Thread: Disney To Begin Renting 'self-destructing' Dvds

Got_brains?'s Avatar Poster
    I think its pretty cool! :flame:

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    Poster
    Is it bio-degradable?

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    I don't think this will catch on.

1. I'm sure the rental stores make plenty of $$$ from late fees so this will dip into their profits.

2. If they're gonna raise the price of only a 2 day rental people are only going to rent the returnable version except for a few people who consistantly return their movies late.

3. I can't see these being very cost effective for Disney or the other companies unless they jack up the price (which they probably are) and the rental stores won't like that either.

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    They'll only loose a ton of money from this. Making a DVD that can only be used once. That is the stupidest use of capital I have ever heard. Any copier will copy a DVD in te first hours rented, this will only raise costs of rentals. Why doesn't the Aviation industry make airplanes that self destruct after 48 hours? That way the leasees won't have to worry about returning them before their lease expires.

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    Aussie1
    Thanks for the Info

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Poster
    If its a popular movie being rented ie The Lion King. wont Disney have to send out s*%tloads of these DVDs to each store!?
    Just for the record i hated the lion king.
    My sig has been pwnd by some h4x0r!

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    Lord of the KLF
    Originally posted by six@18 May 2003 - 23:35
    Is it bio-degradable?
    it had better be imagine if this become the norm the world would be full of useless dvds that cannot be reused thats a serious ecological worry and we do after all live in a world that is already on the brink of ecological disaster and the idiots decide to bring something like this out

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    Poster
    sickening...

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    Originally posted by SolidWing68@21 May 2003 - 04:18
    sickening...
    agreed. it's ridiculous and environmentally irresponsible. if i were the gambling type, i would bet that this scheme never actually reaches store shelves because someone in the company will realize that it's an idiotic plan. and it sounds a lot like circuit city's ill-conceived DIVX (the pay-per-view DVD, not the mpeg-4 that we all know and love).

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    what if i buy one of those air tight food saver things? or could i just stick the dvd under water. too keep it from dying, that is so retarded though. disney sucks and always will.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast