Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wireless router

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    80211g broadcasts at a higher frequency therby making more easliy blocked by walls, cabinet, large furniture, etc.

To be practical, you have nothing to gain by switching to 80211g. While it runs at a higher frequency(hence the faster throughput), you'll still encounter the same problems(and than some) you have with your 80211b setup.

Try putting the router in a place that has the fewest obstacles between your PC and the it. And, as stated above, metal surfaces, conduit, cabinets, etc. can block/disrupt the signal.

good luck with it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    You could always move the fridge.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    80211g broadcasts at a higher frequency therby making more easliy blocked by walls, cabinet, large furniture, etc.
    Both b and g transmit in the 2.4GHz band.
    However hihger data rate generally require a better signal to noise ratio.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I have both g and b, and this is just my own experience, but when I test my internet connection speed b and g perform the same.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mex
    I have both g and b, and this is just my own experience, but when I test my internet connection speed b and g perform the same.
    That's because the internet speed is the limiting factor, not the speed of your wireless network.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I'm wondering if I could connect an additional cable modem. I have a new one which I use for VOIP telephone service, but I still have my old one. I wonder how long I can use it before they notice. What are they looking for when they do notice? If I did that I'd connect directly instead of wireless since it's faster.
    Last edited by backlash; 10-29-2005 at 11:04 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    nope, that didn't work (additional cable modem)

/me sighs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12