Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Footballer Ever

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Today's skill levels, fitnesss levels and tactical awareness are better than they ever were. Fact. To say nothing of sports science, physiotherspy, psychology etc.

Today's greatest player is the greatest ever. That's Ronaldinho, the majority of those and such as those in the game agree with me.

Everyone else is wrong.
    Yeah, there is that argument.

If you look at it that way, today's professionals have a distinct advantage because they've been exposed to the better coaching and conditioning. Pele didn't have that advantage but then you can also counter and say that neither did the midfielders and defenders which opposed him.

As I said earlier, I don't think Ronaldinho is the best player in the world. He's the best at what he does and certainly the most skillful but skill is only one component in a footballer. I would say that that dirty fouling scouse bastard, Gerrard, is a better all round player. So is Lampard.

I'd much prefer a player like Keane, at his peak, to be in my team than Ronaldinho. As such, I'd say that he is a better exponant of the footballing art.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Sports Club   -   #22
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Peerzy, what the fuck are you talking about

Either you're rodding or that's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read

Back in the day defenders were allowed to tackle two footed from behind, slide tackling/using body strength to get the ball most certainly was allowed and hardly anyone got sent off for foul play, certainly nowhere near the levels that we see today. Strikers and wingers got the absolute shit kicked out of them repeatedly and the offenders got away with it. Also, players used to be allowed to shoulder charge 'keepers when they had the ball in their hand (Nat Lofthouse dislocated Harry Gregg's, Man Utd's goalie, shoulder twice in two seasons). The late fifties and sixties was probably the roughest era of all.

Over the years, the laws of the game have been subtly altered such that skillful players are more protected by refs and thugs can no longer prosper - well that's the idea anyhow, talentless thugs like Essien still manage to find a niche in contemporary puntsphere.

Im not rodding, although i should really say i am just to keep my credability n all

Seriously from all the clips i've seen of Best/Pele stuff they have litterally been able to run rings arround static defenders who woulnd't dare do a diving tackle.

Essien is misunderstood. Mind you im sure you of all people remember this Manker.

Uploading the clip now.
    Just rodding about Essien, cracking player - but he is a dirty fouling git from Ghana
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #23
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Today's skill levels, fitnesss levels and tactical awareness are better than they ever were. Fact. To say nothing of sports science, physiotherspy, psychology etc.

Today's greatest player is the greatest ever. That's Ronaldinho, the majority of those and such as those in the game agree with me.

Everyone else is wrong.
    Yeah, there is that argument.

If you look at it that way, today's professionals have a distinct advantage because they've been exposed to the better coaching and conditioning. Pele didn't have that advantage but then you can also counter and say that neither did the midfielders and defenders which opposed him.

Indeed they were not as good as the ones Ronaldinho faces

As I said earlier, I don't think Ronaldinho is the best player in the world. He's the best at what he does and certainly the most skillful but skill is only one component in a footballer. I would say that that dirty fouling scouse bastard, Gerrard, is a better all round player. So is Lampard.

Didn't they ask you prior to awarding him the Player of the year, either time.

I'd much prefer a player like Keane, at his peak, to be in my team than Ronaldinho. As such, I'd say that he is a better exponant of the footballing art.

I'd rather have both, perhaps he is a Hoops fan
    What of this Pele chap, I take it he wasn't great just because of his skill, he had these other attributes that Ronaldinho lacks.

4. Sports Club   -   #24
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster

Everyone else is wrong.
    Nope, that's a load of rubbish, Ronaldinho would've had the crap kicked out of him in the 60's, Best would still be the greatest if he'd played now.

5. Sports Club   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy

Im not rodding, although i should really say i am just to keep my credability n all

Seriously from all the clips i've seen of Best/Pele stuff they have litterally been able to run rings arround static defenders who woulnd't dare do a diving tackle.

Essien is misunderstood. Mind you im sure you of all people remember this Manker.

Uploading the clip now.
    Just rodding about Essien, cracking player - but he is a dirty fouling git from Ghana

Personally from what i've seen this season i would still rather play Eider Gudjohnsen than Essien. Gudjohnsen adds so much in way of linking attack and midfield and his range of passing is only just bettered by that of Rooneys. I heard so much of Essien's box to box runs and long range screamers but so far all i've seen is him playing quite games and making tackles Mackelele style.

6. Sports Club   -   #26
    It was in July 1986, in the 10th minute of the Worldcupquarterfinal Argentina vs England. 5 Minutes after scoring the famous "Hand of God"-Goal the same argentinian player gets the ball and the following 13 second are the biggest humiliation a english Team ever faced in its whole history. The young Maradona passes 5 English players + the goalkeeper an scores the most wonderfull goal in Worldcup history.
    He is the one and only star of Mexico 86, won the worldcup nearly on his own, won the italian championship twice and the Uefa Cup while playing for Naples which is like winnig the premier Leage with a Backmarker Team being the only star.
    There have been many stars in footbalhistory but no one is worthy to be compared with Diego Armando Maradona!

7. Sports Club   -   #27
    DorisInsinuate's Avatar Four Star Cynic
    A simple "MARADONA!" announced with tourette's-like glee would have sufficed there.

I think I just referenced a post from somewhere aswell as an album's sleeve notes
    It's hot in Topeka.

8. Sports Club   -   #28
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Ronaldinho, no contest really.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

9. Sports Club   -   #29