Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Stealth

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    1. I don't have an inferiority complex. I haven't said they were saying or not saying anything about me personally, I was saying it was crappy writing.

I can't have an inferiority complex just because I'm saying a movie was stupid

It was just made in such a way that the rest of the world was used to show how great the heroes'/america's achievement look better, they didn't just save america, they saved everyone else.

Who otherwise didn't have a place in the plot.

Feck, it didn't hurt me none, it was just pointless as writing scenes go.

I never took it personally or anything, I just thought it was daft.
    I gotcha it was better to not show the scene in the desert of the ship crashing. You are nutty. They do the same shit in...not American ego films but DISASTER FILMS ffs. I bet The Core I had some of the same shit in it (but hell in that we saved the world too but uh didn't we fuck it up )....and what's up The Day After Tomorrow. Why did Mexico have to be our savior. I thought we were the saviors...and we were supposed to kiss their ass to be saved.

2. WRT the speech, I just edited in this:
    EDit: actually, WRT the speech, I must have been thinking about some other part of the movie, or maybe another movie, 'cos the bit where he's trying to inspire the pilots is more cheesy than patriotic, or at least the part of the speech I can find online
    I dunno' if that was another part of the movie or something, I've been surfing around and people (americans even) seem to think there was a patriotic speech in there, but I can't find it now.
    I think there are 2 speeches in the movie. One after the alien flashed the President's mind at Area 51 (where all-of-a-sudden knew their plans) and once when they go into that final battle where they saved the whole world when they destroyed that one ship.

3. Btw, you aren't saying bostonians should be subtitled too are you?

I can't help thinking people in the US would have a better ear for accents out of necessity as they have a lot of them, I'm a bit surprised by what you say, truth be told. (No criticism intended there.)
    I was joshin' but in any area there may be a group of folk that have an accent that is hard to make out. Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like .
    4. I'm pretty sure a lot of nations have troops based on naval vessels or whatever distinguishes marines from the regular infantry. Up until now I never really thought about Marines as uniquely american (what the word means, not the word in itself).
    SnnY...it was the United States Marine Corps. Mmk?

EDit: 5. "Handle" as in not having a problem with them. It really isn't an effort.
    It's not an effort.

It's just not as enjoyable, likable, or preferable.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-05-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Movies & TV   -   #82
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like .
    Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them. If you heard me speak you would not hear an accent you would just hear the way words are said when you pronounce them properly.

3. Movies & TV   -   #83
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like .
    Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them.
    I hear that Scottish folk have to converse on the interweb in order for them to be able to understand each other.

Feck knows what they did before it was invented.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Movies & TV   -   #84
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Films that Hollywood have butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:

The Beach. Whilst I have no real respect for Leonardo Di Craprio's acting talent I'm sure he could have at least affectected a British accent, it wouldn't be the first time they hired an American to play a British role. Instead the film-makers decided to change Alex Garland's anti-hero, Richard, into a Yank. Completely pointless audience pandering, I just wish Alex Garland had had the control that JK Rowling (spit) enjoyed with her creations.

Danny Boyle wanted Ewan McGregor for the role, perfect, but was told by the studio that he would have to use pretty boy LDC instead. Completely pointless change but by no means the worst atrocity committed to this great novel. Do yourself a favour and read the book.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 08-06-2005 at 09:29 AM.

5. Movies & TV   -   #85
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them.
    I hear that Scottish folk have to converse on the interweb in order for them to be able to understand each other.
    I think you're getting confused with the fact that they sound like 56k modems when they speak. :almurray:

6. Movies & TV   -   #86
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I think you're getting confused with the fact that they sound like 56k modems when they speak. :almurray:

I knew interwebbery was involved.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Movies & TV   -   #87
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebus
    Films that Hollywood have pointlessly butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:
    Well, it's not fecking pointless then.

8. Movies & TV   -   #88
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebus
    Films that Hollywood have pointlessly butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:
    Well, it's not fecking pointless then.
    I'm going to pointlessly butcher/alter you for that.

9. Movies & TV   -   #89
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I gotcha it was better to not show the scene in the desert of the ship crashing. You are nutty. They do the same shit in...not American ego films but DISASTER FILMS ffs. I bet The Core I had some of the same shit in it (but hell in that we saved the world too but uh didn't we fuck it up )....and what's up The Day After Tomorrow. Why did Mexico have to be our savior. I thought we were the saviors...and we were supposed to kiss their ass to be saved.
    The way it worked it was a reaffirmaation of the accomplishment made by the americans, plotwise there was no other point to it. As you say, the whole thing took place in america, they needed something to show it was on a global scale, you say it was to show the disaster, I say it was to show that the protagonists/america saved the world.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this, 'cos we ain't getting anywhere here.

I think there are 2 speeches in the movie. One after the alien flashed the President's mind at Area 51 (where all-of-a-sudden knew their plans) and once when they go into that final battle where they saved the whole world when they destroyed that one ship.
    Ah, ok.

Man, does that movie suck.

I was joshin' but in any area there may be a group of folk that have an accent that is hard to make out. Many British males have a high-pitched bouncy accent and most times I understand it but one time I saw a video with Lamsey talking in front of a kitchen sink and was like .
    He's from scotland, like cheebus says. Those people are special

SnnY...it was the United States Marine Corps. Mmk?
    Nah, I think it was the colonial marines (possibly the US Colonial Marines, yes, but I don't think it's the same united states you are thinking of, they are corporate troops). Had a look and Weyland Yutani (I spelled it wrong before) and other corps were already in charge at the time of the first alien.

And as for the word "marines" I think the british formed the first units that bore the name. There are still british Royal Marines.
    It's not an effort.

It's just not as enjoyable, likable, or preferable.
    If they are that easy to absorb they shouldn't make any difference to what you get out of a movie, that's how it is for me/us.

10. Movies & TV   -   #90
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Films that Hollywood have butchered/altered in order to appeal to an American audience:

The Beach. Whilst I have no real respect for Leonardo Di Craprio's acting talent I'm sure he could have at least affectected a British accent, it wouldn't be the first time they hired an American to play a British role. Instead the film-makers decided to change Alex Garland's anti-hero, Richard, into a Yank. Completely pointless audience pandering, I just wish Alex Garland had had the control that JK Rowling (spit) enjoyed with her creations.

Danny Boyle wanted Ewan McGregor for the role, perfect, but was told by the studio that he would have to use pretty boy LDC instead. Completely pointless change but by no means the worst atrocity committed to this great novel. Do yourself a favour and read the book.
    You gotta remember, many times it has nothing to do with being a Yank per se.
    It's who's popular. Hugh Grant was hugely popular with teh ladies until he was caught with teh hooker. Rob Lowe's career took a bump when his "video" came out.

Damn I didn't know the Beach was British. Didn't make too much effort to watch anyway. I don't really care for Leo movies. Basketball Diaries was okay though.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-06-2005 at 04:29 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast