Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post oc issue?

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Yeah, thanks VB, in hindsight we should have gone for the new BIOS right away. It's just that it looked a lot like the earlier router issues he had. So we figured we'd try drivers and whatnot and see what happened.

And I had this notion putting another ethernet card in might reset something.

Also, wrt the floppy drive, I gave him this one, and the cable, and I'd been using it on my comp before I gave it to him, files transferred with it had even passed the occasional checksum check, so I was pretty confident that the drive was good.

Y'all still made me a bit uncertain about flashing through it tho'

Wrt the floppy vs. windows debate I'm guessing it has to do with a lot of people trying to flash their BIOS on unstable machines, clocker. If your windows has a tendency to go wobbly 'cos something is off in your BIOS I suppose the chances of the flash getting interrupted or corrupted are bigger With a floppy there's no windows to filter things through, or something.

And lynx, if the mac addy kept getting buggered that'd certainly have done it, so that explains a lot. The worst part is that that particular BIOS came on the driver cd for the mobo, and was the only one we had available, as we had no floppies and his BIOS was corrupted.

Lastly, this Crash Free BIOS thing from Asus is brilliant IMO. Dunno' if my machine would even get far enough to let me flash BIOS if my BIOS was borked the way his was. Dunno' if you can go as far as Asus does and say that it totally eliminates the risk of you having to get a new CMOS chip in case of a busted BIOS, but it certainly saved this mobo.
    Last edited by Snee; 08-03-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123