Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Fatwa Issued

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I am informed by your Prime Minister that, since 1993, Al Qaeda has attacked 26 separate countries, 23 of whom are neither Britain, Spain nor the U.S.A.

Somewhat intriguing, that...
    I wouldnt believe "My" Prime Minister in anything regarding Iraq or Terrorism these days, the fact that you do scares me a little.

I believe he did say that 26 countries had been affected by Terrorism, not specifically Al Queda. I would suggest his figures are on the low side.. obviously his idea of terrorism differs from my own, I'd include places like Sudan, Burma and Palestine which he doesnt appear to.

The U.S. trained what might more truthfully (especially in the salient circumstances) be considered insurgents; to call them terrorists is to credit them with a status that neither they, nor necessarily Bin Laden, had earned at that point.

Funny, too, that you don't look upon these insurgents-cum-terrorists as acting in any fashion you would term "interventionist".
    I was using the word "Terrorist" as that is what they now are. I also believed you disagreed with the word "Insurgent".. however fair enough, at that time they were insurgents.

And actually, i do consider them to be "Interventionist".. the conflict had absolutely nothing to do with the USA. They just decided to use it to carry on their "war by proxy" with the USSR.

Amazing how many people died in this war between the superpowers... that belonged to neither country.

Then we should conclude which of the following?

1. Absent U.S. alliances, Israel's presence in the mideast would lose all objectionable aspects, and peace would reign, or-

2. Absent U.S. alliances, Israel could be treated to a successful Holocaust, and would thereby cease to be an irritant, allowing peace to reign.

No, that what you insist we want.

As has been debated many times... all that is wanted is no blatant favouritism.

You know, such as condemning one side and not the other, blocking Resolutions that are otherwise unanimous, trying to get the ones that were passed followed.. you know, a little fairness.

No one could ask more, and it wouldnt stop the terrorism... it would however cut the hatred of the USA coming from the area a little, which is a start.

True; all of them were dispersed throughout the mideast, with heavy concentrations in/about Israel.

Yes, more people are dying in Iraq; this is not a new fact.
    They still are, and there are more of them even more widely dispersed. Good Going.

Glad you agree.

Really.

Estimates of Saddam's victims run into the hundreds of thousands...how many does the U.N. claim we've killed with our carelessness?

To claim that we know any such thing is just a bit specious; in fact, the more specious, the more we can count on hearing claims to the effect that we "know" thus-and-such to be true.

Rhetorical tactics?

I think so...
    I was very specific in saying "In the 10 years prior".

The vast majority of Saddams crimes against his people happened before and just after the Gulf War.

He then put down an uprising that the Americans instigated and didnt help with, i believe.. and the majority of people killed were militia.

The vast majority of civilian deaths between the Gulf war and the invasion were caused by the bombing of the country by the UK/USA in the years between, which are part of the coalition.

Take this number and add in all the others from the actual invasion, falujah etc etc etc..

Yes, the coalition wins hands down.

Once Saddam had proved he was a bastard capable of doing anything, he had very to do except the occasional "Disappearance" and beating/rape, to keep the fear he wanted.

Hmmmm.

I thought we liked Turkey...I thought we liked the Kurds, too.

Are the Kurds currently allied with Al Qaeda?
    They always were allied with Al Queda. I did point out what the whitehouse website said, prior to the invasion.

All Al Queda training camps were in Kurd controlled territory.

The Kurds are now, as they have been for years, bombing Turkey as part of a seperest movement.

Guess its a little confusing whether you would call these Freedom Fighters or Terrorists as you like both...

There is corruption everywhere, Rat-do you think it is on the order of that which exists in other civilized countries, or is it more reflective of warlords in the further reaches of, say, the Sudan?

Hard to tell, I'd say.

As to the remark about Human Rights, I'll settle for stating I find it more than a little offensive, but, hey...no big deal.

I find any burgeoning friendship between Iraq and Iran a cause for hope; I wonder why you feel otherwise?

Since you regard the possibility of a positive relationship between Iraq and the U.S. with such suspicion (anent our rampant capitalism), I'd think you would be pleased with the Iran/Iraq situation...
    Yes, i'll agree that there is corruption everywhere.

Hard to say where its more pravalent than elsewhere, Russia is probably one of the worst at the moment on that front, i'd say.

However, its quite rare for a convicted fraudster to be given the position where he's in charge of the nations lifeblood.

Unless, of course, he also gave a lot of the false intelligence which caused the invasion and keeps coming up with documents that link certain parties to certain actions, that are usually found to be forged after the problem of those persons has gone away.

Handy guy to have around to produce "evidence" any day of the week.

The Human Rights thing... well, maybe you should look more closely at what rights you actually have left, not just the blatent camps, kidnappings and tortures that have happened.

Not just the US, that was Tongue in Cheek.. we have our own things happening around this question in the UK, as your aware.

Hey, if it's good enough for Blair, it's good enough for me.
    Thats a scary thought.

It sure isnt for me or a majority of Brits.

Gordon Brown won the election for Labour, not Tony Blaire... he is well aware of this fact.

You and the rest of the thirty-odd percent of Brits who think similarly.
    Where the hell did that figure come from?

The majority of the UK, from Polls, have always been against the war in Iraq, usually between 60-70% being agianst.

You either have your figures back to front, or your thinking i voted Labour.. who gained power with over 60% of the electorate voting AGAINST them.

Hardly a mandate

The Iraqis (that is to say, Saddam) were intent on running as far as they thought the U.N.'s reluctance to act would take them.

I thought everyone knew that.
    He was bending over backwards to show he had nothing.

Including suggesting ways the Inspectors see that they'd been destroyed, by bringing in technologies that could analyse the locations.... a move the UK/USA blocked.

The UK/USA were intent upon Invasion, come what may.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 07-21-2005 at 07:21 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Are the USA and Israel allies.

I'm old fashioned, I think you should support your allies. I thought that was the point.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Just before the Gulf War, USA and Iraq were allies.

Indeed, they told Iraq that they were not interested in a purely Arabian War, which encouraged the invasion of Kuwait.

They really stuck by them huh?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Maybe that is whats wrong in the Middle East. America does not support the Ali's, they support Israel.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced

Indeed, they told Iraq that they were not interested in a purely Arabian War, which encouraged the invasion of Kuwait.

So what you are saying is that the US encouraged Hussein to invade Iraq.

Then spent a fortune fighting against his army, to send the invading forces back from whence they came.

That's a bit mental.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

Then spent a fortune fighting against his army, to send the invading forces back from whence they came.

That's a bit mental.
    Hussain invaded Iraq?

As to your meaning..

The US told Hussain, just prior to the invasion of Kuwait:

"We have no interest in a purely Arabian war"
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 07-21-2005 at 10:54 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

That's a bit mental.
    Hussain invaded Iraq?

As to your meaning..

that could have been taken as "we aren't bothered if you play eachother" but was intended as "dude! if you have a war i'm playing too!"

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48

That's a bit mental.
    Hussain invaded Iraq?

As to your meaning..

Sorry, it's the less popular spelling of Kuwait, I thought everyone knew that.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345