Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuck!

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherdoobie View Post
    I lost my first system admin job... before it even started. I made a mistake when I was 20 years old. (fresh out of the Army) I have a felony record to show for it. I paid my dues - and moved forward with my life.

Or so I thought. (a security clearance was required for the job)

I feel sick and brokenhearted.

Fuck!

What to do... what to do?
    It's their loss. Security checks cost a decent amount of money.

I'm a little confused about something.

Did you put your conviction on your initial job app?

It seems a little weird for them to presack you...after a security check....for something you told them about already.

As I said, security checks cost moolah. One guy over here was going over to Federal Systems. The gubment was so backed up with security checks that the guy went into management. The security checks cost thousands. They wouldn't bother if they knew he had a conviction that wouldn't hold up on a background check.

Another guy that works here put on his app that he had a conviction on drug possession. Needless. to say he still got the job.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    I thought in the UK, depending on what you did wrong, the conviction after XX years is classed as "spent", and can't be held against you?

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 enables some criminal convictions to become 'spent', or ignored, after a 'rehabilitation period'.

A rehabilitation period is a set length of time from the date of conviction. After this period, with certain exceptions, an ex-offender is not normally obliged to mention their conviction when applying for a job or obtaining insurance, or when involved in criminal or civil proceedings.

The Act is more likely to help people with few and/or minor convictions because of the way further convictions extend the rehabilitation period. People with many convictions, especially serious convictions, may not benefit from the Act unless the last convictions are very old.

Applying For Jobs

Applicants with a criminal record who are asked on an application form or at an interview whether they have any previous convictions can answer 'no' if the convictions are spent and the job applied for is not excepted from the Act. Under the terms of the Act, a spent conviction shall not be proper grounds for not employing - or for sacking - someone. (If on the other hand, job applicants do not disclose unspent convictions, if asked to do so, they may be found out, dismissed on the grounds of having deceived the employer - and possibly prosecuted.)

The Act does not provide any means of enforcing a person's right not to be refused employment (or entry into a profession) on the grounds of a spent conviction. If, however, an employee can prove that they have been dismissed for a spent conviction and they have been in employment a year or more, they may be able to claim unfair dismissal under employment legislation.

Exceptions To The Act

There are some situations in which people will be expected to declare their convictions, even if they are spent. Some of the principal ones are:
    Appointment to any post providing accommodation, care, leisure and recreational facilities, schooling, social services, supervision or training to people aged under 18. Such posts include teachers, school caretakers, youth and social workers, child minders.
    Employment involving providing social services to elderly people, mentally or physically disabled people, alcohol or drug misusers or the chronically sick.
    Appointment to any office or employment involving the administration of justice, including police officers, probation officers, traffic wardens.
    Admission to certain professions which have legal protection (including lawyers, doctors, dentists, nurses, chemists, and accountants).
    Appointment to jobs where national security may be at risk (for example, certain posts in the civil service, defence contractors).

Application forms for posts which are excepted from the Act should always make this clear, although some employers claim posts are excepted when they are not. If in doubt, seek advice.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    We are more civilised tho'

5. Lounge   -   #25
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Oh BD.... so sorry mate, bet you are gutted....

Still, like others have said, keep at it and you will get a good job in the end, they would probably turned out to be a right bunch of gits to work for anyway, so see it as a lucky escape!!!

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Bad luck BD but hang in there. It was 16 years ago - not all companies are as black and white about such issues and not all system jobs require security clearance. You have the skills - they will match up with the right employer.

Option B is to hack into the records and turn yours into a parking offence.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Sextent View Post
    Appointment to jobs where national security may be at risk (for example, certain posts in the civil service, defence contractors).

Just to make something clear. The guy that got the job and had a drug possession conviction just works for the main company and not Federal Systems.

Even in the main comapny he cannot get clearance for FBI, Secret Service, Treasury, and most other fed buildings that other techs can get into. If he gets a job on his log at 1500 Pennsylvania Ave, for instance, he immediately notifies the supe that he can't go or switches jobs with another tech. Sometimes he can't get in an embassy either but they have their own rules.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 07-11-2007 at 08:30 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Move to the Netherlands m8

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine_If View Post
    Why? Do they let anyone work in sensitive jobs?

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine_If View Post
    Why? Do they let anyone work in sensitive jobs?
    What they do in the Netherlands is this..if you are looking for a job say in banking,.. or security (as an example) ..then a Certificate of "good behavior " is always required by the employer..one can apply for it by the local council offices (town hall) . . Your behavior over the last 4 years is what they check..and if one has behaved oneself in that period..then you receive that certificate..and thats it. Of course..if you have murdered someone..then you will not receive that certificate!

These certificates are being required by employers more and more these days..since all the Islamic bomb attacks.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast