Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently Active Users: 159 (37 members and 122 guests)

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by IKE
    from the x hundred guests daily ~30/40 a day register
    I just seen your edit.

That's great but if closing the forum to guests for one day per week pushed that number up to fifty for one day, then it's worth it. If it stays the same or makes less people sign up. Then stop doing it.

I don't see how the forum can lose.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #22
    Retired
    The team members (the once who i've talked with about this) thinks its better how it is now.
    We won't change it because a couple of members think its better.

If we close everything we wont get new signups.

closed forum -> no google hits.

99% of all guests find us by using google
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 07-02-2005 at 10:23 AM.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #23
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    The team members (the once who i've talked with about this) thinks its better how it is now.
    We won't change it because a couple of members think its better.

If we close everything we wont get new signups.

closed forum -> no google hits.

99% of all guests find us by using google
    Those same members will still find us through Google, like the guy said - Google doesn't forget indexed links overnight.

FFS, are you even reading what I've written? You'll be stopping guests seeing some things for a short space of time. Not completely closing it down.

What you've written is incorrect in the context of what I'm proposing.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #24
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

FFS, are you even reading what I've written?
    Did you check the time of that post of mine?
    It wasnt a reply to that post. it was a reply for post #20
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 07-02-2005 at 10:42 AM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #25
    manker's Avatar effendi

FFS, are you even reading what I've written?
    Did you check the time of that post of mine? it wasnt a reply to that post of yours but the one above.
    Not with you, there. Another of my posts is above that and you do seem to be referring to what I wrote.

Doesn't matter though. You can reply at your leisure or completely ignore what I'm writing. Up to you.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #26
    Retired
    Doesn't matter though. You can reply at your leisure or completely ignore what I'm writing. Up to you.
    I think it's won't improve the forum if we close it for guests once a week

The people who then sign up won't start posting. Most of them will just sign up to read stuff. So there wont be any difference, we would only get more 'inactive' members.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #27
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Why do people want to get rid of guests?

Whats the point of them signing up if they dont post? And they cant post unless they sign up...

imho.. they might as well stay guests if they have no intention of posting and dont wish to see those parts of the board that are closed to guests.

Without guests we may go back to the position we had last year where the board was "On the Market" etc.. at least we get traffic, and they may hit a link for the revenue

I also think we're more likely to get active members, if they can see places like the lounge and the Drawing Room...

We've had more than one active member because they got interested in something posted in these places and decided they wanted to contribute... or saw that we weren't just interested in filesharing, but liked a laugh too.

Cant see what the debates about, tbh... but my thoughts are its ok as it is atm

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #28
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I think it's won't improve the forum if we close it for guests once a week

The people who then sign up won't start posting. Most of them will just sign up to read stuff. So there wont be any difference, we would only get more 'inactive' members.
    At least you're willing to accept the possibility that more people will sign up if it's closed for a short while once a week, nice one

I don't know. It seems to me that those extra members are more likely to post when they join that if they didn't join, actually, that's a given 'cos guests can't post.

Even if it only yields two or three more participating members each month, then I think it's worth it. It can't be of any detriment to the forum, which is the main thing.

However, I'm not about to sulk if this idea isn't taken up. All I ask is for well meaning member's suggestions, like this one, to be sensibly entertained and considered.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #29
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Why do people want to get rid of guests?

Whats the point of them signing up if they dont post? And they cant post unless they sign up...

imho.. they might as well stay guests if they have no intention of posting and dont wish to see those parts of the board that are closed to guests.

Without guests we may go back to the position we had last year where the board was "On the Market" etc.. at least we get traffic, and they may hit a link for the revenue

I also think we're more likely to get active members, if they can see places like the lounge and the Drawing Room...

We've had more than one active member because they got interested in something posted in these places and decided they wanted to contribute... or saw that we weren't just interested in filesharing, but liked a laugh too.

Cant see what the debates about, tbh... but my thoughts are its ok as it is atm
    You can't?

I'm saying that by closing the forum to guests for a short period of time may slightly increase sign ups.

Then you get the best of both worlds. The guests still see the forum and sign ups increase.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #30
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Yeah...

But the question i'm asking is:

Why do you want more inactive members?

They only post if they're interested in something; and cant post unless they become a member..

I'd rather keep them as guests if they aint gonna post.

It wasnt so long ago that the members were asking for a cleanout of non posting members

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast