Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Footballer Ever

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah a topic close to my heart , do you think it may an Americain one day ? Freddie Abu ? Sorry to be lazy to do a spell check, to get the last name right .

Might be the best thing to happen in the world of soccer tho ! (Ya he's not born in America. But just think in 5 years or so . )

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    Freddy Adu

He's good, but to young and hasn't played with the big boys yet. Zidane was cartainly special. Zico, Pele, Best, Gazza & Rivaldo were also pretty special. Kaka could go onto do some magical things, remember he is playing in a league thats built around having the best defence and he's only 22. I still stand by my choice of Drogba though

Who's to say it won't be Rooney, or C. Ronaldo, although he currently has no end product and half the time he's great and the other half he's shyte. Robben could become one of the worlds best if he recaptures his form from last season. Lampards so good as well right now, he's scoring goals, made more tackles than Gerrard this season, played a record ammount of 163 games in a row, when you consider he's playing for a team with pratically unlimited funds and a certain few world class players just waiting for him to crack a bone so they can get a match or two.

For me the all time best player ever was Pele, shame he never played in Europe. Currently the best player in the world is Lampard, just because he's got everything apart from stuid tricks that don't win you matches. For someone with the best potential in the world it's got to be Messi. Ronaldinho is possibly the most entertaining.

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    But we still pwn'd him, and we will again come Feb

Seriously though, within the next few years Messi will be the name on everyones lips. Ronaldinho will be reduced to modeling for toothpaste
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize we were including players from the future.

In that case I have no idea.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Seaman rates Ronaldinho doesn't he?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    But we still pwn'd him, and we will again come Feb

Seriously though, within the next few years Messi will be the name on everyones lips. Ronaldinho will be reduced to modeling for toothpaste
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize we were including players from the future.

In that case I have no idea.
    Fuck it, crap come back, you win

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    George Best was the best, even Pele said so.

All these clever tricks that Ronaldinho does was done by Best but with a ball much harder to control, especially when it was wet!

Plus, when Best did those tricks he was getting lumps kicked out of him, think Ronaldinho could've managed that? I don't.

Best was head and shoulders above the other players, Ronaldinho isn't.

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    The thing is it would be impossible to compare Best/Pele with players from this era of football. I've watched hundreds of Best/Pele clips and the defenders looked a lot easier to beat, not because they were shyter but because the rules of the game at that time said no sliding tackles, no using your arms as body strength to get the ball. Current players have a lot harder job because the rules are more lax and the defenders can attempt and get away with a lot more.

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    The thing is it would be impossible to compare Best/Pele with players from this era of football. I've watched hundreds of Best/Pele clips and the defenders looked a lot easier to beat, not because they were shyter but because the rules of the game at that time said no sliding tackles, no using your arms as body strength to get the ball. Current players have a lot harder job because the rules are more lax and the defenders can attempt and get away with a lot more.
    Peerzy, what the fuck are you talking about

Either you're rodding or that's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read

Back in the day defenders were allowed to tackle two footed from behind, slide tackling/using body strength to get the ball most certainly was allowed and hardly anyone got sent off for foul play, certainly nowhere near the levels that we see today. Strikers and wingers got the absolute shit kicked out of them repeatedly and the offenders got away with it. Also, players used to be allowed to shoulder charge 'keepers when they had the ball in their hand (Nat Lofthouse dislocated Harry Gregg's, Man Utd's goalie, shoulder twice in two seasons). The late fifties and sixties was probably the roughest era of all.

Over the years, the laws of the game have been subtly altered such that skillful players are more protected by refs and thugs can no longer prosper - well that's the idea anyhow, talentless thugs like Essien still manage to find a niche in contemporary puntsphere.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Peerzy, what the fuck are you talking about

Either you're rodding or that's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read

Back in the day defenders were allowed to tackle two footed from behind, slide tackling/using body strength to get the ball most certainly was allowed and hardly anyone got sent off for foul play, certainly nowhere near the levels that we see today. Strikers and wingers got the absolute shit kicked out of them repeatedly and the offenders got away with it. Also, players used to be allowed to shoulder charge 'keepers when they had the ball in their hand (Nat Lofthouse dislocated Harry Gregg's, Man Utd's goalie, shoulder twice in two seasons). The late fifties and sixties was probably the roughest era of all.

Over the years, the laws of the game have been subtly altered such that skillful players are more protected by refs and thugs can no longer prosper - well that's the idea anyhow, talentless thugs like Essien still manage to find a niche in contemporary puntsphere.

Im not rodding, although i should really say i am just to keep my credability n all

Seriously from all the clips i've seen of Best/Pele stuff they have litterally been able to run rings arround static defenders who woulnd't dare do a diving tackle.

Essien is misunderstood. Mind you im sure you of all people remember this Manker.

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...B041D87SXZQ13Y
    Last edited by Peerzy; 01-02-2006 at 04:02 PM.

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Today's skill levels, fitnesss levels and tactical awareness are better than they ever were. Fact. To say nothing of sports science, physiotherspy, psychology etc.

Today's greatest player is the greatest ever. That's Ronaldinho, the majority of those and such as those in the game agree with me.

Everyone else is wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast