Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: death sentence in the uk?

manker's Avatar effendi
    Deterence won't work, clearly, with suicide bombers. The punitive measure should, presumably, be unpalatable to them. Execution isn't, therefore keeping them incarcerated - forcing them to benefit our society by doing menial tasks - is a better option. I don't care if it costs the state more.

Denying them rudimentary means with which to worship and not bowing to their specific dietry needs for the remainder of their lives would be a far greater punishment.

I fail to see how I'd feel better if a failed suicide bomber was executed.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    One of the many things I cant comprehend is why is it if you take a piece of land of another country thousands will be killed because of your action. But if you assassinate a the leader of a country, in most cases you will be fed and watered by that country for the rest of your life.

Is a piece of land worth more than a persons life?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Life in prison, with no prospect of parole. Given nothing but the necessities of life. No entertainment, no cigarettes, nothing but food and water.

Made to work to help pay for their keep.

Keep them alive as long as possible and let others see what they would be in for. Don't make martyrs of them, that just encourages other mentalists to do the same.

The death penalty is wrong. It is barbaric and speaks badly of societies which have it.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    I think I would change my opinion on the death penalty pretty quick if one of my kids was murdered by a paedophile. Albeit I would probably like it to be summarily.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I think I would change my opinion on the death penalty pretty quick if one of my kids was murdered by a paedophile. Albeit I would probably like it to be summarily.
    Is empathy not a strong point, Boab

I wouldn't change my mind simply because the issue is directly affecting me all of a sudden. I think your statement is a bit nimbyish.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

I wouldn't change my mind simply because the issue is directly affecting me all of a sudden. I think your statement is a bit nimbyish.
    Is this another new word of yours?

I assume and hope that it has not affected you. You do not know how you would react if it did. If you ever get the chance try and visit a Criminal Mental Institution. Some 'things' in these establishments make Hannibal Lecter look like Mother Teresa. Hope I got that the right way round.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Deterence won't work, clearly, with suicide bombers. The punitive measure should, presumably, be unpalatable to them. Execution isn't,
    How about burying them against their religious beliefs after execution in the case of religious fanatics?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Deterence won't work, clearly, with suicide bombers. The punitive measure should, presumably, be unpalatable to them. Execution isn't,
    How about burying them against their religious beliefs after execution in the case of religious fanatics?
    Wouldn't that negate your point about executing them being less problematic than incarceration wrt future attacks.

If we start burying them wrapped in pigskin, or whatever, it will raise the ire of fanatics worldwide far more than simply locking them up sans privileges.
    Last edited by manker; 07-24-2005 at 07:47 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    What about not naming them. There cant be anything worse than saying Saint Whatshisname? You know the one that bombed such and such.

Make it against the law for the papers to publish the names of bombers, suicidal or otherwise. Take away their notoriety.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    manker's Avatar effendi

Is this another new word of yours?

I assume and hope that it has not affected you. You do not know how you would react if it did. If you ever get the chance try and visit a Criminal Mental Institution. Some 'things' in these establishments make Hannibal Lecter look like Mother Teresa. Hope I got that the right way round.
    It's not a new word. It's an acronym that's fairly widespread, I thought.

If a situation like that affected me then I'd obviously feel rage and want to kill the guy with my bare hands. Assuming I don't get the opportunity, I believe I'd reflect on the matter and defer to my original mindset that killing people for retribution simply isn't on and that life incarceration is a much more fitting punishment.

However, as you correctly say, it is impossible for me to know this 100% percent.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast