Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Buddhist Nation instead of a Christian Nation

Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Would all the domestic large animals that fed on smaller animals perish because the buddhist couldn't sacrifice one life to save another, all life being equally valuable and all that.... I always wondered how they dealt with that dilemma...??? ''Oh Buddha what should I do'' ...My point is I don't think the Americans would be able to cope with that sort of paradox and their country would implode...Just my opinion.....
    Now go away.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If the Americans were all Buddhists it would not be a dilemma to them.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Would all the domestic large animals that fed on smaller animals perish because the buddhist couldn't sacrifice one life to save another, all life being equally valuable and all that.... I always wondered how they dealt with that dilemma...??? ''Oh Buddha what should I do'' ...My point is I don't think the Americans would be able to cope with that sort of paradox and their country would implode...Just my opinion.....
    What domestic animal are you talking about..that feed on smaller ones ..Chickens...Lions or Tigers...

No one ever approaces Buddha like that..in fact sef-reliance is what is taught so don't come with such dis-information and downright stupidity, Benchez...
    Last edited by thewizeard; 09-06-2007 at 07:22 AM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    It's clear that America has a lot to learn from Buddhist values, that there is much work to be done integrating these major worldviews moving forward.

And we can see such movement occuring, in the increasing emphasis on sustainability and environmental responsibility.

Of course, it's still a long, hard road ahead.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Quote Originally Posted by polarix View Post
    It's clear that America has a lot to learn from Buddhist values, that there is much work to be done integrating these major worldviews moving forward.

And we can see such movement occuring, in the increasing emphasis on sustainability and environmental responsibility.

What values could Americans learn from Buddha as opposed to Christian values?
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post

What values could Americans learn from Buddha as opposed to Christian values?
    Yes, I wonder.

We've elbowed our way to the front of the pack with what we have, and I'll be damned if I can see an upside to incorporating other "major worldviews", such as "jihad".

In the interest of equality (and we must admit that overweening concern is at the base of such concerns, yes?) why don't we insist that the "worldview" espoused by the U.S. be adopted universally?

Now there's a formula for success.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Well, there's a slight difference between militant islam and buddhism. I think the 'jihad', or the 'crusade' j2k4 seems to be espousing (are you being facetious?), is about as far from a buddhist concept as can be.

Perhaps if true (mystical) Christian values caught on, it would have a similar effect as the introduction of Buddhist values. But what I'm saying would be very valuable to the US is a measure of introspection and a sense of responsibility to one's surroundings.

j2k4, I really hope you're joking.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Well, there's a slight difference between militant islam and buddhism. I think the 'jihad', or the 'crusade' j2k4 seems to be espousing (are you being facetious?), is about as far from a buddhist concept as can be.

Perhaps if true (mystical) Christian values caught on, it would have a similar effect as the introduction of Buddhist values. But what I'm saying would be very valuable to the US is a measure of introspection and a sense of responsibility to one's surroundings.

Once you delve into "major worldviews", you've expanded the palette to include much more than Buddhism, and arrived at a point at which I would really hope you're joking.

While we're on the subject, maybe you could explain to me what about Buddhism, apart from it's passive/pacifist characteristics, stirs you so.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Once you delve into "major worldviews", you've expanded the palette to include much more than Buddhism, and arrived at a point at which I would really hope you're joking.

While we're on the subject, maybe you could explain to me what about Buddhism, apart from it's passive/pacifist characteristics, stirs you so.
    Promoting Buddhism as a pacifist way of life is a myth. They have broken up into various sects as have all other 'ways of life'. I cant remember offhand any organization formed by man that has not broken up into sects through squabbling and such like.
    As I said earlier one such Buddhist sect was believed to have been responsible for the Tokyo subway(Not the sandwich place) bombings.

I have included a link to an article about Buddhist violence down the ages. If you have a spare half hour.

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html
    Last edited by bigboab; 09-17-2007 at 08:00 AM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Promoting Buddhism as a pacifist way of life is a myth. They have broken up into various sects as have all other 'ways of life'. I cant remember offhand any organization formed by man that has not broken up into sects through squabbling and such like.
    As I said earlier one such Buddhist sect was believed to have been responsible for the Tokyo subway(Not the sandwich place) bombings.

I have included a link to an article about Buddhist violence down the ages. If you have a spare half hour.

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html
    Thank you, Robert; now I shant get a response from Polarix.

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast