Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the flag or the crucifix

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    the flag symbolises seperation, conquest, war, etc. that is not what this guy believes in and he thinks it contradicts his religion. whether or not he fornicates or anything is irrelevent.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    the flag symbolises seperation, conquest, war, etc. that is not what this guy believes in and he thinks it contradicts his religion. whether or not he fornicates or anything is irrelevent.
    The flag also symbolizes freedom.

The freedom to practice his religion or any religion as he sees fit, the freedom to express himself and the right to be heard.

An acknowledgement of this right, which is certainly not the global norm, prevents us from taking it for granted.

As a religious person might say grace before diving into a meal to remind himself that some go to bed hungry, a citizen might give tribute to the rights his country gives him, lest he take them for granted.

This is best exemplified by a rather popular fundamental Christian camp, Kanakuk, that I attended as a child. Every morning was started with morning prayer and the raising of the flag. I left that camp understanding the philosophy of Jesus, but I let them keep the God part.

Although the teacher may have true conviction behind his beliefs, I think he just started focusing on all the wrong sort of details. Not really a good issue to take a your big stand on.

I imagine if his wife wanted him to put a picture of her on his desk, he would file for divorce.

Now, why exactly do you hate flags? How is a country having a flag any different or more divisive than you using an avatar on this forum? It just presents a symbol or an identity.

Now if the flag said, Fuck you with a picture of an extended middle finger, I might see that as a bit unsettling.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Hobbes

I think I would agree that it seems an odd hill to pitch ones standard

We Scots are fond of our flags (indeed we have a few lest we get weary of one pattern) Yet I do have a small degree of residual sympathy for him. A flag in a classroom does seem a tad strange. They look best on a flag pole (or wrapped around a drunken football fan comes a close second).

Large flags are useful for hiding behind when Scotland play football
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    This is the Vatican Flag, which I believe is also known as the Papal Flag.

As I understand it this flag is also considered to be a flag of state. If memory serves we used to fly the Union Flag when we used it (Vatican Flag) for religious ceremonies, like processions (which I believe is a rule where flags of state are concerned).

(As an interesting aside we used to borrow the Union Flag from the local Masonic Lodge. We also borrowed the RWM's Chair once when the late Archbishop Winning (later Cardinal) was presiding over the Corpus Christi procession. We needed a high backed seat for him. My late Father and I draped a Papal Flag over it, covering the symbol, I'm sure he enjoyed the irony as much as eye)

Anyhoo, I have no problem with flags. If the school rule was that the flag was there, then it should have been there. He may have felt that it was not commensurate with his particular belief system, that would be a matter for him.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Bebi's Avatar Super Duper Member
    pfft... who would want to live in a country where if you dont want to have a stupid flag in your classroom then you get sacked... freedom of speech my fking ass AMERICA.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebi
    pfft... who would want to live in a country where if you dont want to have a stupid flag in your classroom then you get sacked... freedom of speech my fking ass AMERICA.
    It's not the teacher's school. If the school wanted green chalkboards but the teacher wanted a blackboard, it ain't up to the teacher to change it.

All in all it worked out. The teacher couldn't deal with the flag and he GTFO.

I worked at Arby's when I was younger. I got my left ear pierced and had a gold stud in it. When I got to work the owner said I couldn't wear an earring. I said why not and he said it's not allowed. He actually showed me in some Arby rule book and it said male's were not allowed to wear earrings....I then quit.

Seemed fair to me (besides the obvious sexism in the rule book). I didn't want to abide by the rules. I GTFO.

Besides all a dat, wtf does this have to do with infringing on free speech?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I feel it is more a point of principle than any baring on reality.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    I am against the baring of RealitY. Nothing against the chap, I just don't swing that way.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I am against the baring of RealitY. Nothing against the chap, I just don't swing that way.
    But you're okay with baring on RealitY?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    But you're okay with baring on RealitY?
    Fill yer boots, mate. To each their own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12