Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To me, terrorism is exciting

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    This is a generalisation
    That seems a little harsh.

Who was it? Schwartzkopf? Powell?

I just thank god I've never been Generalised.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i agree. it's kinda cool, apart from the death and everything.[...]
    Well duh, terrorism is death.

And believe me, u wont find it "exciting" if your directly involved.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    you guys are lying to yourselves. you find it entertaining, shocking and distressing maybe. you watch the news and all the documenteries about terrorism. why would you do it if it wasn't interesting and entertaining. why would television bosses so much of primetime to these programs if it wasn't entertaining
    This clarifies so many things about you, Dave; thank you.
    do you actually know what?

i can admit destruction is awesome and i like to rubberneck. i can admit i am entertained in the same way an action or horror movie entertains me, the same way a rollercoaster entertains me. i can admit i like the rush of the fear and adrenaline.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Maybe it's me but.... There is a big difference between being in awe of something or fascinated by something then by being entertained by it.

I think/hope that it is fascination or awe that you are feeling rather then entertained.

If these terrorist actions entertain you in the same way an action/horror movie do, then it would seem you don't quite have a full grasp of reality.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    awe is entertainig, n00b

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'm sorry, but I don't find the accidents or terrorist attacks entertaining. I've been trying to see it from your side, but I really can't.

If I do watch the news and there's something about any such thing on, I don't get a rush, and I don't feel entertained. I might be glad that no one I know or love has been involved but I really don't get anything out of it beyond that.

But then I don't like or understand those people who'll hang around the sites of accidents with cameras, or people who buy police scanners in order to get information above accidents and such, either.

Had I a different moral code ('cos I think the key to being able to view it in another way is to be able to block out what's wrong about it), if my parents had brought me up in some other way, I might feel it was exciting, but as it is, the way I view the world doesn't allow for me to take pleasure out of tragedies the way you describe.

I know a lot of people do think like you, tho', so you definitely aren't alone.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-21-2005 at 02:55 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    awe is entertainig, n00b
    Well you've certainly convinced me

TD
    Last edited by tracydani; 07-21-2005 at 02:55 PM.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I'm sorry, but I don't find the accidents or terrorist attacks entertaining. I've been trying to see it from your side, but I really can't.

If I do watch the news and there's something about any such thing on, I don't get a rush, and I don't feel entertained. I might be glad that no one I know or love has been involved but I really don't get anything out of it beyond that.

But then I don't like or understand those people who'll hang around the sites of accidents with cameras, or people who buy police scanners in order to get information above accidents and such, either.

Had I a different moral code ('cos I think the key to being able to view it in another way is to be able to block out what's wrong about it), if my parents had brought me up in some other way, I might feel it was exciting, but as it is, the way I view the world doesn't allow for me to take pleasure out of tragedies the way you describe.

I know a lot of people do think like you, tho', so you definitely aren't alone.
    maybe entertainment is the wrong word, but it's human nature to be excited by danger and to rubberneck

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I dunno' if I can agree with you completely, but it is human nature to be "excited" when you percieve that you are in danger, it's 'cos your body gears up the production of adrenaline to ready you for a threat.

It makes you stronger, faster and more alert.

I still wouldn't call it entertaining in itself, but as you say, that is probably the wrong word.

As for the rubbernecking bit, it's human instinct to make sure the danger isn't heading your way, I know that.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703777.stm

Did you remember the pop corn ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast