Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: I would like to argue something pretty important to me.

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala
    I visited the US on a Jewish delegation to Pittsburgh, and once again was amazed at the fact that there are NO guards at the entrances to simple places like cafe's and cheap shops.. even some malls.....
    This fact could lead an Islamic nutjob who has US citizenship to create his own explosive device, and kill some 20 people tomorrow.
    Why do you assume that the sort of nutjob who could do this would be Islamic? Before 9/11, the biggest terrorist attack on American soil was the Oklahoma City bomb, courtesy of one Timothy McVeigh (non-Islamic). After 9/11, there were the snipers in Washington, also non-Islamic, and then the Anthrax letters. Also, perpetrated by a non-Islamic.

London I bet you will carry on as if nothing happened to try prove to the terrorists that they are unbeatable. In another 2 years another attack will take place if Britain does not change it's security status.
    The same regarding Madrid.
    I would hate it if my freedom of movement and other civil liberties were curtailed because of the actions of terrorists. It's a credit to all the cities and countries involved to show the strength of character to stand firm against these atrocities, and go about business as usual.

Security has been stepped up a hundredfold since 9/11, and the threat level is constantly being reviewed, but if someone is that organised and that determined to blow something up, there is not alot else that can be done.

Excepting of course if we lived in a Police State. Thankfully, the number of people who are twisted enough to do this is a tiny tiny minority.

I hope I've made myself clear.
    Unfortunately you have, and I feel a bit sorry for you now, you seem very frightened.

P.S: I never meant that people have to visit Israel... What I meant was that if people want to visit Israel and are scared, then they are completely out of order in my view, because as the world has seen - many other countries are extremely vulnerable to terrorist attacks.
    The only part of Israel that would interest me is the Dead Sea, but I'd probably find it all a bit too hot for my liking, terrorists or not.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    As I said - more guards = more safety, less enemployment.
    Bush is doing is best to turn us into a police state, let's not give him more opportunities.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibonbon
    That is what terrorists want to do, spread fear and disrupt life.

If these countries that have been attacked have to put guards at these locations, terrorist have won.

But if you visited Busy's part of the land, I am sure he can tell you of having security everywhere. Tho that isn't against terrorists. More due to certain demographics.
    Washington DC and Maryland?

No actually.

There are concierges/guards in multi-tenant buildings and the number increase in those folks are due to a terrorism threat. I know this specifically from going into Barry Farms projects and also going places like the Treasury building, FBI, Secret Service, and hell I even have to go back to Reuters News (I was there yesterday).

We have absolutely no increase in security due to demoGraphics...and what demographic would that be anyway?

Congress , The White House and AAFB being nearby?
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-08-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Not having guards outside every mall and shop is something we're pretty proud of here, and I'd think our American neighbours are too. It means we're not living in fear. We have emergency responses set up if it happens, but we don't live in fear of when it's going to happen. I hope I'm never reduced to living in the kind of fear that drove me to want armed guards searching me every time I wanted to go shopping.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    That is what terrorists want to do, spread fear and disrupt life.

If these countries that have been attacked have to put guards at these locations, terrorist have won.

But if you visited Busy's part of the land, I am sure he can tell you of having security everywhere. Tho that isn't against terrorists. More due to certain demographics.

No actually?

There are concierges/guards in multi-tenant buildings and the number increase in the folks are due to a terrorism threat.

We have absolutely no increase in security due to demobraphics...and what demographic what that be anyway?

Last time I was in DC, went to a Safeway, and what do I see? About 10 security guards.

I am rather sure they weren't there due to terrorists.

It was in a predominatly non-white we will call it area.
    Last edited by Tikibonbon; 07-08-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16

No actually?

There are concierges/guards in multi-tenant buildings and the number increase in the folks are due to a terrorism threat.

We have absolutely no increase in security due to demobraphics...and what demographic what that be anyway?

Last time I was in DC, went to a Safeway, and what do I see? About 10 security guards.

You are lying. There aren't 10 security guards at the front of any government building and I've been to every single Safeway in DC.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I think I agree with busyman on this one, certainly with regard to the travelling yank. There just aren't that many of them (proportionatelly) who leave the ewe essay to go anywhere.

If they do it's more likely to be a whistle stop tour of Europe.

Israel doesn't really have that much to entertain your average travelling phillistine.
    hmm, I wonder how the 117 travel agencies in this town stay open then.....

Isreal is actually a major destination, we do have a few Jews after all.

JPaul, you seem to dismiss all the humanitarian groups that travel the world over on a continual basis. For example, my gf makes two trips to honduras annually.
    He did say proportionatly, he wasnt getting at you

There are plenty of Americans that get around a bit, however per head of population its quite low.

This is probably because you have just about every climate/terraine etc within your own country somewhere, so why go through the hassel of getting a passport.

As to visiting Israel... the chances of being blown up by a bomb even when the terrorist threat was at its hight was very small. It wouldnt have noticably affected any plans i'd have.

I agree with those before me, if we let our lives change because of the terrorists, then they have won.

I dont wish to live in a police state, i'd rather take my chances with a Terrorist threat, thanks.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I think I agree with busyman on this one, certainly with regard to the travelling yank. There just aren't that many of them (proportionatelly) who leave the ewe essay to go anywhere.

If they do it's more likely to be a whistle stop tour of Europe.

Israel doesn't really have that much to entertain your average travelling phillistine.

JPaul, you seem to dismiss all the humanitarian groups that travel the world over on a continual basis. For example, my gf makes two trips to honduras annually.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, as I said I was referring to the average travelling phillistine.

That is entirely different from people who travel for religious or humanitarian reason. People in those groups would be less interested in the security situation than tourists would be.

Given the talk of sporting events and touristy type stuff I thought that's what the thread was about. Rather than pilgrims or aid workers.

Sorry for any confusion. I must remember not to agree with busyman again, it leads to no good.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

Sorry if I wasn't clear, as I said I was referring to the average travelling phillistine.

That is entirely different from people who travel for religious or humanitarian reason. People in those groups would be less interested in the security situation than tourists would be.

Given the talk of sporting events and touristy type stuff I thought that's what the thread was about. Rather than pilgrims or aid workers.

Sorry for any confusion. I must remember not to agree with busyman again, it leads to no good.
    Fuck were you thinkin'?

You like standin' in front of a dart board?

(I could have sworn I saw "average travelling phillistine" like at the end of yaw pawst but maybe people missed it, schucks )
    Last edited by Busyman; 07-08-2005 at 02:00 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep

You are lying. There aren't 10 security guards at the front of any government building and I've been to every single Safeway in DC.
    well, there were 2 cops on duty at the Holiday Inn Express we stayed in Morningside last weekend ( you know the one across the street from the main gate of Andrews Air Force base Busyman )

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast