Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Strange

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Poor or imprecise use of the language leads to misunderstanding, tension and strife.

Those who revel in this are selfish and think little of the people they are dealing with.

This is only my opinion, however it is also correct.
    I don't understand that at all.

I just don't see the importance of pointing out a mistake in grammar or spelling, punctuation or anything else when you know what it means.
    I typed Hieght......you knew what it meant.
    I typed "Is'nt" .....you knew what I meant.
    Why the need to correct it on a forum where more people on here type incorrectly and most of the words are bloody made up anyway.
    I simply don't see what kick people get out of it.
    Fair enough if you genuanly don't know what I've typed then ask, but why correct? I'm not on an exam nor job interview, simply and internet forum.

See my point?

Jonno

What makes you think I was referring to you.

I was, as you invited, pointing something out. It is my belief that poor communication leads to the things I said it did.

So I pointed it out.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wanted.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    What makes you think I think you were reffering to me?
    I answered your quote with the statement "I don't understand that at all"
    I then gave a space......

...like so, and gave my opinion on the subject at hand.

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 08-07-2005 at 03:13 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Poor or imprecise use of the language leads to misunderstanding, tension and strife.

Those who revel in this are selfish and think little of the people they are dealing with.

This is only my opinion, however it is also correct.
    I don't understand that at all.

I just don't see the importance of pointing out a mistake in grammar or spelling, punctuation or anything else when you know what it means.
    I typed Hieght......you knew what it meant.
    I typed "Is'nt" .....you knew what I meant.
    Why the need to correct it on a forum where more people on here type incorrectly and most of the words are bloody made up anyway.
    I simply don't see what kick people get out of it.
    Fair enough if you genuanly don't know what I've typed then ask, but why correct? I'm not on an exam nor job interview, simply and internet forum.

See my point?

Jonno
    How many times a day do I have to ask you for clarification of something you've said to me, because you've used slang terms or improper English?

It's an internet forum, yes. For many people here, English is not their first language. Many colloquialisms you use are not universal to English speaking people everywhere. Most often, a spelling error is recognizable to people who have a firm command of the English language, but to many, whose English is limited, it may not make any sense at all. Thus, communication is very important.

When all you have to express yourself is the written word, isn't it better when everyone can understand your words?

4. Lounge   -   #24
    First, yes slang, not spelling.I speak my native tounge, that is allowed, everyone I know understands me because thats how we speak.

An i and an e the wrong way round or an ' in the wrong place is hardly gonna be missunderstood.
    And like I said, if you don't understand........ask.

I'm sorry I'm not as well spoken or have a "Firm grasp" of the english language as you guys, I'm me, take me and the way I speak/type how I am or not at all.

Either that or correct everyone.Or request admin to put a spellcheck on the board.

I simply don't see the need to correct someone all the time, a question which has yet to be answered.

Jonno

Edit: Also you say type words everyone can understand.....I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one who barely understands some of the words some of you guys come out with. In that situation ,I ask.
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 08-07-2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: I put "Firm gasp" d'oh!

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Retired
    Ross and me found a spell check mod for vB

I'll have a look how it works and if vB 3.5 is compatible
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 08-07-2005 at 03:26 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    First, yes slang, not spelling.I speak my native tounge, that is allowed, everyone I know understands me because thats how we speak.
    Ah, so in other words, those who don't live in Sheringham can basically go to hell then, because we don't understand your local terms.

An i and an e the wrong way round or an ' in the wrong place is hardly gonna be missunderstood.
    And like I said, if you don't understand........ask.
    I do. As I said, several times a day. Wouldn't it be easier to say what you mean the first time, rather than having to explain it afterwards?

I'm sorry I'm not as well spoken or have a "Firm gasp" of the english language as you guys, I'm me, take me and the way I speak/type how I am or not at all.
    And I'm a perfectionist, as YOU well know. Hence the nickname, "Monika". It's a natural instinct to correct things.

Either that or correct everyone.Or request admin to put a spellcheck on the board.
    Apparently you only read the threads you post in, otherwise you'd notice all the times everyone corrects other people as well. I'm corrected sometimes, it's not a big deal. I don't always proofread my posts, so when I make an error and I miss it, I don't have an issue if someone else picks up on it. I take it as a bit of ribbing amongst friends.

I simply don't see the need to correct someone all the time, a question which has yet to be answered.
    For my part, I'd say it's because I talk to you more often than most, so I probably correct you more often.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    I take it as a bit of ribbing amongst friends.
    If you didn't then I wouldn't jocularly correct you.

Well May bee jist a uoi bit.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    Ah, so in other words, those who don't live in Sheringham can basically go to hell then, because we don't understand your local terms.
    I "Speak" fine, you know that. I can't spell and my punctuation is bad, you know that too.
    I don't see what the problem is.

I do. As I said, several times a day. Wouldn't it be easier to say what you mean the first time, rather than having to explain it afterwards?
    So you did'nt understand "Hieght" nor "Is'nt"?
    Yu asked yesterday about "Happy as larry" , it's a saying I'm sure many people on here have heard of.
    Rabbiting, meaning talking a lot, you never heard of that, but many on here have. it's cultural differences, everyone is right because it's how they speak where they come from, you spell mum, mom, to me......thats wrong, in school and in the english dictionary it's "mum", I do try to type so you can understand what I say, but I do use slang, always have , always will.etc etc.

And I'm a perfectionist, as YOU well know. Hence the nickname, "Monika". It's a natural instinct to correct things.
    And I'm uptight and fik and don't wanna be corrected.
    So my response is as justfied as your correction.

Apparently you only read the threads you post in, otherwise you'd notice all the times everyone corrects other people as well. I'm corrected sometimes, it's not a big deal. I don't always proofread my posts, so when I make an error and I miss it, I don't have an issue if someone else picks up on it. I take it as a bit of ribbing amongst friends.
    Thats fine, you're you.......I'm me. I take a ribbing, I'm just sensitive about spelling correction, I find it a personal insult and all I see it as is people trying to say "Look you spelt that wrong, means I'm cleverer than you"
    Call it childish or whatever, thats a fact.

For my part, I'd say it's because I talk to you more often than most, so I probably correct you more often.
    But you don't correct me, not very often because you know I don't like it.

Jonno

9. Lounge   -   #29
    If you didn't then I wouldn't jocularly correct you.
    You see?
    I have absolutely no idea what that word means.

But I make a spelling mistake and aprently no one can understand me.

Jonno

10. Lounge   -   #30
    What makes you think I think you were reffering to me?
    The words you used and the order you used them in.

Oh and you've got your tenses a bit mixed up there. "think" is present tense, "were" is past tense.

So really you want is "What makes you think you I think you are ...." or "What makes you think I thought you were ...."

Or even better you could also change "makes" to "made", which would give you "What made you think, I thought you were ..." which is what I think you really meant.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast