Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are trackers staffs taking profits from donation ?

TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    The donation market fluctuates...

Christmas time is always a poor time for donations, simply because your saving your pennies to buy Aunty Irene and Uncle Bob that present you felt would be ideal for them.

The height of Summer is also a dead spot for donations, because you would be thinking of how much you need to spend when you visit the Bahamas.

With that in mind, trackers get more donations during the quieter parts of the year, which they often put aside into a backup fund, to counter to times when donations are short.

That's not to say that some places don't earn from donations, because they do, but the majority of small communities break even, and I even know of communities that shut down because they were always under funded (no community can live on the charity of it's SysOp/Owner indefinitely, otherwise that means one or two are carrying the burden for many, when it should be shared).

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    aa
    Last edited by ScreaminJay; 01-04-2008 at 06:36 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    While I don't agree with trackers asking for more then they need, if there happens to be extra (More donations recieved then usual, or got a credit on server costs for customer satisfaction from hosting company, or something similar to this) then I don't really care what they do with it. They made the site, and its theirs to do with as they please. If you don't like it, don't donate, its just that simple.
    Of course these trackers that PM everyone every few weeks asking for more then they really need makes me mad. If the users don't feel inclined to donate, maybe the site should just die.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by fstokebanget View Post
    Just wonder, even they said that all the donations would go the the server maintenance, but I still think that some of the donations is going to their own pocket. What do you think ? Or maybe I'm wrong.

Ask yourself the same question.

Imagine you had a popular site with donations being on time regularly and popular enough to feed the bills more than what is needed what would you do?

There is your answer if you don't agree ask some of your family and you would notice what the majority of the people would do.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    hehe, so it's true, money is the root of all evil

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Time is money, so if it ends up being a full time employment looking after the tracker, then they should be compensated for that, however just like in all walks of life, the greedy ones make it harder to justify to one and all.

Just have to take the rough with the smooth.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    I think taking money is fair enough, as long as it doesn't effect the site (ie taking money which could be put towards server costs). I mean staff members put a bit of time into the site.

Also i laugh at funfile. Apparently they rent out heaps of servers etc to try boost their sites torrent speeds (kinda like how places like sct manage great speeds due to all their user's seedboxes), but it still sucks.

Someone invite me to fsc please

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    JROQuinn's Avatar Rev. Maynard BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Why others worry what people do with their money anyway? Does it directly affect you that worry about it except for the effect that you worry about it? Well go to irc & dont worry about it
    Last edited by JROQuinn; 12-28-2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: oops spelling

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Theoretically, and morally, it doesnt sound good for staff to be keeping money for themselves. But if one takes a closer look, time does have a monetary value. Sometimes, being a mod can be time consuming and may seem like a part time job. It can be tough.

I know that some staff on non-torrenting sites use the extra money for contests and other stuff.

Perhaps, the donators want to be aware of how their money is being spent.
    It depends on one's outlook on life

To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    aa
    Last edited by ScreaminJay; 01-04-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast