Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you bigoted?

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions.
    :
    Trite and predictable. You may use the argument that it has helped to keep sectarianism alive, but to say that it created bigotry is nonsense.

There are denominational schools in loads of places, are they all like the West of Scotland, not that I am aware of.

What about things like the Orange Order, who march thro' Glasgow to revel in their anti-catholicism, are they better than seperate schools, do they foster bigotry less. I think not.

If someone proposed to do a similar thing with anti-practically anything else sentiment then it would be banned.
    like snny said, xenophobia is natural.

the only way to overcome it is to learn. sectarianism leads to bigotry, even though bigotry can survive without sectarianism.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    But what SnnY described is not xenophobia.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    I don't hate anyone until they give me good reason to.

I have to be quite open minded as I deal with allsorts of people, and if I were to prejudge them, I would just be setting myself up for big shocks. One of my assistants is a wh/ch bound homophobe, and the other a manly lesbian with a heart of gold. Which makes work, erm, intresting.

I've met herion users and alcholics who help others with simple things like changing lightbulbs and picking up shopping, and on the other side of the scale, freeloading pensioners with violent tendencies and venomous tongues. There are few people I truely hate, but I get annoyed with peeps who only look out for themselves, expecting someone to bail them out of whatever debts and problems they have got into. Always thinking society owes them a favour, and never putting in effort to help those less fortunate.

I'm not saying I'm an angel, far from it. But today I have scratched my arms to bits volunteering in a garden, and also made time to listen to a lady crying over her late husbands love letters she found, while still getting managing to get my work done. It just takes a lil bit of patience to make someone else feel better about life, simple things we all take for granted are sometimes the hardest problems for others to solve alone. It's all about teh love.

Anyone with manners instantly gains my respect, no matter what age, colour, race or religion they may happen to be. Life is too short to make silly judgements based on your own ideals.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I think I'd know if i was bigfoot, what a stupid thread

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    In direct translation from greek, xenophobia means fear of the alien/foreign/different or something like it, it's commonly used to describe a negative (emotional) reaction (spawned from fear) to those who are strange to you, I think

EDit: @everybody: The subject at hand, and what I described are the results of the same mechanisms that cause xenophobia. I think zero's original question had more to do with an emotional response than any action caused by it. So I don't think he's a bigot, and that he doesn't have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-14-2005 at 05:28 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    In direct translation from greek, xenophobia means fear of the alien/foreign/different or something like it, it's commonly used to describe a negative (emotional) reaction (spawned from fear) to those who are strange to you, I think
    Xenophobia is, as I understand it, when it is taken beyond that which is a rational fear of the strange.

It is the undue fear of the alien/foreign as opposed to your description of the natural fear of the unknown.

I think you are right about the fear itself, but that xenophobia is the wrong word to use. A phobia is by it's nature excessive or irrational.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder
    I think I'd know if i was bigfoot, what a stupid thread
    It would be a nightmare shopping for shoes for a start

edit: @snny, to be honest i'm not sure anymore what i meant I guess the point that was made when I had the conversation was that although you may think of yourelf as not being any of the various ist's or ism's mentioned above if you are really honest with yourself there are situations that you pre-judge (sp or manker as I will now refer to it) people when you learn a certain piece of info about them e.g. race, colour, religious belief, nationality etc etc
    Last edited by (>Zero Cool<); 06-14-2005 at 06:16 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions.
    :
    Trite and predictable. You may use the argument that it has helped to keep sectarianism alive, but to say that it created bigotry is nonsense.

There are denominational schools in loads of places, are they all like the West of Scotland, not that I am aware of.

What about things like the Orange Order, who march thro' Glasgow to revel in their anti-catholicism, are they better than seperate schools, do they foster bigotry less. I think not.

If someone proposed to do a similar thing with anti-practically anything else sentiment then it would be banned.
    Is sectarianism not bigotry. Separating childen from their friends at five to send them to a separate religious school while living in the same area is bigotry. You are setting your(I dont mean you) child apart from the mainstream of children growing up in their area. As for the Orange Order and any other sectarian bigoted bunch you care to mention. One of the qualifications to become a member of these orders should be intelligence tests. That would close them down overnight. Why are the good people of Northern Ireland on a course of getting rid of separate schools if they did not think it caused problems?

As for being trite and predictable anybody in this forum who has a point of view opposed to yours gets the same treatment. There is no one more trite and predictable than your good self. If you dont believe me go back and read some of your own posts.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Xenophobia is, as I understand it, when it is taken beyond that which is a rational fear of the strange.

It is the undue fear of the alien/foreign as opposed to your description of the natural fear of the unknown.

I think you are right about the fear itself, but that xenophobia is the wrong word to use. A phobia is by it's nature excessive or irrational.
    Ah ok, I understand where you are coming from then.

I can't really find any clarity as to whether one interpretation should be ruled out as I can find both on the interweb (can't be arsed to look it up in print atm), but yours does seem more widely used

I do think the original meaning simply was fear of the unknown

10. Lounge   -   #30
    [QUOTE=bigboab]

As for being trite and predictable anybody in this forum who has a point of view opposed to yours gets the same treatment. There is no one more trite and predictable than your good self. If you dont believe me go back and read some of your own posts.
    That was even more predictable than your original one. Does anyone think you were not going to post that.

You said that denominational schools were the source of bigotry in this area. Which it clearly was not.
    Last edited by JPaul; 06-14-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast