Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Have Done?if The War Did'nt Happen?

Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+27 June 2003 - 00:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced &#064; 27 June 2003 - 00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-JPaul@26 June 2003 - 23:37
    There is every difference in the world between these atrocities taking place in a country and the government of that country doing it to their people.

Drug trafficking takes place in the UK, that does not make the government drug traffickers. Similarly with rape and murder. They happen here, but not because the government cause them to happen.

The point which was made earlier is that rape, murder and heaven knows what else was taking place, in Iraq, at the behest and instruction of the "government". It was part of the whole terror / control method of subjugating the people.
    So, your saying that we now march on Burma, Zimbabwe, Libya, North Korea, Half of South America.........

?[/b][/quote]
    I am saying no such thing. I am replying to an earlier post which was using specious arguments.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Poster
    @ Clocker

What&#39;s the chances, similar sentiments posted almost simultaneously.

Mine was better though.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by JPaul@26 June 2003 - 18:26
    @ Clocker

What&#39;s the chances, similar sentiments posted almost simultaneously.

Mine was better though.
    My first two attempts( which got me disconnected) blew yours out of the water.

The post that actually made it was inferior to yours.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Poster
    Yeah - really. That&#39;s easy for you to say.

Go file your cogs. Literally and figuratively.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Originally posted by JPaul@26 June 2003 - 18:41

Go file your cogs. Literally and figuratively.
    Watch out, JPaul.

They can make me better&#33; faster&#33; stronger&#33;...

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@27 June 2003 - 01:29
    Can they teach you where to put an apostrophe.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Originally posted by JPaul+26 June 2003 - 19:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 26 June 2003 - 19:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@27 June 2003 - 01:29
    Can they teach you where to put an apostrophe. [/b][/quote]
    Th&#39;at wil b part&#39; of the so&#39;ftwar upgrade, Im sure.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker+26 June 2003 - 20:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 26 June 2003 - 20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@26 June 2003 - 19:16
    <!--QuoteBegin-clocker
    @27 June 2003 - 01:29

Can they teach you where to put an apostrophe.
    Th&#39;at wil b part&#39; of the so&#39;ftwar upgrade, Im sure.[/b][/quote]
    Would that then be: "Ctrl+Alt+Con"ascend"?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Originally posted by clocker@26 June 2003 - 20:21

Not at all.

My perception of her post was that "American businessmen" were the driving force behind this slavery/prostitution trade, which I find to be a highly dubious assertion.

I am getting "too many connections/mysql error"ed to death here.
    Unfortunately, your perception was incorrect. I was merely pointing out that from what I have researched, these young girls are visited most often by American businessmen... this is out of the mouths of the brothel owners themselves, I insinuated nothing.

As for those of you pointing out that many countries have a criminal element not supported by the governments of these countries.. how true, but not my point at all. I was saying that in India, China, Japan, etc... these rapist actions are CONDONED by the government. It is not a criminal element, it is not wrong to them, it is LEGAL to do this&#33; I would definitely say that makes the gov&#39;t a party to the crime... no matter how you look at it.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by angellynn26@25 June 2003 - 17:32
    I also agree that Bush was not the man to do this.&nbsp; Not because of the feelings the rest of the world has against him, but because his father was the one who started this war with Sadaam.&nbsp; Not to mention the fact that Sr. and Reagan were the ones responsible for putting him into power to begin with&#33;&nbsp; It was not going to be a pretty situation for Jr. no matter which way he approached it.&nbsp; And his choices throughout the situation with Iraq only made it worse for him.&nbsp;

So, what I would have done differently is to have someone else in charge.
    Your dismissal of Bush the younger as a capable leader begs the question:

If not him, who?

Your anti-conservative vehemence also invites comparisons between Bush and the last liberal president and current icon, Bill Clinton.

Forgive the pun, but Mr. Clinton&#39;s resume is not without a few "stains"-to name a very few:

The Whitewater fiasco was much more than just an "ill-advised financial speculation".

His efforts at projecting U.S. military might abroad were largely misguided and ineffectual, and in the case of Saddam and Iraq, misleading as well.

While it is convenient-and more than a bit disingenuous-to paint Bush as the oil-hungry crony and pawn of back-door interests, the same argument could be made (however speciously) about anybody, including Clinton, or Al Gore, for that matter.

Point being, unless proven by some irrefutable means, accusations of industrial collusion are best left out of the debate.

As for dragging Bush the elder and Reagan into the fray, to do so serves no purpose other than to paint yourself into a liberal "corner", from which you might find yourself fielding such questions as "Why are our schools such a mess when we spend so much money on them, and why are they demanding more of my hard-earned cash?"

One thing at a time, angellynn26.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast