Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Curse of the Second Term

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    ...that something that is directly related to the country's security (and serious crimes of your top leaders) is summarily excused for bullshit reasons when it's CaptainObvious.

4. Stupid and sheepish are somewhat redundent. Are you an idiot or a dolt? Sheepish is obvious though....like a sheep....
    I excused nothing, summarily or otherwise.

As to sheepish, crack a dictionary, B.

You'll feel a bit sheepish yourself.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    However, the principle of second term implosion is interesting as some sort of political phenomenon. Do Presidents get blase because they are no longer seeking re-election? The appointment of Miers is possibily a better indication of this than any naughtiness Mr Libby or Mr DeLay have been up to.

Is George frittering his political capital away like a kid in a candy store?
    A second term is like jumping into a tank full of hungry sharks. The fact that there cannot be a third term means that the opposition cranks up the pressure to show that a change of party is needed and the lawmakers from the presidents party are looking for their own ambitions and are less likely to lay in front of the tank to protect the president.
    I'm sure if presidents could only serve one term the scandals would come to light earlier, likewise if they could serve more than two terms the "second term curse" would probably not occur.
    The scandals are always there, such is politics it's the oppositions job to find them (or create them), it's just a matter of support or lack of in covering them up.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I excused nothing, summarily or otherwise.

As to sheepish, crack a dictionary, B.

You'll feel a bit sheepish yourself.
    Oh rly?

This is... ...is not the only definition of sheepish.

I'll invoke the tamed obedience definition for you, Ed McMahon.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-30-2005 at 03:00 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I am not familar with the details of the cases above, although I am aware of some of the names and that there are court issues pending. (Libby strikes as a curious name for a Bush aide )

However, the principle of second term implosion is interesting as some sort of political phenomenon. Do Presidents get blase because they are no longer seeking re-election? The appointment of Miers is possibily a better indication of this than any naughtiness Mr Libby or Mr DeLay have been up to.

Is George frittering his political capital away like a kid in a candy store?
    You have to remember that a new Republican Presidential nominee must take the reigns. Folks are going to try separate themselves from others and if Bush is considered a blunder, separate themselves from all his bad policies. Ultimately, since the Christian right won the election for him, it will probably be the right way to go sans the bad stuff.

You always see the mudslinging on both sides after a 2-term President for obvious reasons.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Oh rly?

This is... ...is not the only definition of sheepish.

I'll invoke the tamed obedience definition for you, Ed McMahon.
    I was going to point out that you might prefer to use the word ovine, or even stick to your previous "sheep-like", but if you insist on wrong usages, by all means, feel free.

You have never seemed to be intent on building credibility, anyway.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I was going to point out that you might prefer to use the word ovine, or even stick to your previous "sheep-like", but if you insist on wrong usages, by all means, feel free.

You have never seemed to be intent on building credibility, anyway.
    I'm not a politician and neither are you. You smoothing over an obvious leak from someone up top in the Republican party does nothing for your credibility either. What this person (or these people) did is despicable.

If sheepish is sheep-like (among other definitions) then the usage was correct in the first place.

Maybe you could crack open your dictionary every once and awhile.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    @ J2k4 and Busyman

This a potentially interesting topic for Drawing Room debate, please keep your fisticuffs for the lounge... Any more, and I may start hitting the delete button...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    @ J2k4 and Busyman

This a potentially interesting topic for Drawing Room debate, please keep your fisticuffs for the lounge... Any more, and I may start hitting the delete button...
    Done here, Ma'am.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Biggles,
    The phenomonon of the second term implosion is rooted in the fact that reelection is no longer a concern, so the Administration's pet agendas can be forwarded with little fear of repercussion.
    Hence the Bush desire to delay the gun shield legislation until now...the fallout can't hurt his future election chances.
    Typically, the President's personal agenda is moderated somewhat by concerns for his party's future, but Bush seems more interested in his personal legacy and the rank and file be damned.

J2,
    The fact that Libby ( and so far, only Libby...Rove is apparently dancing frantically to avoid the same charges) has only been charged with lying under oath (and lying about more important matters, i.e. WMD, has never seemed a problem for this administration) and obstruction of justice does not detract from the fact that the compact between undercover operatives and the government they serve has now become vulnerable to political gamesmanship.
    Plame's status as "undercover" or not is irrelevant, how secure can any operative feel knowing that political expediency trumps their personal security?
    For an administration that fancies itself as being on a war footing, comprimising it's intelligence service seems like a real bone-headed move, don't you think?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Biggles,
    The phenomonon of the second term implosion is rooted in the fact that reelection is no longer a concern, so the Administration's pet agendas can be forwarded with little fear of repercussion.
    Hence the Bush desire to delay the gun shield legislation until now...the fallout can't hurt his future election chances.
    Typically, the President's personal agenda is moderated somewhat by concerns for his party's future, but Bush seems more interested in his personal legacy and the rank and file be damned.

J2,
    The fact that Libby ( and so far, only Libby...Rove is apparently dancing frantically to avoid the same charges) has only been charged with lying under oath (and lying about more important matters, i.e. WMD, has never seemed a problem for this administration) and obstruction of justice does not detract from the fact that the compact between undercover operatives and the government they serve has now become vulnerable to political gamesmanship.
    Plame's status as "undercover" or not is irrelevant, how secure can any operative feel knowing that political expediency trumps their personal security?
    For an administration that fancies itself as being on a war footing, comprimising it's intelligence service seems like a real bone-headed move, don't you think?

Quality.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast