Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer Questions.

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Terry is paid £90K (£6 million a year or so) a week, Beckham and the Real Madrid co are paid over £160K a week. American's who play Basketball earn crazy money, like £20 million a year. I suspect it's the same for that game where Americans put on 3 inches of thick army armor and crash into each other as fast as they can.

@Manker - Our special one (Teh Mourinho) has never lost to Manchester Utd, Le Arsenal and another 15 teams in the premiership. Chelsea pwn'd Teh ManUSA 2-1 at your own ground, and again 3 - 1 on the second to last match of last season, with our reserve team pretty much. I remember teh Man Utd played did a lap of honor and Mourinho laughed and said if they had done that (lose badly and do a lap of honor) in Portugal they would have had shit thrown at them

@ Teh Stupid Americans - Please refrain from posting comments on subjects which most of you know fuck all about and start flaming, i could go on for hours about why American Football is shit (and yes i do know the rules and have played it) but i don't. TBH i don't give a shit what little arguement your having with Manker in a different thread, no need to start bashing a sport just cause your one is shit.
    If you don't give a shit, why post? Oh 'cause it's this thread?

Second off, anyone can bash whatever sport they like.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkBarMan
    No one denies marketing is a big part of American sports these days, but damn when your payroll is over $200 million, someone has to pay for it.
    Real Madrids payroll was over $140 million 2 years ago...

They dont need timeouts...

I think the timeouts are to give the American players a breather 'coz of all the armour they're wearing
    I think one difference is that in soccer you can pace yourself but in the NFL you are expected to go hard every single play. No one can slag off or could fuck the whole play up. Now in basketball, you can breathers all the time. Sometimes you'll one player that can dismantle a team.

All the other defensive players have to do in some instances is just stay near the man they're guarding and other offensive players sometimes watch a person like Michael Jordan do most of the work.

Speaking of timeouts....I really hate the rule that allows a team to advance the ball past half-court on a timeout (under a minute). They put this rule in to make games closer for last second shots but it seems unfair.

Ironically........it does make games exciting I'm sorry to say. Still unfair. .....especially if hurts my team.
    Last edited by Busyman; 09-13-2005 at 11:39 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Sports Club   -   #23
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Why doesn't the clock ever seem to stop in this sport? Doesn't this take away a whole area of strategy from the teams by not allowing them to time out at key points to devise an attack or defense.

Also, a player is allowed to step or run out of bounds with the ball as long as the ball stays in bounds? Please explain.

Liverpool seems to be pretty good, at least on this day. They have scored 2 goals within the first 14 minutes of the match.
    1. Because that's the way it's played. No.

2. Because the player leaving the field does not constitute the game stopping. Done.

3. Statement, does not require an answer.

4. Sports Club   -   #24
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Offensive talent is there right from the start (dribbling, shooting) and cannot be taught, as such, you'll either be good at that when you're a kid, or you never will - but defensive tactics are easy to teach (tackling, positioning)
    i disagree there. Defensive positioning can be taught but it's much more instinctive then attacking off-the-ball runs. Strikers just have the simple job of running into space

also didn't they consider splitting a football match into quarters to increase advertising time and cause all sorts of mathematical problems?
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

5. Sports Club   -   #25
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    heres a difference:

basketball - 95% black people
    hockey: - 99% white people
    soccer - 60% white people

Is that a difference between sports?
    Please don't post some rubish such as this without some sort of factual data backing it up.

Chelsea's payroll is way more than US$200million this year. Man United's is approaching that figure.

I suspect that Real Madrid's and Barcelona's are higher than both, but I duno.
    What is the point of this? Are you trying to compare team prices based on the fact American Football, for example, has timeouts and some are based on selling ads and I justified that by saying somone has to pay for it?

Come now, last time I checked soccer players were running around with company sponsers all over their jerseys. Take a look around the arena and what do you see on that barrier used to keep all the fanatics from killing the opposition?

It's the same result, just done differently. If you want to argue timeouts can make a sport not as exciting or however you would like to state it, then yeah I agree with that statement.

I just don't see the basis for this argument, sorry.

Besides, if there wasn't money to made in this game with these sponsors, I am sure the Malcolm Glazer wouldn't own both an NFL team and Manchester United, or parts of them.

Quote Originally Posted by busyman
    Damn dude that's a little much.

I like all sports to an extent and watch soccer on occasion (as well as Rugby Union). I think it's kinda boring too but don't insult the British for it.
    Yeah I admit it was a bit much.

There wasn't a need for the backhanded comments made about Americans either. Obviously those are allowed as it's the norm with some people, unlike British bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by peerzy
    @ Teh Stupid Americans - Please refrain from posting comments on subjects which most of you know fuck all about and start flaming, i could go on for hours about why American Football is shit (and yes i do know the rules and have played it) but i don't. TBH i don't give a shit what little arguement your having with Manker in a different thread, no need to start bashing a sport just cause your one is shit.
    Please reread this post and realise who is the shortsighted one, and then come back with something other then obvious American attacks.

If you want to bash American's sports, go right ahead.

I don't have any argument with anyone in any threads, other then maybe this one.

If manker and I don't see eye to eye, that's ok, and as an adult, (take notes kids), I don't hold grudges. People mistake arguments for hatred or dislike, which is not true.

Your correlation between the hurricane thread and this one is way off track, but keep thinking as you like.

Just for the record, a touchdown isn't 7 points, it's 6. A team has an option of going for 1 extra point or 2 after they score in the endzone.

A field goal is indeed 3 points, so I'll give ya that one.

6. Sports Club   -   #26
    JunkBarMan's Avatar Milk Sucks,Got Beer?
    One last question, what's the point of the "Real" before some of the names?

Are there "Fake" Madrid teams out there?

Seems stupid, but with how obsessive many people can be about the sport, it doesn't strike me outside the realm of possibility.

7. Sports Club   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    The games are different through,
    Nahhh your shittin' me. You like switchin' my words around to make a new sentence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Although basketball is a different
    in basketball you don't have a goalkeeper do you, plus even with a man infront of you a lot of the time you can still score as the hope is above head height Football has a goalkeeper who has an advantage over other players as he could use his hands. So unless your a young budding Frank Lampard or Wayne Rooney is you hit it from 20 yards chances are the keeper is going to get something on it, if not catch it.
    No goalkeeper but the goal is just little bigger than the ball and the court size is smaller than a field.

With no other defensive players, basic mechanics of soccer are very easy to pick up which lends to it's popularity and longevity. Also there really isn't any special equipment needed to play.
    Last edited by Busyman; 09-14-2005 at 01:19 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Sports Club   -   #28
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    'Real(royal)' in Real Madrid is given to them because they were blesed by King Alfonso XIII of Spain June of 1920.

I love wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Madrid

9. Sports Club   -   #29
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Funny thread! this should be in funny stuff...

Here are my points.

1. 95% of basketball players are very very tall.

2. "Real" means Royal.

3. Soccer skills, even offensive skills, can be taught.. Natural talent IS important, but Brazilians don't come out of the womb and can immediately "step-over" as soon as they can walk.

4. "Added Time Multi-Ball" is not such a bad idea when you think about it..

10. Sports Club   -   #30
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Chelsea's payroll is way more than US$200million this year. Man United's is approaching that figure.

I suspect that Real Madrid's and Barcelona's are higher than both, but I duno.
    What is the point of this? Are you trying to compare team prices based on the fact American Football, for example, has timeouts and some are based on selling ads and I justified that by saying somone has to pay for it?

Come now, last time I checked soccer players were running around with company sponsers all over their jerseys. Take a look around the arena and what do you see on that barrier used to keep all the fanatics from killing the opposition?

It's the same result, just done differently. If you want to argue timeouts can make a sport not as exciting or however you would like to state it, then yeah I agree with that statement.

I just don't see the basis for this argument, sorry.

Besides, if there wasn't money to made in this game with these sponsors, I am sure the Malcolm Glazer wouldn't own both an NFL team and Manchester United, or parts of them.
    I totally ignored it when YOU brought it up, the fact that someone has to pay for the huge salaries, because it's not an important point. My comments there were chit-chat to RF and I drew no conclusion from them, I had recently read a financial report on Chelsea, so knew their payroll and guessed at the other three. Just passing the time.

That's not the basis of my argument. You know that because I had written it - yet chose to ignore all my other remarks to focus on a post I made to a different member. Poor show.

My point is that time-outs would be completely unnecessary in football and I think that the time-outs in basketball cause unnecessary fragmentation to the game, from the fans point of view.

I also intimated that soccer is the most popular game in the world so to call it boring is indicative of your own non-appreciation of the game rather than the game itself.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast