Thread: So...who's the best guitarist?

lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Tasteful?

Pleasant?

Okay...
    Lawl.

Solo's aside, I find Kirk Hammett and (especially) James Hetfields performances in Fade To Black the most impressive work I've yet to encounter. That main acoustic (and the electric riff[s] for the chorus) part for the verses is just absolutely beautiful. Doesn't make them the best guitarist(s) per say, but none the less inspirational.
    people like to take shots at hammet because he seems to only solo in one key (e minor if memory isn't playing me). holds some truth i guess. he's very accomplished nontheless.

2. Music   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    Lawl.

Solo's aside, I find Kirk Hammett and (especially) James Hetfields performances in Fade To Black the most impressive work I've yet to encounter. That main acoustic (and the electric riff[s] for the chorus) part for the verses is just absolutely beautiful. Doesn't make them the best guitarist(s) per say, but none the less inspirational.
    people like to take shots at hammet because he seems to only solo in one key (e minor if memory isn't playing me). holds some truth i guess. he's very accomplished nontheless.
    True enough, but I don't wonder at that, as everybody and their brother has a guitar and seeks to emulate whichever hero strikes them.

We haven't any shortage of prospects.

As Clocker notes, apart from singular performances (everybody has one), the ones who set themselves apart do it ALL THE TIME.

Call the others 'tweeners'.

Speaking of that upper-second-echelon group, I nominate Joe Perry and Alex Lifeson.

Lifeson has a catalogue of riffs to be proud of, and Perry is as much responsible for Aerosmith as Steve Tyler.

I still think his work on Train Kept a Rollin" is absolutely sterling.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Music   -   #33
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I agree but why not go the source?
    Jeff Beck's original Going Down is a veritable catalogue of riffs,techniques and adrenilin for the aspiring beginner.

While I'm at it I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up Roy Buchanan.
    The Messiah Will Come Again is pure longing trapped on vinyl.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Music   -   #34
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i'm always reluctant to start naming classic rock guitarists because that becomes a loooong, slippery slope of mandatory name dropping.

alex lifeson; did you ever hear about that fight him and his son got into? i think it was in florida over new years.

5. Music   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I agree but why not go the source?
    Jeff Beck's original Going Down is a veritable catalogue of riffs,techniques and adrenilin for the aspiring beginner.

While I'm at it I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up Roy Buchanan.
    The Messiah Will Come Again is pure longing trapped on vinyl.
    Right again.

People forget Buchanan.

Even worse that they forget Beck.

Lee551-

Us old farts drop names 'cuz we can't hold onto them anymore.

Yes, I heard about the fight.

Sounded like a true clusterfuck; I don't know that it is resolved even yet.

I gather there was an overzealous young cop involved...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Music   -   #36
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    i'm always reluctant to start naming classic rock guitarists because that becomes a loooong, slippery slope of mandatory name dropping.
    Us old farts drop names 'cuz we can't hold onto them anymore.
    There is also the "been there, heard that" syndrome in play.

Unless you were there (and I know most of you weren't), it's impossible to describe the first time you heard Hendrix's Foxey Lady or Page's Whole Lotta Love or even Knopfler's Sultans of Swing- nothing you'd ever heard before sounded like them.
    There have been great practicioners of the art since them of course, but very few elicit the "Holy shit!" response as you realize that you've just stepped over the edge and risen to a whole new plane.

I also think it's worth noting "great bands" rarely feature a "great guitarist"*.
    After all, the Beatles featured two completely mediocre players (who really wants to emulate Gearge Harrison?), yet they are without doubt a great band. The Rolling Stones only had a good guitarist during the brief period that Mick Taylor was a member- (Get Your Ya-Yas Out shows that they absolutely could be the "Greatest Band in the World" live on stage).

*Clearly, there are exceptions- Led Zepellin and Pink Floyd spring easily to mind.

And, as long as I'm rambling...I think it's odd that Clapton is rarely mentioned in recurring threads like this- even by me.
    Popularly reckoned to be a master, I consider him to be more of a workman than a pioneer. Just goes to show I guess that simply hanging in there is it's own reward.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Music   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    And, as long as I'm rambling...I think it's odd that Clapton is rarely mentioned in recurring threads like this- even by me.
    Popularly reckoned to be a master, I consider him to be more of a workman than a pioneer. Just goes to show I guess that simply hanging in there is it's own reward.
    If memory serves, I think he made an album not too long ago called Journeyman.

Apt that he chose that particular descriptive, huh?

-Mark Twain

8. Music   -   #38
    SRV fo sho

9. Music   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by bosko1978
    SRV fo sho
    Fo sho 'nuff.

I miss him.

-Mark Twain

10. Music   -   #40
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Guitarists who have inspired me, in no particular order, include Mark Knopfler, Joe Satriani, Gary Moore, Eric Johnson, Dave Gilmour, Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.

They've all got their own individual styles and flair, but of them all, I would have to choose Mark Knopfler as my favourite.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast