Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rap On The Way Out?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    On its way out? No. Should it be? Prob. not, as long as there is a demand it'll stay. And like people have said in this thread, as long as there are clubs and parties you're gonna have rap playing (give me metal anyday).

Doesnt affect me since I don't really care, I listen to anything, mostly metal, but anything nonetheless

edit: as for a genre that should become popular? DEFINITELY NOT METAL, if that ever became popular, us real metalheads are fucked, i dont want metal to ever become a fad, its my way of life lol

one genre i wouldn't mind coming back however is jazz (no, i did not just call jazz a fad), jazz is smooth as a mofo

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Music   -   #12
    I think that people like kool keith and dead prez should get more attention. rap for the most part is boring, but some musicians actually have talent and write amazing lyrics. Watch block party for some good rap.

mostly tho i listen to old indie like Archers of Loaf, and true indie was never really "in" so i guess it cant really go "out"

3. Music   -   #13
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Raps just getting good. The whole dirty south movement is pretty crappy..but NY and Chicago is coming back..along with real talent.

4. Music   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Raps just getting good. The whole dirty south movement is pretty crappy..but NY and Chicago is coming back..along with real talent.
    That's definitely a regional opinion. I'm in Texas and that's all that rap fans listen to down here is H-town and NO rap styles.

yo

5. Music   -   #15
    thegman24's Avatar 100% American BadA$$ BT Rep: +2
    Before mass-culture started categorizing youth culture and current fashion trends in the minority community; rap or hip hop, was another way a young man or woman with no future could express themselves; and have a little fun and not get f'ing shot at the same time.

But just like punk, and metal, and R&B, lame (mostly white) hipsters and businessmen just had to take message out of the friggin' bottle.

Now the message is (owww yeah!! I'm bling bling, look at my rims, I'm rolling in b*tches and money!!)

Yeah, I would say certain rappers have sold out there culture, or at least the ones who promote the current group of cultural and stylist trends. (artists like The Roots, excluded, of course.)

#@#!#@!, I don't know, all I know is I love Ice-T, and Cube and NWA and Erik B and Rakim; but Tupac is dead and Biggie is dead... so what's their legacy. A bunch of sales figures for labels like Interscope; or is it Public Enemy and 'Fight The Power!!!' The later is the one I pick.
    Last edited by thegman24; 05-05-2007 at 02:51 AM. Reason: spelling

6. Music   -   #16
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post

edit: as for a genre that should become popular? DEFINITELY NOT METAL, if that ever became popular, us real metalheads are fucked, i dont want metal to ever become a fad, its my way of life lol

one genre i wouldn't mind coming back however is jazz (no, i did not just call jazz a fad), jazz is smooth as a mofo

I don't think you have to worry about metal becoming a fad although glam metal was the 80's style,but I know that's not what you meant.
    Metal will Always be around,as it should be.
    I don't think jazz will ever be on the top of the pop charts.
    I think it's a little too hard to dance to and most of the arrangements are too complicated for the 14,15,and 16 year olds who drive the pop market.
    Anyway I'd love to see Metal rule the F*@#ing world!!
    But I know what you mean about it becoming cheesy then and all the faggy copy cat bands who think because they look metal and saturate with distortion that they are metal.
    I think metal is definitely about attitude more than anything else.

7. Music   -   #17
    BassJunkie's Avatar Poster
    Na m8...... not a chance. Hip Hop for life!

8. Music   -   #18
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by BassJunkie View Post
    Na m8...... not a chance. Hip Hop for life!
    Hip Hop may be in your life forever,but as far as being the dominant force in music its time is coming to an end.
    This is simply how the Biz works.
    Everything,including music, works in cycles.
    Rap has been on top for quite a while now.
    It's time for a new cycle.
    Can't avoid history.....it is what it is.

9. Music   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post
    On its way out? No. Should it be? Prob. not, as long as there is a demand it'll stay. And like people have said in this thread, as long as there are clubs and parties you're gonna have rap playing (give me metal anyday).

Doesnt affect me since I don't really care, I listen to anything, mostly metal, but anything nonetheless

So you would stop listening to Metal music if it became popular, even if the quality stayed the same? Seems a bit stupid to only listen to music that other people don't.

I've been a massive fan of many bands before they became famous and haven't stopped listening to them just because they have become world famous.

I'd say thats just you trying to put out an image that you arn't 'scene' and into 'popular' music and trying to be 'different'.

10. Music   -   #20
    Like most genres, rap may undergo a partial renaissance once it goes back underground.

Trance is another genre that needs to go back underground - the 'popular' stuff that is labeled 'trance' is pure crap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast