Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: death sentence in the uk?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    The government would have to re-introduce the death penalty for treason.
    No they wouldn't.

They would merely have to withdraw from a certain EU treaty, which they would have to do anyway before trying to introduce any legislation for a death penalty for anything

Its still on the books, however the EU Human Rights treaties have precedence..
    So in reality the difference is?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #102
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Anywhere from 6 months to forever...

The existing legislation would automatically come into effect on withdrawing from the treaty.

It takes forever to get those bastards in Parliament to pass any new legislation not in their own direct interests
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 07-28-2005 at 07:04 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #103
    Anywhere from 6 months to forever...

The existing legislation would automatically come into effect on withdrawing from the treaty.

It takes forever to get those bastards in Parliament to pass any new legislation not in their own direct interests
    You've gone off on a tangent. i just asked how what you wrote differs from what i said...that it would need to be re-introduced.

However I think you may be incorrect about it still being on the books. The Crime and Disorder Act.1998 (googled ) removed it as far as i can tell. The treaty you are talking of was a "never again" treaty.

Edit: this would have save me some reading
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-28-2005 at 07:28 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #104
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Thanks for that.

I hadnt realised that the The Crime & Disorder Act abolished the death penalty, it wasnt even mentioned in the summary we were given about it.

If that BBC thing is right, then the only Capital Offence now is Mutiny, which means only in the Armed Services in time of war probably....

If we ever withdraw from that treaty that is...

I withdraw my comment sir

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #105
    Treason still carries the death penalty

6. The Drawing Room   -   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Voetsek
    Treason still carries the death penalty
    where?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #107
    Thanks for that.

I hadnt realised that the The Crime & Disorder Act abolished the death penalty, it wasnt even mentioned in the summary we were given about it.

If that BBC thing is right, then the only Capital Offence now is Mutiny, which means only in the Armed Services in time of war probably....

If we ever withdraw from that treaty that is...

I withdraw my comment sir
    I thought as you did until I used google.with it being the treaty..(busy/j2... it can serve to educate as well as make us appear "learned" )

I knew it had been abolished but not the details as to how.

I think where we got confused was that the treaty removed the military crimes thing...I think.
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-29-2005 at 01:56 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #108

9. The Drawing Room   -   #109
    An interesting read but doesn't answer the question

10. The Drawing Room   -   #110
    Looking at the arrests in hackney today it doesn't look like those two at least were ready to die.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast