Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fecking bureaucracy

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    VB

The BBC is not like your commercial TV channels, in fact it is much more than just TV. It is set up by a royal charter which gives it a wide ranging remit.

See Here if you are interested. You will also need to look Here and Here to get a more up to date picture.

We pay for it because we like the fact that is advert free, that it is editorialy independent and that it can provide quality broadcasting with only a nod to commercial considerations. Thus providing for the less main stream tastes.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    it's shit, nothing but dr who, eastenders, antique programs and an occasional blockbuster film from the 90's they used to run some quality cult programming, but they gave it all away, along with their cult message board (which was my home for the better part of three years )

wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, let alone fund their existence

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder
    it's shit, nothing but dr who, eastenders, antique programs and an occasional blockbuster film from the 90's they used to run some quality cult programming, but they gave it all away, along with their cult message board (which was my home for the better part of three years )

Not a fan then.

Who else would make things like QI or room 101, or the Hitch Hikers Guide Radio series. The web site is fantastic covering everything you can think of http://www.bbc.co.uk/. The regional website broadcasts live commentary of every SPL.

The BBC is a truly wondrous thing and we should be proud of it. It is the antithesis of commerciality over quality.

Here's a link to http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/ have a wee look.

The BBC is quality man.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder

Not a fan then.

Who else would make things like QI or room 101, or the Hitch Hikers Guide Radio series. The web site is fantastic covering everything you can think of http://www.bbc.co.uk/. The regional website broadcasts live commentary of every SPL.

The BBC is a truly wondrous thing and we should be proud of it. It is the antithesis of commerciality over quality.

Here's a link to http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/ have a wee look.

The BBC is quality man.
    I heartily agree. Show me a better alternative anywhere in the world. I will be willing to travel to prove your point. All expenses paid of course. None of your Clocker type expenses. Money up front.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    hmmm

SciFi isnt SciFi without the Beebs wobbly sets and crappy special effects budget

Who can forget Blakes 7, and its nice to see things havent changed with Dr Who
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 06-12-2005 at 07:55 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    VB

The BBC is not like your commercial TV channels, in fact it is much more than just TV. It is set up by a royal charter which gives it a wide ranging remit.

See Here if you are interested. You will also need to look Here and Here to get a more up to date picture.

We pay for it because we like the fact that is advert free, that it is editorialy independent and that it can provide quality broadcasting with only a nod to commercial considerations. Thus providing for the less main stream tastes.
    I see your point about the program content but there must be some people who don't like it no matter what it is. So why would they have to pay? Aren't there plenty of other commercial channels that they could watch?

What about people who use a satellite dish. Surely there is enough content that they wouldn't have to watch the BBC.

I still don't understand the manditory licence.

We have public broadcasting channels here that we can support if we like them (donation). No commercials and a lot of the same "British" programing that has been mentioned here.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    VB

I see your point about the program content but there must be some people who don't like it no matter what it is. So why would they have to pay? Aren't there plenty of other commercial channels that they could watch?

What about people who use a satellite dish. Surely there is enough content that they wouldn't have to watch the BBC.

I still don't understand the manditory licence.

We have public broadcasting channels here that we can support if we like them (donation). No commercials and a lot of the same "British" programing that has been mentioned here.

As it happens I pretty much agree that people should be allowed to opt out.

However we have more of a "welfare state" ideal. People pay into things like the NHS even if they have private insurance.

There are certain institutions in the UK, which are effectively sacrosanct. The BBC is one of them and for the most part the nation is proud of it.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Less funding to the bbc might have meant no Monty Python or no The Young Ones.

I'm only against it on the basis that our public channels seem to have forgotten how to cater to everyone, apart from the aforementioned docusoap (which I think may be over now, too many viewers liked it I reckon) they only seem to focus on programming for the extremely pretentious, small children, or very old people, today. They do have news, but people nowadays are better off checking for that on the interweb, 'cos they can't even do that right.

The moment they start performing again (if ever), I doubt I'll complain about paying.

They haven't produced anything of note lately, quality-wise.

Currently they are doing their job properly in that they aren't a channel for all the people who pay for it, and we shouldn't be made to pay for something that doesn't work.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-12-2005 at 09:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123