Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you get paid an hour?

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Well, what's wring with treating this forum as a part of your life?
    Because it's the internet it's less sincere?

there's people on here I've never met, but I have been talking to them and reading their replies for years. JP, J2k4, Bo, etc etc

Is there is such a thing as internet pals, then those are the people that are my 'internet pals'
    Of course I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, just like you would give your real friends the benefit of the doubt if some stranger walked into your local and brought up a subject that maybe wasw a bit touchy feely for some people.

Post count means nothing, however, the length of time you've known someone for does.
    Take Petri for example. Got barely 500 posts or sth but I've been talking to the guy for years.

As said before. This is the lounge
    If you're looking for a straight answer to a serious question then this is the wrong place.
    This place has been drivel since the first day I joined and that's why most people like it here.
    Simple. Nothing more, nothing less
    Real life pals > internet pals. (hippychick has been rather cool though)

Fact.

On here, I have no "allegiance" to anyone just because we may have talked cordially in the past on the internet and won't come to this so-called internet aid cos they disagree with someone else less known. People have their own prejudices based on where you are from, race, etc. One person says something and it's handled with kid gloves cos of allegiance. Another says it and there's an uproar.

It's rather fake....

Me and j2 are American yet I don't pull punches simply cos of that. We agree on some things and on others I'll say he is wrong as hellfuck.

Me and vidcc are American and share some liberal ideals but again I don't pull punches either.

I agree with your last, however. It has a little more drivel than I remember though.

2. Lounge   -   #122
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Well, what's wring with treating this forum as a part of your life?
    Because it's the internet it's less sincere?

there's people on here I've never met, but I have been talking to them and reading their replies for years. JP, J2k4, Bo, etc etc

Is there is such a thing as internet pals, then those are the people that are my 'internet pals'
    Of course I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, just like you would give your real friends the benefit of the doubt if some stranger walked into your local and brought up a subject that maybe wasw a bit touchy feely for some people.

Post count means nothing, however, the length of time you've known someone for does.
    Take Petri for example. Got barely 500 posts or sth but I've been talking to the guy for years.

As said before. This is the lounge
    If you're looking for a straight answer to a serious question then this is the wrong place.
    This place has been drivel since the first day I joined and that's why most people like it here.
    Simple. Nothing more, nothing less
    Real life pals > internet pals. (hippychick has been rather cool though)

Fact.

On here, I have no "allegiance" to anyone just because we may have talked cordially in the past on the internet and won't come to this so-called internet aid cos they disagree with someone else less known. People have their own prejudices based on where you are from, race, etc. One person says something and it's handled with kid gloves cos of allegiance. Another says it and there's an uproar.

It's rather fake....

Me and j2 are American yet I don't pull punches simply cos of that. We agree on some things and on others I'll say he is wrong as hellfuck.

Me and vidcc are American and share some liberal ideals but again I don't pull punches either.

You really are a big silly.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

3. Lounge   -   #123
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
    I don't think it's a crass question at all,simple curiosity is all.
    As I don't work I can't answer,but when I did I was on about 7 quid an hour which was pretty good for factory work back then.
    You know you fucked up, right.

I'm renting a flat in your name.

4. Lounge   -   #124
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    How would you really know where someone is from?

As far as i know you're a fat Samoan wrestler with 6 wives who lives in a straw hut. It wouldn't make me enjoy our 'arguments' any less.

There's come cliques on here I suppose... but it's the same in real life too. you hang out with people you have something in common with rather than with those you disagree with.

Maybe you have to earn some 'cred' before you can bring up certain subjects. But then again; would you rather tell your best mate about the problems you have or would you rather tell a complete stranger about it?

It's a matter of perception

5. Lounge   -   #125
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Most people on here are quite like real life pals,sometimes you agree with them others you don't.
    Some come on here just to stir the shit,others to be amused,I like it here and am considering moving in.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

6. Lounge   -   #126
    We can share a flat. The rates are too high to afford one on my own

7. Lounge   -   #127
    We'll have to ask Rossco how much he's charging?

8. Lounge   -   #128
    Better not be too expensive. We were here long before him after all which means we're superior

9. Lounge   -   #129
    Won't matter 'cause the social pays the rent anyhoo.

10. Lounge   -   #130
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by coppercox View Post
    Jpaul's explanation makes sense.

I had the naive belief that the internet was where someone could come and ask questions just about anything, especially topics that are considered crass, rude, or taboo to ask in person. I will not meet any of you in person, hence, I do not get embarrassed asking such questions. But I see this is not the case in this forum where many of the posters have taken affront to my direct and blunt (tell it like it is, not beating around the bush) question.

I'll assume that since you used the words "naive belief" you will refrain from taking offense if I affirm that for you.

You may have abundant experience in internet forae, but you are new here, and a large part of the reason some of us came here and stayed is the protocol we have created, and to which we all strive to adhere.

It is not at all coercive, but it exists, nonetheless.

We accept each other as we are, and for the most part, we get what we give.

If you've begun by seeking to pigeonhole yourself and others, you have chosen well.

No, not young, I'm 38...and once again I posed the question just as I would - direct and to the point. The question is clear and understood without question (except for the poster who postulated another meaning: that I was "bragging" about what I made!!! lol...is that something to brag about???? $30 an hour???!!!! maybe my home valued at 129,000 is something to brag about!!! wow....)

Again, the point is not that you've chosen this as your topic, but that you've begun your tenure (such as it is, or might be) with it.

You've opted to "introduce" yourself with a question which is generally looked upon as the bastard third of the "religion, politics and paychecks" caution some of us got as we grew up.

The first two have been the subjects of some genuine throw-down action on this board, but I'd guess the other has been much less discussed for precisely the reason I've mentioned.

Wages, as a subject, are certainly not taboo here, it is simply that you have chosen a comprehensive discourse on same by way of introduction that indicates what type of person you may be, and what type of member you might make.

After all, we spend our lives judging, do we not?

What have I learned from posing such a question:

1. The people with thousands of posts seem to have the most difficulty answering the original thread. Such responses as: "i don't get paid hourly so i don't know" or "none of your fucking business!" beats around the bush.......and yeah, it isn't any business of mine so why would you even comment? goto another thread where you can discuss what is everyone's fucking business....

I have thousands of posts.

I have not minced around the subject in order to weasel out of answering, nor have I told you that it is "none of your fucking business!"

But, interestingly enough, I am quite sure I have not beaten around any bushes, either.

We comment because we are free to comment.

Any difficulties ingesting the fact are your own.

2. There are more reserved people in this forum than I expected. Many of these people have allegiances to each other so if I offend one the others come running to "comment-me-to-death"...they still didn't answer the question though.........

There is remarkably little of what you term "reserve" here, and the fact you use that word indicates your misapprehension.

What you are perceiving is convention.

Likewise, what you see as "allegiances" (which indeed exist) are nothing of the sort; we are human, and tend to gather around curiousities to comment or lurk as is our wont.

3. Post counts on forums are considered status symbols...so someone with thousands of posts appears to have a "respectable" status while a Noob (like me) with 50 posts is young and immature. Well, in real life someone that talks a lot usually isn't well respected since they seem to comment about everything....just for the sake of talking. I could easily spend a weekend commenting in every post "what a crass question" or something like that and end up in the hundreds of posts.....some people post just to make themselves feel some worth in these forums...

No getting around that one, I guess, though I would lean more toward the status of genuinely respectable, rather than "status symbol"; I'm sure you can appreciate the difference in connotation.

We generally equate a member's worth with the contribution he or she makes here.

On a personal note, may I say how gratified I am that you have chosen not to indulge any inclination you may have felt to ...spend a weekend commenting in every post "what a crass question" or something like that and end up in the hundreds of posts...

That would not be any way to introduce yourself.

4. I am enjoying this tremendously! What started off as a curious question has mushroomed into something more. Thank you!
    That you enjoy yourself here is our paramount concern; after all, it is what we wish for ourselves, and I can assure you that we subscribe to the idea of "the more, the merrier".

I think I can overlook this thread (it hasn't been unentertaining, you see) in order to welcome you here, and express my hopes that you find us as hospitable as we would hope to find you.
    Last edited by j2k4; 08-27-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast