer".

In fact I'm only going to call it "soccer" from now on. Even IRL. :protest:
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 05-30-2005 at 12:41 PM.

4. Sports Club   -   #34
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    it's more fun to call it football. then we get to pick on pansies who wear armour to play rugby

5. Sports Club   -   #35
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Calling it soccer is fine with me. If I'm in a conversation with an American I'll call it just that, if not then I may refer to it as either. Getting the point across is most important.

Makes no difference and it's still teh best sport in the world.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Sports Club   -   #36
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Nah "just that" is even more confusing.

Think it thro' man.

7. Sports Club   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Hmm, you're right.

Puntsphere FTW
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Sports Club   -   #38
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    As ever cheesepants shows the way.

A good, common sense, northern solution.

9. Sports Club   -   #39
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati
    SnnY's right. The only countries that call it soccer are the USA & Australia (link).

Americans didn't come up the name soccer in the first place. Can't blame us.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Sports Club   -   #40
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Puntsphere it is.

@busy: Not blaming you, just saying the entire world shouldn't have to conform to the conventions of one country (or as it happens, two countries).
    Last edited by Snee; 05-30-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast