Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain mice?

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    The bigger dpi, or fps the more sensitive (dpi, ips, fps and ultrapolling all have to do with how many signals reach the computer from the mouse for each movement and second. Suffice it to say that they mean that the mouse is very sensitive, and accurate. Or at least that the manufacturer thinks it is.), and accurate the mouse.

Obviously, this isn't something everyone likes, as it means it'll sense the slightest movement. At a dpi of 2000 I only have to move the mouse a couple of inches to drag the pointer across the entire screen, diagonally.

What the "better" mouses do, is give you the choice of using that sort of sensitivity, but you don't have to use it. It's useful tho', 'cos it also gives you more precision. The mouse can "feel" your movements better, so to speak.

You could say that the lower the sensitivity, the fewer steps the mouse, or the laser in the mouse, takes over the surface. Like a person leaping forward, rather than inching forward.

The person inching forward will be able to turn the second he or she wants, whereas the person leaping forward will have to turn at a point when their feet hit the ground.

As rossco mentioned, mouses with on-the-fly sensitivity even allow you to adjust it whenever you want, even when in a game.

As for firmware in a mouse...it doesn't eliminate the need for drivers.

Think of it more like a BIOS, you still need drivers for your mobo (windows usually has some default ones, tho').

Having flashable firmware means that the inner workings on the mouse can be improved, say if they discover a hardware incompatibility, or find a better way to control the laser, for instance.

Look at the changelog for the latest drivers and firmware here, the cold boot issue they are referring to would be a change in the firmware (no drivers loaded before the OS).
    Last edited by Snee; 10-21-2006 at 09:58 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    thx.

on a mouse that has, again let's say 2000dpi, does it ALWAYS work on 2000dpi or u can change it to that, or up to that, or maybe even turn that off? my mouse has an acceleration and sensitivity scale. i can turn that on a little bit, a whole lot, or even off. even then i can have those turned on in windows, but there is also an option to have it automatically turn off/disable in games and i can adjust it separately in games.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    All mice have a dpi, used to be the norm was around 400 dpi, now I think it's at least twice that.

2000dpi would be the max setting, you'll be able to set that to a desired level.
    The copperhead and the boomslang allow you to adjust the sensitivity on a scale from one to ten, one being the lowest, and 10 being using the full 2000 dpi (2100 on my boomslang) to the limit.

In addition you can save different profiles in the mouse's onboard memory, with different button- and sensitivity settings.

And the sensitivity can be changed from inside a game, by pressing a button and using the scroll wheel at the same time.

Last edited by Snee; 10-21-2006 at 10:33 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post

please don't tell me this is real
    I have not met one architect (wife is an archi) which uses this and they are serious precision bastards. Any one who uses "snny's mouse needs a vacation.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Oh, they are real, all right.

I think there's an edition of the Krait made to look especially professional, as well. In case your lady wants one.

This is what she wants if she spends a whole lot of time using it for work, tho'.

Used to own one, and they are great for preserving the wrists.

More razer stuff

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It's the same wiht my G7 snny:
    dpiadjustment.JPG

edit: I dont have polling rate, what's that?
    Other than that I have all the same options as you but in different places.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    maybe i'll just buy a razer just to experiment!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    The speed in which the mouse communicates with the usb controller.

From Razer's site.

Seems to me that a poll-rate of 1000hz is something like overclocking your usb-controller

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    The speed in which the mouse communicates with the usb controller.

From Razer's site.

Seems to me that a poll-rate of 1000hz is something like overclocking your usb-controller
    ah, according to logitech mine is 500 reports per second (500hz).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    i've got Logitech MX518, a good mouse is really another feeling
    and yes i do use DPI on the fly chaning buttons, it's very handy not only in games but in photoshop too

by the way if you set your mouse to, say 2000dpi this doesn't mean that the pointer speed is the fastest

you can control the pointer speed in windows, so the pointer speed will be the desired speed, but the precision will be better than 800 dpi mouse

you choose the highest dpi setting on mouse, adjust the pointer speed in your OS to the one you like and will use most
    then you can use dpi changing button - if it will lower the dpi the pointer speed will get slower

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast