Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nancy Pelosi began her reign...

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Jack Murtha has been tagged by several watchdog groups as "one of the most corrupt members of Congress, ever."

This is of course the Democrats' response to a "culture of corruption" - a chance to get in on the corruption and really show the world how it should be done!

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Then there's this:

The Washington Times

The real Jack Murtha Published June 21, 2006

Rep. John Murtha is thinking big thoughts. Since coming out for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq last year, he has accused Marines of murder "in cold blood" before a preliminary investigation is even complete; accused the military of a cover up over the same incident; declared his candidacy for the House majority leadership post; and, most recently, refined his cut-and-run strategy in Iraq to mean "redeployment" to Okinawa, Japan.

That's quite a splash for such a veteran congressman, who a year ago had zero name recognition outside Washington. That he's made a name for himself now by slandering our troops and their mission deserves a brief recital of some other activities associated with Mr. Murtha.
    I had to stop reading this bias right wing opinion (it's not a report it's an opinion)
    Murtha didn't accuse the marines of murder in cold blood, he reported that there is an investigation into it and later, after it was confirmed, that the evidence is not very favorable to the accused (he had inside information). Has anything he said been untrue? Also he wasn't blaming the troops, he was blaming the war policies of this administration for putting the troops into positions where that could happen.
    And any op-ed that uses talking points like "cut and run" and basically accuses anyone of hating the troops (isn't the human shield what coulter accuses liberals of using?)if they disagree with the president is worthless.
    Why didn't you address the rest of the column; the parts about his "patronage"?

"Bias right-wing opinion"?

As opposed to the lefty stuff in the NYT and the Washington Post?

The reportage about the issue of his patronage isn't opinion, it is fact.

You've ignored that, however.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

Why didn't you address the rest of the column; the parts about his "patronage"?

"Bias right-wing opinion"?

As opposed to the lefty stuff in the NYT and the Washington Post?

The reportage about the issue of his patronage isn't opinion, it is fact.

You've ignored that, however.
    you have the answer in the first paragraph and my response. I even explained why I stopped reading.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Jack Murtha has been tagged by several watchdog groups as "one of the most corrupt members of Congress, ever."

This is of course the Democrats' response to a "culture of corruption" - a chance to get in on the corruption and really show the world how it should be done!
    oh...has he been voted in at the time you posted then?

I see trent "america was better off with segregation" is back for the repubs.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-15-2006 at 09:39 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Last June, the Los Angeles Times reported how the ranking member on the defense appropriations subcommittee has a brother, Robert Murtha, whose lobbying firm represents 10 companies that received more than $20 million from last year's defense spending bill. "Clients of the lobbying firm KSA Consulting -- whose top officials also include former congressional aide Carmen V. Scialabba, who worked for Rep. Murtha as a congressional aide for 27 years -- received a total of $20.8 million from the bill," the L.A. Times reported.
    All of this may be "facts" but it proves what exactly?

Were there any "no-bid" contracts? Was there any ethics investigation? did congress award this or murtha alone? was murtha convicted of any wrong doing. does murtha's position make it illegal for any friends or family to put in bids? were contracts awarded competitively.

In early 2004, according to Roll Call, Mr. Murtha "reportedly leaned on U.S. Navy officials to sign a contract to transfer the Hunters Point Shipyard to the city of San Francisco." Laurence Pelosi, nephew of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, at the time was an executive of the company which owned the rights to the land. The same article also reported how Mr. Murtha has been behind millions of dollars worth of earmarks in defense appropriations bills that went to companies owned by the children of fellow Pennsylvania Democrat, Rep. Paul Kanjorski. Meanwhile, the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan campaign-finance watchdog group, lists Mr. Murtha as the top recipient of defense industry dollars in the current 2006 election cycle.
    "reportedly leaned on U.S. Navy officials oh yes this is fact
    As Rep. Joe Wilson, South Carolina Republican, has said, "If there is a potential pattern where Congressman Murtha has helped other Democrats secure appropriations that also benefited relatives of those members, I believe this would be something that merits further review by the ethics committee."
    the opinion of rep.wilson that an investigation is warranted "If there is a potential pattern" is not evidence of wrongdoing, it is just a handy quote in a bias anti murtha op-ed.
    However if one is held, and I would welcome that oversight, and murtha is found to be guilty then I will gladly condemn him.
    It's odd that the media, which has been fairly unbiased in going after corrupt politicians recently, has gone silent on Mr. Murtha's questionable actions. Or maybe it isn't. Since December, Mr. Murtha has become the darling of the antiwar crowd, and, as we've seen with other such darlings, scrutinizing their behavior is considered disrespectful. But as we're on the subject, few might recall that after the massive 1980 Abscam scandal, Mr. Murtha was named by the FBI as an "unindicted co-conspirator."
    fact or conspiracy theory
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-15-2006 at 10:22 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Regretful, that.

Recycled goods.

All of this may be "facts" but it proves what exactly?

Were there any "no-bid" contracts? Was there any ethics investigation? did congress award this or murtha alone? was murtha convicted of any wrong doing. does murtha's position make it illegal for any friends or family to put in bids? were contracts awarded competitivel

In early 2004, according to Roll Call, Mr. Murtha "reportedly leaned on U.S. Navy officials to sign a contract to transfer the Hunters Point Shipyard to the city of San Francisco." Laurence Pelosi, nephew of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, at the time was an executive of the company which owned the rights to the land. The same article also reported how Mr. Murtha has been behind millions of dollars worth of earmarks in defense appropriations bills that went to companies owned by the children of fellow Pennsylvania Democrat, Rep. Paul Kanjorski. Meanwhile, the Center for Responsive Politics, a nonpartisan campaign-finance watchdog group, lists Mr. Murtha as the top recipient of defense industry dollars in the current 2006 election cycle.
    "reportedly leaned on U.S. Navy officials oh yes this is fact
    As Rep. Joe Wilson, South Carolina Republican, has said, "If there is a potential pattern where Congressman Murtha has helped other Democrats secure appropriations that also benefited relatives of those members, I believe this would be something that merits further review by the ethics committee."
    the opinion of rep.wilson that an investigation is warranted "If there is a potential pattern" is not evidence of wrongdoing, it is just a handy quote in a bias anti murtha op-ed.
    However if one is held, and I would welcome that oversight, and murtha is found to be guilty then I will gladly condemn him.
    It's odd that the media, which has been fairly unbiased in going after corrupt politicians recently, has gone silent on Mr. Murtha's questionable actions. Or maybe it isn't. Since December, Mr. Murtha has become the darling of the antiwar crowd, and, as we've seen with other such darlings, scrutinizing their behavior is considered disrespectful. But as we're on the subject, few might recall that after the massive 1980 Abscam scandal, Mr. Murtha was named by the FBI as an "unindicted co-conspirator."
    fact or conspiracy theory
    Say what you want, but Ms. Pelosi proposes to elevate Murtha from a fringe player to the spotlight of leadership while she touts her unerring eye and aim for "honest, open and accountable government".

Your defense of Murtha indicates you think she's already doing a fine job, or at least that Democrat corruption is somehow less malignant than the Republican type.

I'll be satisfied to watch and comment.

EDIT:

I almost forgot to mention-

It did my heart great good to hear Murtha whine that he is being "swift-boated".......by his fellow Democrats.
    Last edited by j2k4; 11-15-2006 at 11:35 PM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

The Republican party is strong in the south.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18

Say what you want, but Ms. Pelosi proposes to elevate Murtha from a fringe player to the spotlight of leadership while she touts her unerring eye and aim for "honest, open and accountable government".
    Could it be that the democratic party won partly on their agenda of a new course in Iraq? and who has been the most vocal and credible in that?

Your defense of Murtha indicates you think she's already doing a fine job, or at least that Democrat corruption is somehow less malignant than the Republican type.
    I've made no comment on pelosi, she hasn't started yet.
    I am under no delusions about any public servant being an angel, I simply responded to your "facts" and how they were interpreted to suit that bias op-ed.
    Since murtha chose to speak up about the mis-management of Iraq there has been such frenzied efforts on the right to smear him that any little tidbit that can be twisted has been used. Oddly enough very little in response to what he actually says about Iraq. Almost every single person could be smeared by conspiracy theories.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

The Republican party is strong in the south.
    If either of you thinks this past election signals a re-emergence of any sort of liberal "ideal", you are sadly mistaken.

You will see this in good time.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Since murtha chose to speak up about the mis-management of Iraq there has been such frenzied efforts on the right to smear him...

frenzied efforts on the right to smear him...?

Oh, that's rich.

In any case, at the moment he seems preoccupied with the attacks originating on the left.

That's your side, I believe...

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast