Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are You Serious To Send Me This Email!

There is no doubt that our rights as individuals have been eroded since 9/11 in ways that attorneys, and informed citizens, never dreamed possible. The two most recently proposed copyright Acts wouldn't have had a chance of a serious second look without the current climate. At the same time, it's important to remember that some measures considered standard in most other democracies - for example, a national identity card - are still a political impossibility here.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@26 April 2003 - 17:36
    At the same time, it's important to remember that some measures considered standard in most other democracies - for example, a national identity card - are still a political impossibility here.
    Do you doubt that one more high profile terrorist attack in this country will render your statement untrue?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    No, I don't doubt it at all. It will be accomplished through nationalizing our driver's licenses.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Poster
    At the same time, it's important to remember that some measures considered standard in most other democracies - for example, a national identity card - are still a political impossibility here.
    A national ID card is not necessary. The equivalent can easily be achieved through the integration of databases and co-operation whether at a formal or informal level between agencies, State, local, Federal, and even international.

Especially in an atmosphere where the Executive allows Agencies a more than usual degree of latitude to invade a person's legitimate right to provicy.

I would bet that most people wouldn't even have a clue what 'information' exists on databases that touches upon or concerns them. By the time a person becomes aware that there is a virtual dossier of 'information' that has been generated over time, it is much more difficult to displace.

Agencies have been using the current political climate and their extra powers for collateral purposes. To maintain that this is not the case, is to be in a state of denial.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Driver's license? DRIVER'S LICENSE?!

I don't NEED no stinkin' drivers license!!

or something like that...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    A national ID may not be needed, but it's very handy. It gives one unique number to tie all those databases back to and, especially needed in the present climate - a photo - possibly a very detailed digitally sophisticated one. I know you are in Oz and your significant other is American, but you may not realize exactly what the climate here has become. Clocker - the equivalent of a driver's license - a pic ID - will be required. It already is, just to cash a check.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    I realise this and I realise there is a move towards trying to use biometrics to get retina scans and fingerprints etc. They have tried it before but it obviously isn't going to happen overnight and I don't know how foolproof it is. Besides would the trade off in privacy be possible.

The issue of DNA databases is a big one here at the moment because of the propensity for them to be misused.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    DNA is also huge here. We are moving towards involuntary testing all of convicted miscreants, regardless of the offense. The Commonwealth of Virginia is the leader, having started before any of the other 49 in mass collection. I think the national IDs will combine technologies presently available plus some still in development. I bemuses me to remember that, visiting Europe for the first time thirty some-odd years ago, I resented filling out hotel forms which made me detail from where I had traveled and what my destination was to be.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Poster
    I guess some convicted criminals and other assorted miscreants who were framed with the best of the state of the art technology by a combination of bad forensics and/or corruption might have felt a little inconvenienced too.

It has been known to happen.

There is also a big debate over how DNA information might be used by insurance companies and other 'stakeholders' to deny persons with predispositions to certain things (eg cancer etc) insurance despite the fact that the gene might be able to be established to be recessive and they are not likely to acquire it. This and other consequences of DNA databases have been thrown up for debate that touch on the legitimate rights and expectations of citizens.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Poster
    I guess some convicted criminals and other assorted miscreants who were framed with the best of the state of the art technology by a combination of bad forensics and/or corruption might have felt a little inconvenienced too.

It has been known to happen.

There is also a big debate over how DNA information might be used by insurance companies and other 'stakeholders' to deny persons with predispositions to certain things (eg cancer etc) insurance despite the fact that the gene might be able to be established to be recessive and they are not likely to acquire it. This and other consequences of DNA databases have been thrown up for debate that touch on the legitimate rights and expectations of citizens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast